Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

Female Loveliness : 68

The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 11:35 pm

“There’s more to being attracted to someone than looking presentable,” Del’ure cautioned. No need to mention that he didn’t much care for the insides if he got what he wanted. “But, yes, it is the first thing that will make you seem appealing to someone else.” Why did he even bother with the morality preaching? It wasn’t like he gave a damn himself.
“You might want to get your hands on actual clean water though when you really want to tidy yourself up. Nice clothes won’t make the stench of bad water go away, even if there’s not even a speck of dust or dirt on you anywhere.”

Del’ure settled himself back more comfortable again as well, now that the more interesting part of the discussion seemed to have died down a little. “It will be easy enough to find everything you need, whether by relieving a few rich people of things they don’t actually need or through more honest ways. Easily doable. We’ll see about that when we get to the next town. But you seem like you’d clean up nice enough. I mean, you’ve got the raw material, just need to get a little bit of meat onto your bones.”

Somehow, Del’ure liked the idea of fixing up this little gutter rat. Why exactly this was, he couldn’t quite pinpoint but did it even matter? It would give him something to do besides caring just for his own hide, which was an interesting enough change.

“Well... as for the plan. I’m not quite sure. Head to the next town, pamper ourselves a bit and then.. we’ll see, I guess. I rarely plan when I don’t have something specific I need to do but I prefer to just take life as it comes. Though, yes, planning might not be a bad idea, seeing that I can hardly try and get both of us into the same woman’s bed to get a roof over our heads. Hmm.”
Del’ure mulled this over for a little while, consider spending the money on an inn but then he would definitely have to compensate for the loss in the next town already somehow because otherwise the gold he still had left wouldn’t last the two of them for very much longer.
“A job might be in order though. We need to earn some cash. Got any bright ideas?”
Ideas were brewing within his mind already, no doubt about it, but he was interested in hearing what the youth might come up with. He had lived on the street after all and even if he had never been a dishonest one himself, he most certainly knew the ways of most thieves and tricksters. Maybe for some of them even without being aware of possessing that knowledge.
Back to top Go down
Jula
Jula

Things that I am :
  • "Nice Guy"
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Complete Newbie
  • Medium Poster
  • Short Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind

Female Loveliness : 0

The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 9:17 am

"Clean water would be nice, let me tell you. I know I'm a beggar, but even I have a sense of smell. I never wanted to smell bad. I really did try to clean myself and keep clean. It's why I never pissed in my own alleyway, that's for sure. I hear of things like 'springs' and 'streams' and things like that that other towns are set on. If we can find one of those, I'd be pleased as punch to clean up." He frowned, seemed to think of something, and tried to wipe his face with his hand, but it really didn't make it any cleaner. "I guess lying face down on the path for the better part of a day really didn't do me any good. All mixed in with my own leaky-face-juice and dirt." He scrunched his face up with disgust.

He grinned a bit. "I got the 'raw material'?" He asked. "What, does that mean I'm not a bad looker by regular standards, or just yours?" He laughed at that. "I won't believe it 'til people start willingly making eye-contact with me, but I think you're giving my face too much credit. I promise you it's no good. But good clothes will help anyhow."

"Hmmm... ideas." He crossed an ankle over one knee, and bobbed his foot a bit as he thought. "Plenty of ideas. None have ever panned out though. Let's see - I've tried everything from mucking stables to running errands for people to being a messenger... I tried running one of those guessing-game booths with pebbles and shells but nobody wanted to frequent it. I've cleaned shops, been a barber, tried a couple of juggling acts (but never got any donations, but again, might have just been a problem with the location). As far as dishonest jobs, I really couldn't tell ya in any other town but my own. I thought about stealing before, but only from stashes where I knew where they were. I don't know anything about any other towns. But, I can look for a job in the next town while you scope it out if you want, and give you the payment. I've applied to enough jobs to know what to do, and I promise I won't get too disheartened by rejection. I bet even if I have to stoop to begging here, I'll get more here than I did there. Doubt it'll come to that. I'd like to think I'm pretty persistant."
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 1:05 pm

Del’ure was more and more astounded by the things Jack told him. He couldn’t imagine a person who didn’t know about such a normal thing as a source or stream of water. There were probably many more things that Jack had never encountered and Del’ure was sure that it would mean many more surprises for him but it was a concept hard to grasp for him despite the fact that he understood the situation rather well. No opportunity to get out of your hole, meant no opportunity to go and see the outside world. It was logical of course, but still so very weird.

Laughing, Del’ure confirmed: “No, it really didn’t do you any good and to be quite frank, you look like shit. It will definitely be the first thing to do when we arrive. Get you out of those clothes and shrub you from top to bottom until you look shiny. Might want to throw away those clothes as well, I’m not sure we’re ever going to get everything out of those.”

Del’ure pulled his knees up a little as he rested his arms on them, contemplating Jack’s words. “The jobs you’ve done would be easy enough to get in any other town as well. I think the most persistent problem you had was the fact that you were in a city full of people rejecting you. Nobody would want to dare dirty their hands by hiring you out of fear of what might be done to them in case somebody found out. It’ll be different in another town.”
He then looked at Jack, making sure that his next words sunk in deep. “However, I refuse to work with anyone, who stoops as low as begging with the multitude of other things available to them. There’s plenty of possibility and of options other than begging. People will never hire you once they know you’ve begged.”

