Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Circus is a Family

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Eliza
Eliza

Things that I am :
  • Gold Hoarder
  • Medium Poster
  • Really Too Kind
  • Thrall of Zay
  • Rebel of Rogue

Female Loveliness : 8

The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 4:44 pm

In her dazed state she was still in lots of pain, but she croaked once or twice and coughed before actually saying something. "Rhys. . .you'll pay for this. . .I swear. . ." Rain still pelted her shoulder and every little thing that touched it sent waves of pain throughout her body. No, contrary to common sense she wasn't blaming poor Fredrick for what happened to her. It had been her co-worker who wandered out here and basically provoked the creature, therefore it was his fault and she was going to have her revenge one way or another.

In a recess at the back of her mind she'd come up with the idea to name the creature Fredrick. Why did she name it? Who knows. She just wanted it to have a name. If only she could move, she'd rip Rhys a new one in a heartbeat. "Fredrick." she croaked. She dared not try to speak again, it hurt too much.
Back to top Go down
Artemis
Artemis

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • SR Salamander
  • DDC Dingo
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Troll Fanatic
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

Female Loveliness : 73

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 7:51 pm

Urgh, that was just nasty. Zhenya wrinkled her nose as the thing began to bludgeon its meal with a rock. It seemed just about the least efficient way to get eating, but much to her surprise it broke through the hide relatively quickly and began to devour the meat inside.
“Don’t think much of that’s going to be useable after he’s done,” she muttered darkly to Rhynna. The pair stood and watched the spider-boy while he ate, until he was done and the dragon put her plan into action.

She was triumphantly delighted when it succeeded, flashing her rider a glowing look of pride before turning back to watch him arranging Rhys on his back. The man became more than a little smeared with blood in the process, but better dirty and safe than clean but left in the forest to be eaten, right? As the hybrid pointed back and forth, she nodded encouragingly before moving forwards a little to watch, intrigued, as he took an old and dried- out flower from some hidden part of his web. The antler was enchanted by this touch of humanity, this bizarre creature swiftly becoming her favourite new pet.
“Isn’t he sweet!” she exclaimed, beaming.
“It’s not the first word I’d use, more like creepy, but whatever floats your boat.” Rhynna briefly stuck out her tongue in a teasing manner before seeming to remember that she had a possibly-dying woman on her back and sobered up somewhat, just in time to hear Silence’s croaky word. Craning her head round to follow the woman’s line of sight let her guess that she meant the spider-boy.
“Ah, you’re right! Fredrick does suit him!” She flicked her tail. “Well, it’s good to have a name for him. Come on now, Fredrick!”

With that, she began to move smoothly away through the trees and towards the circus, trying to make the ride as easy as possible for Silence. Shaking her head incredulously at the dragon’s sudden change in attitude, Zhenya followed her, jogging to keep up with the much longer legs of the antler. Hopefully their colleagues weren’t too badly hurt; there weren’t any very skilled healers at the circus, and making a trip to the nearest town wouldn’t exactly be an easy feat.
Back to top Go down
Jula
Jula

Things that I am :
  • "Nice Guy"
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Complete Newbie
  • Medium Poster
  • Short Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind

Female Loveliness : 0

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 11:51 pm

((Time skipping because people said it was a good idea. No power-play intended.))

"Fredrick," He repeated back. He smacked his lips as he said it, clearly and concisely. It wasn't the first time he's heard somebody say that. It was a very easy word to repeat. The rest was still greek to him, but that word caught his attention, like it meant something. He blinked as he heard them say it twice.

Well at least he had working human vocal cords. Maybe he could learn to communicate in the future, too. Huzzah! "Fredree? Fredrick... Fejri-KUH."

Well, with that word out of the way, he went on to follow them. He didn't argue or anything, just kinda awkwardly kept close at their heels, kind of regretting that he was leaving all his webbing behind. He'd be back, he figured. But he should have eaten some of it. It took a LOT of energy and substance to make webs, and eating it was a good way of recycling it so he wouldn't have to eat as much real food for his next batch. Maybe when he came back something else would be in it, or, if nothing else, it would still be in tact.

The rain did a lot to clean him a little bit. Even the bloody mess he just made on his face, and the cut against his human flesh, he used some of the water to rub it away as he walked to clean up.