Leaning back against the tree, he brooded over this for a bit longer, before adding: “Small errands might be the best way to start you off with earning a bit of your own money. There is no need to give it all to me, you will need some for yourself as well if you ever want to know how to handle a small fortune. Otherwise the first opportunity you have with a bit of gold on your hands, you’ll piss it all away on stupidities until nothing is left. Now, get some rest.”
Considering the matter closed for the time being, Del’ure closed his eyes and refused to listen to anything more the boy would have to say here on after. He wanted and needed some rest, they both did, before they moved on. They still had a few hours before nightfall and with a bit of luck, they might be able to reach the place before every innkeeper would grow suspicious about taking them up that late in the day.
Back to top Go down
Jula
Jula

Things that I am :
  • "Nice Guy"
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Complete Newbie
  • Medium Poster
  • Short Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 4:42 pm

When Del'ure stated he didn't work with beggars, Jack nodded gravely, and gave him a salute. "Understood. Yeah, I wouldn't want to either, and I KNOW there are plenty of opportunities. If never have to be reminded of that feeling again, I'd be happier for it. But all right. I'll do everything I can to get some coin for us."

He supposed it made sense that he needed to learn how to handle a few coins, and he looked forward to it, but his concerns were the same; that he'd just spend it frivilously right away. It was partially why he wanted all the coins to go to Del'ure. He really didn't trust himself with them right now. He pondered a bit.

"Rest... now?" He looked back at Del'ure, and actually looked a bit concerned. He wasn't sure why, but he had this gut feeling that if he closed his eyes for too long, he'd wake up and either Del'ure would be gone, or the whole thing would have been a dream and he'd wake up back in the town that he just came out of (or back on the road with broken fingers). It wasn't that he didn't trust Del'ure, but he was just a desperate person and he really wanted Del'ure to stay.

"it's okay, I don't need rest. I've lived on little sleep. I'd rather wait 'til we get to the next town. Let me keep watch," he requested. "I'm pretty alert, it'd be a shame to have that wasted by sleeping through something profound. Besides, I have a lot to think about."
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 9:59 pm

“Yes, rest, now,” Del’ure murmured, not particularly in the mood anymore for questions. The ride had been straining already and Del’ure hadn’t actually slept the previous night so it was about high time that he could close his eyes for a few moments. He needed to have all his bearings and be in a good condition when they got into town because he needed to come up with a good excuse for Jack looking the way he did and for the time being his brain was blank. And he did not want Jack to tell the truth about it. It would cause too much unnecessary hassle.

“Just do whatever you want but be quiet, I need to catch up on a few hours.” And with that Del’ure had already dosed off. He was sure that the boy wouldn’t get any stupid ideas about stealing the horse and buggering off, besides, Del’ure would find him one way or another and make him pay for it. As for his own person, he would wake if something was threatening, thus he wasn’t worried.

It was only about three hours before Del’ure woke up again, stretching like a cat and ushering Jack back onto the horse again so they could move on. He didn’t ask about the thoughts the boy probably had been mulling over in his head, certain that they would be spilled soon enough anyways to pass the time on their way to the town.
“It will take us another few hours but shouldn’t be long until we reach it, and tonight we’ll be sleeping in a comfortable bed somewhere in an inn. After a nice warm meal to fill our bellies.” After a brief moment, he quickly added: “Though you shouldn’t eat anything too heavy. You won’t digest it. And please, refrain from wolfing it down. There is no need in alerting people to the fact that you haven’t properly eaten in a while.” He was way too early in telling the boy this but at least this way he wouldn’t forget to tell him when the time had come.
Back to top Go down
Jula
Jula

Things that I am :
  • "Nice Guy"
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Complete Newbie
  • Medium Poster
  • Short Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 4:46 am

Jack was alert - it did seem like had dozed off, maybe, but he took zero time to recuperate. He rolled to his feet and was on the horse with a very cooperative quickness. He nodded in agreement as plans were brought up. Of course, if he was supposed to act like he wasn't starving, he should also try his best to not look too excited at the mention of a real bed too. "It's fine," he assured. "I'll keep cool. Like I said, I'm patient. I've seen other people act civil, I think I can pull it off too." He straightened and ran a hand through his greasy hair, trying to look presentable. He wound up just looking greasy and smarmy. But at least he managed to keep his demeanor cool and collected.

"All right, so what exactly is going to go down?" Jack asked. "We get in there... I'll pick up a job... where should we meet? What'll you be doing? Should we pretend to be together or separate? Are we just going to be in there for honest work, or something else too? If somebody asks about me, should I come up with a story?" He grinned. "I got a couple if you need, since I've spent so much of my life thinking of ways to rewrite how I got to where I am. It might work if I were a little cleaner.... would it make me seem less repulsive if I said I was just getting over a vow of poverty?" he asked. "Like going on a spiritual journey for a year.... what about that? That just makes me seem like an all-around good person, right?"

"Before we get to town... What should I call you? I mean, I know your name, but ... What are we, exactly? Partners?" He beamed. "Can I call you Boss, or is that too much?"

Otherwise, though, Jack rode on for the hours and did much less asking questions that made him stand out as a poor person, and going on about the things he'd never done. From then on, he was experienced, well-to-do-but-otherwise-grubby Jack.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 3:37 pm

“You’re asking too many questions,” Del’ure grunted. It was the one thing that was starting to bug him about Jack. In a way of course it was also good that he asked questions. At least it was better to know that he wouldn’t run headlong into a stupid situation but would ask beforehand in order to avoid doing such a silly thing.

“You can call me boss. It will arouse the least suspicion about our odd appearance. But don’t ever say you’ve been on a spiritual journey. People will wave you off as a lunatic or a fanatic, giving you the hardest time. It would be ridiculously easy for them to send you to hell and tell you to pray for food if that’s what you want from them. Just to give you an example.”

Del’ure considered the other options Jack had proposed a while longer before he finally replied as an idea was beginning to form. “No, we will do it differently. Seeing that you’re going to call me boss, we can play with that notion to make up your story. You have taken an involuntary swim in a disgustingly muddy pond after defying an order. No need to be specific about anything but it’ll explain enough of your appearance so that they won’t ask silly questions. If they think you’re too thin, then they’ll blame it on me as well. And even better, you are the poor little sod stuck with a strict and malicious master such as me and they will more willingly give you what you’re asking for if you tell them that you’re going to be punished if you return with empty hands. Hmm, yes that might work. What do you think? Is that something you can easily work with?”

They had taken up this particular edge of the conversation again once they had gotten closer to the town, the outskirts of which could already be seen in the far distance. “Not long now.”

Back to top Go down
Jula
Jula

Things that I am :
  • "Nice Guy"
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Complete Newbie
  • Medium Poster
  • Short Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 4:40 pm

Jack almost giggled at the idea, but he held back. It made him giddy to think that they were going to be working together, and the idea that Del'ure could *ever* be construed as malicious was just silly. Jack Saluted. "You got it, boss, it all sounds well and good. I'll go ahead and play it up then."

He pondered a bit about how exactly TO play it up, but he decided that he should just keep doing what he was doing, save for the questions. He was meek enough as a person anyhow (or at least he had been), so a slouched posture came naturally to him. He kept his eyes fixed on the ground, and tightened his lips. It would do him no good to ask questions now, in or out of character. He shrugged his excitement off, and went to pretending to be a servant then.

He scanned the town once they had entered it, eager to do everything he could to get into the role. In this case, he was looking to stay a step ahead of the game instead of awaiting orders, to try to look like he was practiced at this and to give the impression that he did truly fear Del'ure. Once they entered, without asking permission or giving any indication that he had been about to, Jack dismounted with a scramble, and sprinted to the town's stables, situated by the inn, leaving Del'ure proudly atop his horse alone. If he was too weak from hunger to really sprint (which he was), he absolutely let it show with a buckle of his ankle every now and then.

"Beg - Beg pardon" he stammered to the stable-master. "My boss - he needs to stay in town a few days. I was hoping I might be able to secure a spot for his horse for those days. Please, sir, his ... his business is very important." He avoided eye-contact, staring at the ground, his hands locked together with nervousness. The Stable-master looked fairly concerned at Jack, then looked at Del'ure.

"Yeah... we have some room," he said, sounding a little dubious. "Go ahead and bring him in."

"Oh, thank you, thanks so much." Jack turned and sprinted back the same way he had come, greeting Del'ure with a bowed head. "Sir - Sir, I was able to secure some stables for you. I hope they're suitable for you, they're right next to the inn." Of course it was close enough for Del'ure to have seen where the stables were and and probably even see the conversation. "Or did you want me to look for different stables? I can look for better stables, if you aren't pleased," he said quickly. He took the horse's reins, to lead Del'ure there. He wasn't really sure how to direct a horse, but he'd seen people do this in the other town.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 10:11 am

Del’ure had to hand it to the boy. He knew exactly how to display his actual weaknesses to perfectly portray the role he had now assumed as Del’ure’s minion. It would definitely attract some attention and he hoped it would be the good kind, or at least the kind he could work with, and preferably take some advantage out of.

Del’ure overheard the conversation, only barely refraining from grinning. Instead, he smeared a pout onto his face as he glowered down at Jack as soon as he hurried back. “They will do. For now.” He left the threat hanging in the air idly, having spoken loud enough for the stable master to have overheard this.

The horse followed Jack out of its own volition. Having smelled the food and other horses, it was in a hurry to reach that place itself, making things all the easier on Del’ure and Jack. Del’ure remained on top until the very last moment when he would have had to duck to get underneath the top of the stables.
“Take care of the horse,” he ordered the stable master, flipping him a small coin. “The boy will only mess up the job if he does it himself.”
And with that, he strode towards the inn, impatiently waving towards Jack to follow him.

Already they had attracted a few curious towners who were looking at them as though they were the attraction of the century. Some were sneering, some were snickering but all in all, they had their attention, which was all Del’ure had really wanted. It meant their plan was working and they would easily be able to pull off this act, get Jack some proper clothes, a nice bath, some food and maybe even some pampering behind his boss’ back.

Once inside the inn, Del’ure strode towards the nearest table that seemed pleasing to him. He openly scrutinised the tables and picked the one that seemed to look best for his noble behind to be seated. In truth, he was merely checking who was present and picking the table that would give him the easiest exit in case things went awry.
“Good woman! A room for the night, if you please. A plate of your best food and a mug of your best ale, if you please. And quickly!”

Del’ure briefly looked at Jack, but ignored him for the most part. It would be interesting to see what the innkeeper and his wife, or he assumed the waitress was just that, would do with this situation, especially if they would give something to Jack as well. If not, well then he would have to try and make a show out of his “generosity” of feeding his servant boy.
Back to top Go down
Jula
Jula

Things that I am :
  • "Nice Guy"
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Complete Newbie
  • Medium Poster
  • Short Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 4:30 pm

Jack did nothing but scurry, nodding and humbly bowing in agreement to his Master's whims. He of course pulled out a chair for Del'ure as he seemed to find a table to suit him, and seemed to pace for a moment, debating on asking... looking almost afraid to as the question sat on his tongue.

"S-Sir... May.. May I please sit?" He squeeked. "I'm sorry that I found such sub-par stables... I .. I will of course find stables that are more worthy of your steed, I meant no insult, I thought they would be the best because of their closeness to the inn," he defended. "But I'll most assuredly seek better stables while I'm here, I promise I won't disappoint you again, I'm so sorry for being such a screw-up, I promise you I'll do better." He hung his head in such shame, and awaited his master's permission to sit.