But otherwise he was pretty obedient along the long stretch of travel. He made sure his first captive didn't fall off his back. As the forest broke into the clearing that made up the circus, he was immediately wary of it. It was huge! All these... people....

scary, scary people.

He shied back, and let out a grunt of dissatisfaction. "Huh." And he made an unhappy-face. But, everybody else was still going in, so after a few side-steps to avoid the forward-travelling, he continued on, feeling terribly small. This was awfully out of his element. And there were less branches. People were all complicated and had weapon-things and did a lot more talking and struggling and worked together (as he had just witnessed), so he was feeling like he could be easily jumped here. Vulnerability was still a new feeling to him. He wasn't fond of it at all.

He had way to many questions about WHERE they are, but he had no way to ask them. And no way to get an answer back. "Nnnnn?" He tried with kind of a concerned whine. He kept his dead deer and flower close to him possessively as they ventured in deeper, towards a tent.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

Female Loveliness : 16

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 6:25 pm

It must have had something to do with the change of atmosphere, but as they neared the circus, Rhys gave a grown, and started to come round. His eyes opened, and he realised immediately that he was actually (gulp) touching the scary spider creature, and that he was still with them. Well, that woke him up – he leapt a few feet in the air and landed on the ground with a roll, standing up to dust himself down well away from Fredrick. His head felt funny, and his dignity was long gone, but he fell into pace beside the others, trying to pretend nothing had happened. It was about as subtle as an elephant in a tutu, trying to dance. However, they were all still alive, right? Surely no one could be /that/ angry…

“Did I, erm, miss much?” he said after a moment, using one hand to adjust his eye patch. It gave him an excuse to avoid any eye contact, which was ideal since he’d been such a huge inconvenience for a while. It was a bit of a nervous habit of his, but his time spend blacked out had genuinely shifted it a bit this time, revealing another quarter-inch of the long, pink scar underneath. He didn’t like showing more of it that necessary, which was why he wore such long eye patches, and more often than not some sort of silk scarf to cover the point where it passed his neckline.

Back to top Go down
Eliza
Eliza

Things that I am :
  • Gold Hoarder
  • Medium Poster
  • Really Too Kind
  • Thrall of Zay
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 10:49 pm

By the time Rhys woke up she was beyond enraged with him. Her voice had also recovered after a fashion, and she could contort her face at least somewhat. The rest of her body was still frozen stiff in paralysis. "Rhys you owe me big time you stupid magpie!" Yes, her voice was still somewhat gravelly and not quite as smooth as it had been, but it was her voice nonetheless. "If Fredrick hadn't paralyzed me I'd beat you senseless!"

After those brief statements her vocal cords started to scream in pain. "Though it's not so much that you wanted us hurt, it's that you went off by yourself and didn't tell anyone. I'm what half your age and I know better than that?!" Suddenly all the anger she felt was making her dizzy, her heart rate was going through the roof. This was just another part of the bite she'd incurred by defending her coworker no doubt. Oh that one-eyed sleaze owed her BIG TIME and she was going to be sure to remind him when she could see straight enough to knock him stupid.
Back to top Go down
Artemis
Artemis

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • SR Salamander
  • DDC Dingo
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Troll Fanatic
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 5:28 pm

In Zhenya’s opinion, it was nothing but creepy the way that the spider-boy was trying to say his new name. But Rhynna was smiling fondly down at Fredrick, charmed by the fact that he could talk.
“That’s right!” she told him encouragingly. “Your name is Fredrick!” The avian made a quiet retching noise and turned away, earning her a reproachful look.

They both jumped when Rhys abruptly woke, though not quite as much as he himself had.
“Not a lot. Rhynna insisted on taking this thing home as a pet, and she managed to get it to carry you. Next time, try not to collapse.” She gave him an extremely sour look, not at all pleased with him for causing so much trouble- especially when this had all been his fault in the first place. Silence’s words were entirely justified, and Zhenya backed them up with vehement nods. “Thinking before acting is usually a good policy, you know.” She didn’t really have anything against Rhys- he could be annoying, true, but he had his amusing moments- but right now, she just wasn’t feeling like being the nice one.

That feeling never applied to Rhynna.
“Look now, there’s no need to argue,” she said anxiously, twisting her head round to look at Silence on her back before glancing back down at the other two. “Rhys made a mistake, but… well, doesn’t everyone make mistakes?” The dragon herself was feeling more relief that Silence seemed to be getting better and nobody else was hurt than anger at Rhys for starting the whole thing- after all, Fredrick clearly needed help. There definitely was something not right with him. True, other improbable species morphs existed- centaurs, for example- but they all looked more natural than the spider-boy.

Now, there was another thing to remove her attention. As they moved out into the large clearing where the circus was currently based, Fredrick was looking more tense by the second. Rhynna leant down to his level and, in what she hoped he would find a reassuring tone of voice, told him,
“Don’t worry now, we won’t hurt you. We’re going to help you, alright?” Maybe he couldn’t understand her, but she didn’t suppose it was going to do any harm.
Back to top Go down
Jula
Jula

Things that I am :
  • "Nice Guy"
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Complete Newbie
  • Medium Poster
  • Short Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 6:41 pm

The spider-boy didn't QUITE YET connect the word "Fredrick" with his own identity, but at least, as a word, it stood out, and that was a good start.

Fredrick had half a mind to wander back to the woods while they all sat around chatting loudly at each other. It seemed like a good distraction. His nervousness of being out in the open without cover definitely outweighed his curiosity. He wasn't a particularly curious creature in general to begin with. He had already learned that curiosity led to bad stupid things.

Well, since Rhys was now off his back, he shifted his deer carcass onto his back, which he figured wouldn't tear up his meal as much as dragging it did. He jerked back in a little surprise (since he was clearly jumpy and nervous) when Rhynna moved down to eye-level and started making sounds at him. He gave her a questionable look, but decided to nod in reply to her sounds. Nodding seemed like the thing to do. However, it was clear her words didn't get through to him at all because he didn't look any less nervous by the end of it. By this point, he let somebody else take the lead, and, against his better judgement, just kept following the humans. Maybe if he shared the deer they gave him, that would be the nice thing to do. Meanwhile, though, he decided to keep his sharp little fangs out, in the way of a defensive threat to keep the other humans back.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 7:15 pm

O.K., so Rhys’ attempt to blend in hadn’t exactly worked. He flinched visibly as Silence spoke, her fiery voice threatening even when she couldn’t stand. He knew she was telling the cold, harsh truth. He tried to find some snappy comeback, but his voice had turned into a mouse. “I know – I’m sorry.” He squeaked, managing to slide the apology in just before Zhenya added her voice to the discussion. The mouse of his voice ran away, and his courage drifted back – Silence’s withering words no longer an issue. “Try not to collapse? What did you want me to do? I stopped him killing Silence with that egg trick, remember? I did my goddamned best!” he protested, his hands forming loose, irritated fists by his side. His dignity had been dented, and that was something he couldn’t help but react to. However, her second remark cut though him again, and he sagged visibly, cut.

“You’re right,” he admitted, in the mouse-voice once again, “I should have though. You’d think I would have learnt after the last time…” he trailed off, his fingertips brushing the still-raw, angry scar down his face, reminding him of what he had lost not so long ago. Sure, he’d had months to heal, but cuts that deep took years, and he’d been a fool to ignore it. He slipped into silence, keeping as far away from Fredrick (he presumed that was what they were calling the spider-thing now) as possible. Well, they were almost home now – he could busy himself teasing the sticky threads out of his coat for long enough to let the others cool off, right? However, Silence’s anger still prickled his spine – he was genuinely scared of the fire-breather, when it all came down to it, and really didn’t want to be on her bad side when she got to her feet again.

Back to top Go down
Eliza
Eliza

Things that I am :
  • Gold Hoarder
  • Medium Poster
  • Really Too Kind
  • Thrall of Zay
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 8:18 pm

As far as apologies went, Rhys had done all he could by her standards. There was no real way for him to make it up to her considering the circumstances. "If it weren't for you I'd be dead. I at least owe you my thanks. Now, can I get down?" For once that day it hadn't occurred to her that her legs couldn't move on their own. She didn't like being that high off the ground either, it was starting to freak her out since she'd no clue how she got up there.