The meal for Del'ure came Fairly quick, delivered by the inn's wife herself. As Del'ure requested, there was a plate of very delicious-looking meat, and a mug of ale. Along with that, there was delivered a bowl of cheap soup on the side. The woman gave a pointed look at Jack, who just looked away. The woman left, and Jack glanced at the soup longingly for just a moment, before hanging his head, subtly covering his stomach with his hand. He knew not to expect any food- or at least, played up to that. He didn't dare ask.

"... Is there anything you'd like me to do for you while you eat, Sir?" He asked with a more defeated tone.

Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 2:34 pm

Very satisfied with how their performance was developing, Del’ure stared down at Jack, not even attempting to hide the disdain written all over his face.
“Yes, you have failed me, again,” Del’ure said, his tone calm but cold. “You will therefore…” Before he could finish whatever it was he would have had to think up as punishment, the innkeeper’s wife already followed up on his command and brought over a steaming plate of food. It smelled delicious and he immediately tucked in with gusto before he realised that there was another plate in front of him that he hadn’t ordered.

Flicking an annoyed glance at the woman who had immediately retreated behind the counter to angrily whisper something into her husband’s ear, Del’ure played over the scenario in his head and figured he had overdone it enough now.
With a sigh, he waved at the chair at the opposite end of the table. “You may sit. Under the condition that you remain silent.”

Another moment passed in which Del’ure took a large gulp from his ale tankard and picked a few pieces off his plate before he gestured at the bowl of soup. “There is nothing else I require you to do for now. But as of tomorrow morning, you will not screw up anymore, are we clear??”
Del’ure gave Jack a pointed look before he added: “You may eat this.”

He only hoped that the boy wouldn’t eat himself sick with the bowl, it was rather large after all and Jack still hadn’t quite understood the concept of eating slowly, which of course for now would be perfect for his role, but what was the use in trying to sneak some food off the barmaid if he was going to throw it up again afterwards? Of course they could work with that for their story, but still, he didn’t really want to have to throw that kind of tantrum after the show he was already pulling off.
Back to top Go down
Jula
Jula

Things that I am :
  • "Nice Guy"
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Complete Newbie
  • Medium Poster
  • Short Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 4:32 pm

Jack nodded, and per instructions, said nothing and slid into the seat opposing Del'ure. He listened carefully as he was berated, and at the threat, he nodded hastily in clear understanding. No screw ups. Period. Everything had to be perfect.

As he was directed to eat, Jack did try is very hardest not to smile. Even so, the act seemed to be working, so he couldn't screw it up now. Calling it an 'act' though made him feel like he was scamming these nice people... but he DID need soup that they were offering. He decided to call it something else in his head to make himself not feel bad about it, but he wasn't sure what yet.

But the important part was the soup. He nodded graciously (not saying Thanks at his instructions to be silent) and pulled the soup over to himself. It really did smell so, so good.

In spite of all his desires, though, he managed to keep a cool head about the delicious-smelling soup. Instead of eating with Gusto, he picked things out of his soup one at a time with his spoon and ate the components individually. He wanted to eat faster, but as long as he focused on the little pieces, it forced him to slow down. And oh, how delicious it was. He could definitely eat slowly if not just to just enjoy the deliciousness of the soup. What a medley of flavors! He closed his eyes and savored each bite, letting the juices melt on his tongue slowly. It was perfect. The last time he at soup, he had just saved up enough copper from begging, it was the last time that circus had been in town, and it had been the first and last time he had tried it. That was three years ago. And yet here he was, getting soup because he had met Del'ure and they had come up with a smashing idea... if not for that, he wouldn't be eating soup right now, and he'd still be dying off to the side of the road...

Apparently the soup was making Jack emotional, because his eyes got a bit puffy and watery, and a tear managed to escape. Even Jack seemed surprised, since he had been lost in thought and diligently eating slowly. His first impulse was to apologize to Del'ure sincerely, because he didn't want to look like a wuss for literally crying into his soup (even though, in this case, they were pretty much tears of joy). He coughed to stop his half-started apology, wiped his eyes on his arm, shook his head, and chose not to focus on his last bowl of soup, and how delicious this bowl was. But he sped his eating to a normal pace, though, if nothing else, since he anticipated that he might be disallowed from eating more soup, even in-character, since he had the audacity to start crying, and he wanted a few more bites in.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 10:45 am

Del’ure scowled at Jack as he heard the sniffle and noticed the movement to wipe his eyes clean on his sleeve. He didn’t quite understand what that was all about but he hoped it wouldn’t be too much whatever it was Jack had come up with now.
Discreetly looking around the inn as he took another gulp of the ale, he realised that most of the people had calmed down somewhat after the boy had been allowed to eat. The innkeeper’s wive was all glowing, it seemed, when she realised that he was crying. Well, whatever it was, it really had done the trick. The boy would be loved and probably spoiled by all of them.
Good good! Though Del’ure would have to have words with him later on about this.

Lucky enough for them, there were no more coincidences and even the barmaid didn’t try to kill Del’ure with looks anymore after he had allowed Jack to eat the soup she had so generously brought over for him without being asked to. He did not thank her for it however, but she seemed to take the lack of insults or anger as a good sign.

“I will show you to your room now, if you please,” she offered hesitantly, obviously more than happy to have the pair out of her sight and out of the inn proper.
Del’ure merely nodded briefly as he handed her a few small coins for the food, motioning for her to show the way.

“We gave you the best room we have with a special cot for your servant where he may be at your back and call should you need him during the night.” Del’ure didn’t need to look at her face to hear the undertone of pity at the thought of leaving Jack to the whims of his nasty master.