It was only when she tried to move that she remembered why she was up there in the first place and she started to panic a little when she couldn't move. "Please? Someone get me down?" Hysteria was starting to set in and shock wasn't going to be of any help either. Things were getting very complicated indeed.
Back to top Go down
Artemis
Artemis

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • SR Salamander
  • DDC Dingo
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Troll Fanatic
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 9:59 pm

“Yeah, I know… Good thing you did have the egg, too. It’s okay, I guess Rhynna’s right. Just try not to do it again.” Zhenya glanced sideways to give Rhys a wry smile, before slowing to a halt when Silence spoke. Rhynna was still fussing over Fredrick, beaming at his appropriate reaction to her words and trying to look unthreatening as she watched him moving his deer around to carry it on his back. Despite her distraction though, she looked around once more when her passenger spoke, her voice becoming tense and strained with concern.
“I don’t know if that’s safe,” she worried. “I mean you’re, you’re not well, we need to get you some help. We need a healer…”
“Stop panicking,” cut in Zhenya, heaving a sigh. “Silence, I can get you down, that’s fine.” She strode over and lifted the girl from her dragon’s back, supporting her in a standing position once she was down. “Better?”
“You don’t feel like you might lose consciousness again, do you?” fretted Rhynna. Ever inclined to be nurturing, the antler dragon was terrified that this spider bite wasn’t going to go away on its own. She knew that Fredrick still had his fangs on show, but she wasn’t worried about being bitten herself- she was big enough that she would likely be fine, if ill, and she didn’t think he was going to. All the same, the venom was in her colleague’s system, and it was undeniably doing some damage. She didn’t know how to tell whether or not the symptoms would just go away… a healer would be needed for that. Really, a healer just seemed like what they needed.

And maybe someone to tell them what was going on with the spider-boy.
Back to top Go down
Jula
Jula

Things that I am :
  • "Nice Guy"
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Complete Newbie
  • Medium Poster
  • Short Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 11:39 pm

Everybody was still making loud noises at each other. Less loud than before, at least, though.

He still wasn't really sure how to shake this feeling of badness - Guilt - or whatever it was. People mostly seemed to be displeased with the fellow he had caught in his web and had been about to eat. He made a slightly sad face, and, as much as he could, he moved over to Rhys, keeping his hands up and his palms open and outwards to not scare the fleshy prey. With as much gentleness as he could muster, he reached over Rhys with a sad expression, and patted his head. All of this was done in the way of an apology, kind of. He wanted to alleviate the bad feeling he had, and he thought that this might help, if the human didn't feel as afraid.

Fortunately for Silence, with the mild dosage of poison that he had given her, enough walking could help sweat it all out and it might all be gone by the time she woke up tomorrow. But, even he didn't know what ill effects she might have. Still, she was walking, and normally when he bit something, it had stopped walking forever. So he figured that she'd probably live if nothing else. He wasn't too concerned about it.

But, once he was done patting Rhy's head (three pats were sufficient, he decided), he decided to fall into step behind Rhynna. As scary as the big dragon was, he decided he liked her the best because she had been the one to give him deer meat.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 9:23 pm

Rhys flinched as Fredrick moved closer, and froze up completely as he got within grabbing distance, but the sad expression on his face melted Rhys completely. He looked just like a boy – a child, beyond the terrifying legs. Rhys gave a cautious smile, and managed a nervous laugh as he was patted on the head. As Fredrick moved back to a safer distance (for Rhys was still wary of the creature) he broke into a full bodied grin, and turned to see Silence, who seemed to be recovering somewhat. It was good to see her on her feet, even if it meant he was probably in for a stern talking to sooner than he would have expected. Either way, everyone’s focus had shifted, so he could go back to life as normal.

“So, what’s the plan? I mean, we’ve got to get a healer to take a look at Silence, but there’s sure to be someone around the camp. Is there anything else?” Rhys asked, trying to keep his voice sincere. On a normal day, he would have cracked off at least three puns by then, or at least made some sarcastic comment, but he didn’t really want to make any more of a mess of things until he knew everyone was alright. He felt guilty enough for the whole thing as it was – it was his stupid idea to go off out into the woods after all.

Back to top Go down
Eliza
Eliza

Things that I am :
  • Gold Hoarder
  • Medium Poster
  • Really Too Kind
  • Thrall of Zay
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 3:14 am

"Here's the short list: I can't feel my left arm at all, my legs feel like gelatin, my head is spinning and something tells me my shoulder is bleeding and throbbing in pain." There wasn't really any anger in her voice, she sounded more like she was delirious and after her reply she half choked out a laugh and made her best attempt at a smile.

For the life of her she couldn't figure out why everything was in doubles and why they were spinning. "I think I'm seeing double as well, but that I think will go away in a little while once I get moving again." Seeing double usually ended in more trouble than it was worth to start with, but her brain was still muddled and half her sentences came out backward rather than forward like they were supposed to. The one thing that felt alien now was the fact she wanted to eat. Of all the times for her stomach to growl it had to be NOW?!
Back to top Go down
Artemis
Artemis

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • SR Salamander
  • DDC Dingo
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Troll Fanatic
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 6:11 pm

As she watched Fredrick move over to Rhys and give him what was presumably meant to be a reassuring pat, Rhynna’s face became soppy to a sickening point.
“Isn’t he sweet!” she murmured delightedly to the others. “He can’t have meant to hurt Silence. He was probably just scared.” Her neck twisted to follow his movement as he came round behind her, and she carefully held her tail out of his way as they continued, she turning back to face forwards.
“A healer, yes… well, hopefully everyone will be in at the camp, then that won’t be a problem. As long as you’re not too badly affected, Silence…” Anxiously, she peered down at the woman for a few moments before sighing and straightening up again. “And we’ll need to find somewhere for Fredrick to live. I think we should let him settle in for a day or so before we start teaching him anything for the show. He’s looking thin, too… we’ll make sure to feed him plenty.” Zhenya simply rolled her eyes as the dragon went on, crossing her arms with a distinct air of humouring her friend.

At Silence’s summary of her situation, the avian grimaced slightly and moved closer to the younger girl, wrapping one arm around her waist to give support.
“I didn’t realise you felt so bad,” she frowned. “You’ll be alright till we get back to camp, right?”
“Here!” cut in Rhynna, sounding inspired as she hurried forwards and round the bipeds. “Let me give you some strength, that’ll help you. I don’t know if it’ll help you get better faster, maybe… but you’ll be able to walk more easily.”
Back to top Go down
Jula
Jula

Things that I am :
  • "Nice Guy"
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Complete Newbie
  • Medium Poster
  • Short Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 11:58 am

Now that he had "said" his part, he took the time to really observe where he was while the humans (and that dragon) used their mouths to share secrets he couldn't understand. It was terribly frustrating, more than anything. He could hear tension, and he still felt guilty and vulnerable, but it seemed like everything was okay, so what were they talking about? He focused on the surrounding circus grounds while he tried to pick up on the meaning of their words, but to no avail.

For that matter, why did he decide to follow them? He couldn't remember. It had just been a passing thought, and now he was feeling more inclined to go back into the shelter. Because they had food, yes, apparently, but he was pretty sure that there might be conflict with them in the near future if he kept sticking around... or, at least if they didn't keep providing him with food.

Well, if that happened, he supposed he could just leave then. It wasn't like they had any way of assuring him that they WOULD keep giving him food. Besides that, why would they, after he tried to eat them? But nobody was telling him to leave yet, even now that he wasn't carrying anybody. Nobody was yelling at him. He had done his part by taking him back, right?

Or did they want him here so they could just keep the forest a safer place?

He stopped following them for a bit, and, with his arms kind of wrapped around himself, he looked back towards the woods, debating.

On the one hand, here and now was a terrible time for him to be fending for himself apparently, since he hadn't really caught any food in the last couple of days. In retrospect, probably because the humans HAD been so close. Maybe, if he went back, he could find a farther place to hunt.

But what if that wasn't the problem at all? What if the animals were just scarce, and his lack of grace, speed, and natural resources just made him a lousy hunter, and things were just avoiding his web out of luck?

On the other hand, this place had no assurances either. There were too many human-types and not enough trees.

Maybe, if he had something more...

Well, he was a little human, right? He didn't know what his face looked like, but he had the hands and torso of a human-person... maybe he could get one of their weapons and be a better hunter! So he wouldn't have to be stationary and depend on luck. He didn't know how well that would work, but if nothing else, he'd feel safer. Then again, having more weapons was an easy way to make anybody feel safer anywhere.