Once she was gone, Del’ure burst into a huge grin as he turned towards Jack. “Who would’ve thought you were that good an actor. We did well and it all went according to plan. Now, first things first, get out of those clothes, wash them and yourself. We need to be presentable tomorrow. We will explain your cleaned up state somehow.”
Knitting his brows together in thought, he looked at Jack. “You haven’t eaten too quickly or too much, have you? You’re not feeling sick?”
Back to top Go down
Jula
Jula

Things that I am :
  • "Nice Guy"
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Complete Newbie
  • Medium Poster
  • Short Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 4:31 pm

Jack burst into a grin right back at Del'ure, and looked around at the beds. "Beds...." He squeeked. He laughed at Del'ure's comment. about his acting. "I'm not much of an actor... all I had to do was think of the people in that town, and I was right back there, and then that came naturally to me." He grimaced a bit. "Sorry about the tears... You have NO IDEA how delicious that soup was. Oh man, good sir, it was moving."

He pondered as he thought about his stomach, and then shook his head. "Not sick" he confirmed with half a smile. "It's a little heavy, though...." But his expression spread into a grin again. "I don't know, like I"m full or something. This must be what feeling full feels like."

When it was mentioned he would be cleaning up, he was pretty enthusiastic about it - until he realized he'd have to get out of his clothes. Right in front of Del'ure. Changing in front of anybody would have made him uncomfortable. That one time when his clothes were stolen back in the day, he'd been mocked and humiliated by the entire town, and it was just bad times. And he wanted to use the bath-water for himself, first, before he muddied the water up with his clothes.

While this was going on in his head, he was just standing there, kind of staring at the lukewarm bath with a tipped head. Maybe for about twenty seconds before he decided that he wasn't going to get clean WITHOUT the water, and he was most likely not going to be mocked by Del'ure - Del'ure already knew his situation, after all. Well, oh well.

He went around to the other side of the bathing barrel and crouched down with shyness, stripped the best he could without showing off anything, then did a little awkward half-somersault into the bath, to do his best not to reveal anything. No question about why, though, he was repulsively skinny. His ribs and spine stuck out of his body grossly. He resembled more a skeleton than a person. He sank down into the tub so just his neck and knobby knees were sticking out of it. He grabbed the cheap soap and pulled it in after him, and started vigorously scrubbing himself down. He was uncharacteristically quiet throughout this whole process.

Then, to try to change the subject off of the fact that he was bathing and being very awkward about it, he started talking about tomorrow. "All right" he said. ""I need to set a goal to know how much to charge. Ten copper? More? Less? I only know what buys food... I don't have a particularly good concept of what work is worth, or competitive prices, even though I know they exist."
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 10:46 pm

“Yes, that is what being full feels like,” Del’ure confirmed, rubbing his own stomach a little after the rather large plate. “It’s been a little much but I can’t say I minded. Soon enough you’ll be able to enjoy the juicy bits too. Though I believe that the soup was good, it looked very nice!”

Now that he came to think about it, he felt a little bad about having had such a wonderful plate of food while Jack had to contend with merely a bowl of soup, but of course to the boy that had already been a blessing. Still... “No need to apologise for the tears.” He murmured the words and wasn’t sure if Jack had heard them but he didn’t want to go any further into this anyways.

Realising the boy felt a little awkward, Del’ure turned away once the young one decided to actually strip down and get cleaned up. He couldn’t help but look though, wondering how scarred Jack was, figuring that the years of crappy lifestyle hadn’t done him any good, seeing that he was already emotionally damaged.

The degree of visible bones shocked Del’ure. He had seen many skinny people in his time, heck some of the women he had shared a blanket with hadn’t always been the curviest, but in comparison to Jack, they had all been fat.

Happy about the topic change before his thoughts deviated off into dark corners he didn’t want to go, Del’ure decided to quite simply just stretch out on the bed. It would give Jack the privacy he wanted and needed, but it would still give them plenty opportunity to properly talk.
“Yes, tomorrow. As far as remuneration is concerned, it really depends on what you might be getting, but I’d start off with a few copper, yes. Ten-ish sounds good. You won’t be able to do much anyways since you don’t have the physical strength yet to perform certain kinds of jobs but we’ll find you something. The messenger idea should be good. Or delivery boy of some sort. But before we get to that part, we will spend tomorrow morning on the market. Listening in to conversations will give the best ideas generally of where we could sneak our way in, one way or another.”

Whereas he would get Jack to find a suitable job for himself to earn some money, he would seek out those that wouldn’t mind being relieved of a few coins or other precious items. The gem he had in his pocket would remain safely there until it was needed for a more desperate situation. They had enough coins to last them for another couple of days without having to worry about anything. Which was good too, it would keep up Del’ure’s pretence that he was a fairly well established evil bastard with a servant too good for him.

“Something lightweight.. to start you off and to get you used to the trade.”
Back to top Go down
Jula
Jula

Things that I am :
  • "Nice Guy"
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Complete Newbie
  • Medium Poster
  • Short Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 4:50 am

Jack dunked his head underwater, getting his hair all wet, coming up, and started to soap up his hair, too. Probably wasn't the best thing to do, but his hair was so greasy that there was zero chance it would emerge worse off than it was before. Once the conversation started going again, Jack felt a little less awkward. Del'ure wasn't gaping at him or laughing at him in any case, and that was the important part. He smiled a bit. "I like the inn-keeper's wife," he decided. "She's pretty nice. Maybe - Oh - I bet if you make these demands downstairs tomorrow, I'll bet she'll hire me for ten copper a day to do menial chores." He tipped his head, again getting the "maybe this isn't the right thing to do" feeling, but he dismissed it when he remembered that he WAS a hard worker, even for his lack of strength. "It's not like we'll be cheating her if I do a good job," Jack mused aloud. "I'll be hired, and I'll work for my wages. Ten copper a day isn't bad, right? I can clean well enough I think, I've done it before."