With this decided, he turned back to "his" humans and started intruding in Zhenya's space. He knew SHE had the sharp shinies. He could take one of hers. He wasn't necessarily trying to "steal" it since he didn't really understand ownership (unless it came to things that were distinctly his), he just wanted to take hers and make it his. He needed it more. She should understand that. So without any subtlety, he went for the knife that Zhenya had stuck back into her belt.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 3:38 pm

Rhys bit his lip as Silence reeled off a list of what was wrong, but decided not to actually respond – it hadn’t been directed at him anyway. Things were looking properly familiar now anyway, so it would only take them a matter of minutes to reach the main body of the circs camp now. He could see signs of the camp already. “Surely he can stay with the animal-tamers, cant he? Their tent is secure, and someone is bound to understand him a bit better.” He suggested, figuring that they would have enough food to fill the spider-creature up and stop him trying to snack on any of them again.

As they continued down the dirt path, he caught sight of the coloured canvas of the main tent through the trees, and increased his pace a little. “’S alright gals, we’re back.” He grinned, clearly relaxing for the first time since leaving the camp. However, when he turned around, his guard went up again, and he fixed Fredrick with a distrusting glare. Zhenya, watch yerself.” He advised, stepping back.
Back to top Go down
Eliza
Eliza

Things that I am :
  • Gold Hoarder
  • Medium Poster
  • Really Too Kind
  • Thrall of Zay
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 5:06 pm

Things started to get rather hazy and her double vision grew more skewed as she felt she was losing her balance. The world just kept spinning, and there wasn't too much that she could do. Through the blur she saw Fredrick move closer to Zhenya and it seemed her speech was starting to sound slowed down. "Look out. Don't know what he's doing." That was what she'd MEANT to say, instead it came out as "L'out. . .D'know. . .he's doin'." On impulse she tried to move away and nodded in agreement when Rhys spoke.

As she stumbled, she could have sworn she'd just run into Rhynna judging by the fact that she was resting against something soft and almost fuzzy. By that point she was just tired of moving, and she made it known in no uncertain terms by just about falling asleep. "Sorry, Rhynna." she mumbled. Finally it seemed that she'd get some rest, but somehow that didn't look likely to happen since Fredrick was moving and Rhys had started glaring for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Artemis
Artemis

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • SR Salamander
  • DDC Dingo
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Troll Fanatic
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 9:55 am

When the scuttling behind gradually drew to a halt, Rhynna looked round with a concerned frown to see what was the matter with Fredrick.
“Come on,” she encouraged him gently. “We’re just going to look after you, make you more comfortable.” After giving him a reassuring smile, she swung her head back round to hear what Rhys had to say.

“Sounds like a good plan,” Zhenya said, nodding. “Somebody who knows how to take care of him.” Well, that and she really didn’t want the creature staying in the tent she shared with Rhynna. It might be a big one to fit in the dragon’s bulk, but Fredrick would still be all too close and frankly that thing creeped her out.

Unfortunately, Rhynna had other ideas.
“That’s not fair! Look at him, he’s half human. They can’t just put him in a cage and be done with it.”
“He’s not going to be allowed to stay if the tamers can’t train him to do something useful,” Zhenya pointed out. “Nobody likes a dead weight.” The antler fell silent at this, staring musingly down at the ground.

What happened next only served to back up Zhenya’s thoughts. With a yelp of surprise, she leapt backwards and away from Fredrick as he came at her with an evil glint in his eyes.
“Get off me!” she yelled, regaining her composure somewhat and leaping into the air to aim a forceful kick at the thing’s face. She might not have had any training in martial arts, but she knew plenty about moving in the air, and after the experience which had made her leave home in the first place she had made sure to teach herself how to deal pain.
“No! Fredrick! Zhenya! Stop!” Flustered, Rhynna dashed forwards and hovered about the two, unsure of how to help. Seeing Fredrick make a dive for the knife, the avian shrieked and drew it from her belt, holding the point out to Fredrick in an amateur but dangerous way.
Back to top Go down
Jula
Jula

Things that I am :
  • "Nice Guy"
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Complete Newbie
  • Medium Poster
  • Short Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 7:52 pm

The Initial shock of the kick made him reel. He hadn't been expecting that. a Spike of anger rose in him, and he balled his hand into a fist and made an impulsive swing for Zhenya's face in vengeance for his own. Immediately after the swing, though, whether it hit or not, he calmed down and backed off, realizing a bit late that Zhenya was feeling threatened when she pointed the knife at him. Well, that made sense. He took a second to recover by making a few faces, to stretch his "wounded" face back out, and put his hand to his nose to see if it was bleeding - It wasn't. He frowned a bit, and blinked at the knife. That was what he wanted.