He was done washing himself pretty soon, but he decided it would still be a little weird getting out and washing his clothes while he sat, naked, dripping wet, so he just pulled his clothes in with him, and started scrubbing them up with the soap, too. He was just about done and started to get out, when he seemed to realize something. He swore and started to laugh.

"My clothes need to dry," he realized. "I can't sleep with them wet. Well, I mean, I can, but it'd probably be bad for both me and my clothes. Well!" he snickered to himself. "Brilliant, Jack."

Well, whatever. He had already been awkward enough, and he wasn't going to spend any more time making Del'ure uncomfortable because of his own discomfort. He climbed out of the bath with his back facing Del'ure and used the dry washcloth to dry as much as himself as he could, and shook the water out of his hair. Still very bony - standing emphasized it. No physical scars, though, but there were a couple of good bruises here and there. He took the time to hang his clothes on the corners of furniture so they could drip dry. With that all done, he practically leaped into the cot and spare blanket, and cocooned himself up into it in a hurry, with the happiest smile ever.

"They gave me a bed!" He looked very excited at this fact.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 7:28 pm

“No, sleeping in wet clothes isn’t a good idea, let me tell you that,” Del’ure grinned, stretching out on his sheets comfortably with his hands behind his head. It really wasn’t a bad room they had been given, Del’ure couldn’t complain. And neither could Jack apparently, the boy was happily wrapping himself in blankets.

“Yes, get used to the bed. From now on that will be the norm, with infrequent visits to the forest and field floors when necessary on a longer trip.”
It was an odd feeling for him, to know that he had done something good by picking up Jack that morning. Even though he was not the biggest fan of working with someone else, sometimes having a sidekick wasn’t a bad idea and Jack was quickly shaping up to be exactly that.

“It wouldn’t be cheating, no. And I think that would actually be a good idea, yes,” Del’ure said as he picked up on their previous conversation again. “It would give you the perfect opportunity to butter her up a little and earn yourself a bit of money while I scout out the town, which of course to them will mean that I am going out on official and important business I don’t want my screw-up servant ruining. Hmm, yes, that could work quite well actually.”

Sitting up on the bed again to get himself a little cleaned up as well, he stripped off his clothes, using the bowl technically to be used for a quick clean of the face in the mornings to wet a piece of cloth and scrub himself over with quick movements.
“It would also avoid me having to make more demands. You could just ask her if she could use a helping hand for a little bit of money in exchange because you want to save up to get away from me, or something along those lines. After the market, I’ll just be out for the rest of the day and won’t be back until night falls. That way you know when to look out for me and how much time you’ll have to get something set up for yourself.”

The washing done, Del’ure went back to bed as well, preferring to sleep in the nude so his clothes could hang out a little to maybe loosen up a few of the wrinkles and air a little at the same time.

“Enjoy your bed, Jack,” he muttered as he tried to find his perfect sleeping position. “Tomorrow should be an interesting day.”
Back to top Go down
Jula
Jula

Things that I am :
  • "Nice Guy"
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Complete Newbie
  • Medium Poster
  • Short Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 9:03 pm

Well, Jack had much more confidence that things wouldn't magically disappear tomorrow. His only regret was that he, too, was not wearing anything. If he had a spare set of clothes, he would have taken the extra time to jump on the bed. He'd wanted to do that all his life. That just would have been awkward naked, though. He vowed he would do it tomorrow when his clothes were all clean once again, and dry, and on him. But even so, he was IN a bed, and that was good enough for him. He smiled at the idea of getting used to it. A bed being commonplace... that was wonderful.

He glanced at Del'ure once or twice while he was bathing, mostly to pick up on ques on how to act in the future, since he'd never shared a room with anybody, and really had no idea how to act socially in the situation he had just been in. Upon seeind Del'ure just do his thing though without caring about whether Jack was watching or not, Jack relaxed and turned his back on Del'ure to give him some privacy. After that, he was out like a light.

Anyhow, he slept very well without any worries. He woke up very early out of habit, hopefully before Del'ure was up so he could sneak out and put his clothes on without having to do the awkward-naked-dance around another person. His tatters were still mildly damp after hanging up in the room for the night, but they'd most likely finish drying in an hour. Jack went ahead and put them on anyway. He even tried to groom himself a bit, slowly trying to take the knots of his gnarled hair by using his fingers as a comb. His hair needed a lot of work, though, probably with a proper brush, so he gave up and just straightened it the best he could. Maybe he'd just take some scissors to his mop-top and wait for it to all grow back out.

Meanwhile, he tried to work out the details of WHY he was here with Del'ure, in character. After some hemming and hawing, he decided he would look truly guiltless and like a victim if his "father" had had a gamblign problem, and he had accrued so much debt AND decided to try to gamble his first-born - that would give Jack a good enough reason to be pretty much a servant AND try to get money at the same time; both because he didn't have a choice of being owned AND to try to settle his father's gambling debt with Del'ure. He was proud of his imagination for the time being.

Whenever Del'ure got around to waking up, Jack gave him a chipper little wave. "Morning!" He greeting quietly.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 11:09 pm

The night passed quietly and nicely, but far too quickly in Del’ure’s opinion. He was used to having relatively short nights however, so it wasn’t much of a problem for him when Jack woke up early and begun busying himself around the room. Still, Del’ure wouldn’t have minded sleeping for an hour or two longer.
Chirpy mood in the morning was good for him though, he preferred that to a grumpy “morning” that was just a paraphrase for “fuck off and leave me in peace”.
“Morning!” he replied as he stretched underneath his blanket, even though it had shifted quite a bit during the night, exposing most of his upper body, including some of the minor scars that littered his front.