But, she looked like she was holding it awfully tight, so it didn't *really* look like she wanted to give it to him.

He pointed to the knife, then he pointed to himself, and then he pointed his finger back towards the woods.

Hoping that that communicated what he wanted, he maintained a distance from Zhenya, and slowly held his hand out below hers, palm up, politely waiting for her to give the knife to him. Surely, that argument had been convincing enough, right?
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 9:30 pm

/Great/ Rhys thought to himself, /the bugger wants to go back to the woods/. Part of him wanted to add: /well, good riddance/ to the thought, but they’d already worked damned hard to get Fredrick this far. He wasn’t about to let the spidery-creature go after all the effort they had gone through to get him to come with them. The thought of Fredrick having a weapon made him shudder, however, and forced him to actually speak instead of thinking bitterly to himself.

“Don’t give it to ‘im. The knife, that is. He’s dangerous enough already.” He said coldly, still not entertaining any compassion for him. He didn’t tend to care much for things happy to call him ‘dinner’ at the best of times, and when they had that many legs there was no chance.

He knew well enough that, if any sort of situation arose, he’d be as good as useless, so instead of lingering on the scene unfolding before him, he turned towards the tents he could see through the trees. There were figures milling about, of course, and as they were so close he assumed they could probably see them. He pulled out a new scarf from one of his pockets (his old one must have gotten lost in the woods earlier) and waved it a little, signalling for assistance. If he was lucky, someone would see it and send some help. That way they could get Silence to a healer faster, and sort out the whole ‘Fredrick’ situation double-speed. If not, they were on their own.
Back to top Go down
Artemis
Artemis

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • SR Salamander
  • DDC Dingo
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Troll Fanatic
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 3:19 pm

Fredrick’s fist collided with Zhenya’s forehead. Luckily for both of them, however, she did make an attempt at dodging away and so the blow didn’t cause her any more than a little pain and embarrassment.
“How dare he!” she screeched, advancing on him with blazing eyes. “How dare he attack me after we fed him and took him in!”
“Zhenya, stop it!” For once, Rhynna put some authority into her voice, and Zhenya ground to a grudging halt. She wasn’t generally one to take orders, but she knew deep down that what she was doing was a bad idea- and Rhynna had saved her life countless times over, especially back when they had first met in the Amelle forest. Crossing her arms, the avian stood her ground and glared. “I could not agree with you more, Rhys. In fact, I’d say we should terminate him, but… the ringmaster would have our heads if we did.” It was lucky she added this last bit; at the idea of killing her new pet, Rhynna looked as ready to faint as Silence was.

“I’m sure he doesn’t want to hurt anyone,” she insisted meekly, but didn’t go any further. “Why don’t you give the knife back to Rhys, and… well…” She crouched in front of Fredrick, her face sympathetic. “I’m really sorry, but we can’t give you that knife,” she told him sincerely. “It belongs to Rhys. But when we get back to the camp, you can have one of your own, is that alright?”

“He better come nicely,” Zhenya grumbled, glancing at Rhys as he waved his scarf for help. “I’m not dragging him all that way. I guess the tamers can do that anyway, though.”
Back to top Go down
Jula
Jula

Things that I am :
  • "Nice Guy"
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Complete Newbie
  • Medium Poster
  • Short Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 10:10 pm

Fredrick was taken aback by being screeched at. He blinked in surprise. Why should SHE yell at HIM? She attacked him first! Feeling indignant and defensive (and maybe a little bit competitive), he raised himself higher up on his legs like he was about to attack her again, and let out a blood-curdling shriek at HER.

When Rhynna raised her voice at Zhenya, though, Fredrick stopped his screaming as well with half a jump, because dragons were still terrifying and he certainly didn't want to make the dragon mad. He flopped back down, and feeling like he had proved enough of a point, he skulked and crossed his arms. He glared at Zhenya for a moment, but Rhynna was vying for his attention, so he quickly gave it to her.

Rhynna said something that sounded not angry. Whatever it was, he felt slightly less angry that Zhenya had yelled at him, but he really just didn't get why they weren't letting him go back to the forest when it was obvious they didn't want him here, either. It really, really bothered him, in fact. The only one that didn't seem to really dislike him was the dragon, and that was probably because the dragon wasn't afraid of him. But they could all easily gang up on him.... man, he felt so vulnerable. He was a lot jumpier now.