“Did you sleep well? Are you fit for the day?” Del’ure asked, staying in a horizontal position for a few minutes longer before he decided that there was nothing else to it and he’d better get his butt out of bed and ready for the day.
Jack was already fully clothed. “They look much better when they’re clean. Quite nice actually.” Definitely something they could work with at a later stage. Scenarios were starting to play out in Del’ure’s head but none of them were quite ready to be presented to someone else, least of all to a young boy such as Jack, who had a lot more to learn before any of this could be played out the right way.

“Ready for some breakfast? And the market? I’ll get some breakfast here quickly while I tell you to go feed the horse and then we’ll get you a nice piece of fresh bread on the way there or at the market itself. What do you say?”
In a way, Del’ure was beginning to feel awful for being allowed to eat normally all the time and having to deprive Jack of proper food, but then again, the boy did have to get used to solid food again and a fully fledged breakfast really wasn’t anything he would be able to stomach anyways, and Del’ure didn’t want him to be tempted.
Back to top Go down
Jula
Jula

Things that I am :
  • "Nice Guy"
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Complete Newbie
  • Medium Poster
  • Short Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 11:49 pm

Jack glanced at the scars and bit his lip as he thought about asking, but then he thought better of it. He decided a better time to ask would be when he knew Del'ure a bit better.

"Man, I slept SO well," He said, enthused. "I never felt so good in my life. Really full of energy... like I could dance!" He glanced at a wall and looked like he was thinking about something. "When the circus was in town, they did a lot of really cool performing things... I tried to teach myself some stuff, but I could never ... never quite do it. I never felt like I could, either. Maybe, though, maybe I can try it again soon and see how it works, because boy I feel like I could just to a flip. Do you ever feel that way?" He asked. Probably more of a rhetorical question, Jack was just in a rambly, good mood, and it showed. He was glowing much more than he should have been for a beat-up servant.

Jack snickered as his clothes were complimented. "Well, thank you," He said, and mockingly twirled to model his slightly-more-clean outfit. "I'm sure this'll be the new style for well-to-do ladies in no time." Of course he was oblivious to whatever intentions Del'ure might have been thinking of, but a big part of that was because he didn't think it was he himself who was receiving the compliment, but just his clothes. Jack didn't think much of his own physical appearance. It made sense, though. He just grew up in a mean environment. It's really no surprise that he should have a low self-esteem. If he were more keen to annoy Del'ure, he'd probably be telling Del'ure what a terrible person he was right now.

He brightened as Del'ure asked about food, and his first impluse was to agree to it, but when he really thought about it, or when he actually thought about eating, his stomach protested. He frowned and looked down. "Actually... I don't know. I know I should eat... and I know I'm hungry ... but I don't feel hungry. It still feels really heavy, like a weight. Maybe just a little bread, though, to try to train my body to get used to it again, but not ... not a full loaf or even a full roll. Just a bite or two. Otherwise yeah, that plan sounds solid," He agreed. At least he was on the same page as Del'ure when it came to weening himself back onto real food.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 11:00 pm

Del’ure just grinned and shook his head as Jack rambled about not really intending for his questions to be answered or his statements to be commented, but that was just fine with Del’ure as well. As much as he enjoyed mornings, he liked to take a few moments for quiet contemplation of what lay ahead. Of course that was only the case when he wasn’t being chased down by an angry or jealous husband or something along those lines.

At Jack’s mention of his stomach feeling heavy, Del’ure was quite strict however: “No, not even a bit or two. No food at all for you until some time around midday or so. Your stomach won’t be able to handle it, you’ve already eaten far more yesterday than you have in quite a while and it wouldn’t be good to make your stomach work overtime like it has never done before. Just as well then that you’ll be in the stables while I have a quick bite. The less you are tempted into eating, the better. And since you’ll be in character, it shouldn’t be too hard either.”

Their plan was quickly put into action as well and the whole thing was done quicker than Del’ure could have hoped for. The innkeeper and his wife didn’t like him much but they served him within the blink of an eye – probably just a means to an end so he would be out of their hair as soon as possible.

Shortly after, the new team was already heading towards the market, and Del’ure was making small comments about the people they were passing in the street, most of them disdainful or mocking to lighten the mood a little.
The market itself was already packed with people, selling, trading, producing – there were people everyone one looked.
“Now, keep your eyes open for anyone with a large purse, we’ll get more information on them. If you can catch a name, that would be even best. Otherwise... we’ll see how we shall proceed. And I also need to find a jeweller, I have a necklace to haggle over.” There was no need to explain where said necklace had come from as Del’ure was pretty sure that Jack quickly figured that it came from the same people the gem had come from, as it had resulted in him being beaten by mistake.
“It should fetch us a nice little price.”

Back to top Go down
Jula
Jula

Things that I am :
  • "Nice Guy"
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Complete Newbie
  • Medium Poster
  • Short Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 4:27 am

Jack peered around the market-place for about five seconds, before his eyes rested on an individual and pointed to a middle-aged man. "Him," he said. "He's the richest here. He's trying not to show it, though. It seems like there are two kinds of rich people... the kind who are comfortably within their means, and the kind who try to show it off so they spend almost every penny they have on flounce. This one is the former, though. He's dressed simply enough, but the quality of his clothes are very good," Jack observed. "His tunic is thick, clean, pressed, and richly colored, so he's either wealthy enough that he can have it re-dyed when he desires, or wealthy enough that it's brand new. He's not browsing - he's here for a single purpose, and he knows what it is. He's shrewd. And, he doesn't have a woman with him. That means that he doesn't let the woman be the decision maker about money, or he's simply smart enough to stay a bachelor. And, the people around him - a lot of people are greeting him, and he ignores most of them, save for an off-hand nod. He has their respect. I bet he'd even know a jeweler personally, or have a personal jeweler he could recommend. Rich folk have personal tailors and jewelers, you know. I mean, I'm pretty sure at least."