But, fortunately, he did follow them all the way to the Beastmaster's tent. He kept snapping his head around, like he was expecting to get attacked from behind. He really did look like a scared cat - you know, how they look when they're all hissing and their back is raised... it was difficult to translate that specific characteristic into a half-human, half-spider, but it was still obvious enough anyhow that he was not comfortable and kind of wanted to leave as much as they wanted to kill him.

He blinked at the cages dubiously. There were creatures inside of them.... like.... like webs? Is that what they were? Did they catch creatures too? Or were they like homes? He moved over and touched one of the bars to see if it was sticky. It was not. It was cold. Now he was really confused.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 10:30 pm

“Thanks – I was wondering where that had gotten to.” Rhys said, taking his knife back. He tucked it quickly into a hidden pocket in the cuff of his sleeve, where he could easily get it back if he needed it, but was also difficult to spot.

He fell into pace behind Fredrick, where he could keep an eye on the odd spider-boy, and finally calmed a little. This close to the camp he felt safe again – the woods were blocked out by the comforting brightly coloured tents, and his anxiety was fading fast.

Once they reached the beastmaster’s tent, Rhys hovered outside. He didn't get on well with the animals, or the tamers especially. He was from a different part of the sow, and tended not to mix much. Instead he lurked just outside the tent, shuffling cards (a slight nervous twitch he had developed) and practising a couple of card tricks, just to make sure he still had the knack. He would go inside if someone asked, but he had his image to claw back: the moody and hopefully a little mysterious magician, rather than the man that the others had just had to rescue from a big scary spider-beast.

Back to top Go down
Eliza
Eliza

Things that I am :
  • Gold Hoarder
  • Medium Poster
  • Really Too Kind
  • Thrall of Zay
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 3:29 am

Obviously Silence was staying outside; she could barely stand much less be of any help. She sat close by Rhys and looked up at him, feeling much safer sitting than standing. "Hey, magpie, come sit down?" she asked quietly. She didn't much care for the man, but he was doing that nervous tick of his and that couldn't be good. "Seriously Rhys, come sit down and talk about it, it might just help." The circus was literally a family of misfits, outcasts, and generally abnormal people, trust was very important. Sure as a whole Rhys wasn't the type of person she'd normally hang about with, but after the kind of scare he'd just had, she felt rather bad for him.

Inside there seemed to be very little commotion from what she could hear, but then again she could hardly hear her own voice as she spoke, so her ears were still stuffed with wax so to speak. Her head finally stopped swimming long enough for her to realize where they were, and she had half a mind to wander back to her tent to pass out for the rest of the day. Now sleeping was all she could think of to do, but that wasn't a smart idea while out in the open, and with Rhys a nervous wreck that idea was even worse.
Back to top Go down
Artemis
Artemis

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • SR Salamander
  • DDC Dingo
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Troll Fanatic
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 6:06 pm

Fredrick's parting screech was nearly enough to rile Zhenya up again, but a calming wave of thought from Rhynna persuaded her otherwise. She simply maintained a sour mood all the way to the Beastmaster's tent, ignoring occasional attempts from her dragon to bring her round.

Rhynna, for her part, was concerned for Fredrick. He didn't exactly look at ease, and she hated to think of him confined in a tiny little cage. It was one thing for the other animals, but while the spiderboy clearly wasn't as bright as a human or dragon, he still had a lot more brain power than some of the creatures they tamed. She would definitely want to take a hand in his training- surely he'd respond better to gentle, kind words and persuasion than to harsher methods?

That, and food.

When they reach the Beastmaster's tent, Zhenya hung back outside, absently listening to Rhys and Silence as she leant on Rhynna's side. The dragon had poked her front end inside the tent in a half-crouch, watching Fredrick move about with an expression of concern.
"You won't have to stay there for long, if you're well behaved," she promised him. "You can have your own tent over here, maybe. Or near us. I'm sure you'll settle down well." He didn't look at all convinced of the cages, but then, why should he be? She was willing to bet he'd never seen anything of the sort before, so a little suspicion was natural. He probably wouldn't be able to understand what she was saying, but it might soothe him a bit. It helped her feel better to think of these solutions, at least- he didn't belong behind bars.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Circus is a Family   The Circus is a Family - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Circus is a Family
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next