"But that guy," Jack nodded to a merchant who was leaning back casually behind a stand. He was selling fruits, but he was mostly being very social. "That man - I bet he buys and sells information. All the thieves are avoiding his stand, and he's not particularly trying to sell his wares, and he's not shooing loiterers away. Most merchants don't really want the talkers. He wants the gossip, though. Either that, or he has something slightly less legal and his shop is just a front for his real business. Those types tend to go hand and hand, though, I think. He probably also knows a jeweler, and he seems like the type who probably knows how to get deals, but wants a lot in return for them."

He looked up at Del'ure. "Do you want me to approach them, or you?"
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Del’ure couldn’t help but be impressed at Jack’s quick assessment of the market. While he usually took the back road via the women to get to their men, Jack was straightforward in pointing out the ones they should talk to if they wanted to get anything done in this town. Definitely, this boy was turning into a very good asset.

“Hmm, very good.” He praised Jack as he took another close look at the woman he had had his eye on. She was trying to catch the rich man’s attention, the one Jack had pointed out, and from time to time she did, but she was very good at hiding her intentions, especially considering the fact that she wasn’t on her own.

“Talk to the merchant first. He may be a crook but he knows how to deal. We’ll see about the man later. First, I want more of his habits, the kind of people he really does talk to and not just the ones he barely acknowledges. I want his woman. Preferably with her...” Remembering who he was with, Del’ure cut his sentence short and decided to avoid that kind of talk for the time being.

“I’ll be close by to listen into the conversation while I observe the rich man a little longer. Tell him that your master is looking for a special kind of jeweller. Tell him that your master is willing to pay for information. That sort of thing, he should take the bait quickly enough without you talking yourself into a noose. If he doesn’t take the bait, then play dumb, shrug it off and go away.” Jack knew the drill, Del’ure was almost certain of it. With the way he had been pointing out the interesting people at the market without barely as much as a closer look, he would not make a rookie’s mistake, which was quite comforting to know. Del’ure had only been chased the day before, he didn’t mind a break from it as it really wasn’t his favourite pass-time when he was in a town. Plus, as little general public attention as he himself could get, the better it was. That way he could always come back to this place at a later time.

“Just remember, anything suspicious and get out of there. If he doesn’t want to give you what you’re asking for, then take a hike. If the thieves are avoiding him, it surely means he knows his trade, and we don’t want him on our backs.” After all, Del’ure was a thief himself, but unlike most, he wasn’t stuck in his town and he liked playing with fire.
Back to top Go down
Jula
Jula

Things that I am :
  • "Nice Guy"
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Complete Newbie
  • Medium Poster
  • Short Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 10:43 pm

Hmm... Jack certainly knew people's behaviors and could point them out, but walking the walk and talking the talk was an entirely different skill-set, one that he wasn't sure he had. Even so, he was eager not to disappoint. "I'll be fair, though, If I am introduced to a jeweler, I won't be able to tell you if their goods are genuine. He probably will want to deal with you for that specifically anyway. But, he wants business as much as any guy, just not the business that he's advertising." Once he reassured himself with that (and that therefore it should be easy to make business with him), he gave a salute and meandered towards the seller unobtrusively.

Before long, he and the 'merchant' were chatting very casually, Jack sharing some information of his own, explaining that he was here with his master and that they were travelling between towns, and that they would likely never return here. When asked about Del'ure's professional living, Jack (not knowing what it was anyway and having not come up with a story for him), simply said that it would be best if the merchant discussed it with his master rather than with him. It might have seemed a bit fishy, but the Merchant didn't let on anything suspicious. Jack eventually brought up that his Master had purchased a gem for his lover, but his lover had spurned him before he could present the present, so he was looking to re-sell the gem, or else find a different lovely woman to give it to. After that, the conversation seemed to go particularly well as the merchant talked about various jewelers - nothing overt though, enough that if Jack wanted to be able to find them, he'd need to pay for their names and locations. And, Jack even started being so bold as to barter him down, seeing as certain jewelers probably paid the man to talk about their business, so ultimately, he'd probably only send him to the jeweler that paid him the most anyway, right? Either way, it was going very well, and Jack started to look through the crowd to beckon Del'ure over if he could get his attention.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 11:57 am

Del’ure had long lost track of the conversation Jack was having with the so-called merchant but he was pleased with the way the boy was handling the whole thing. He was by far better than he gave himself credit for.
He himself was still keeping his eye on the rich man and the woman respectively. They had made eye-contact a few times and always had it been him to look away, and always had she looked hurt in a way. There was history there, a lot of it, and Del’ure was planning on uncovering it and use it to his own advantage.
The man she was with on the other hand had no idea that she was eyeing up someone else. But neither did he really care about her. She could have stripped naked and wouldn’t even have noticed for all the attention he was giving her.
She would be easy bait, very easy indeed.

There weren’t many other interesting women in the market. Sure, there was a handful of pretty ones and an even bigger amount of ones that would most definitely be easily seduced, married or not, but none of them bore any signs of being potentially used in a game such as this one. None of them would bring Del’ure and Jack as much profit as this one could.

Remembering Jack at this thought, he turned towards the youth who seemed to have been scanning the crowd to catch his attention. Thus, he casually strolled over, looking at a few more stalls on his way there, at the same time listening in to the remainder of the conversation between the two. It was of course no coincidence that he was working his way not only closer to Jack but also closer towards the woman, whose companion was dragging her towards this particular merchant from the other direction.

“You have been most helpful in providing my servant with a little bit of information,” Del’ure jumped into their conversation. “Alas, I would be very obliged to you if you could give me just a tad more so that I could rid myself of this miserable piece of a memory I long to forget.”
Placing a heavy hand on Jack’s shoulder, he added: “You see, I wanted to present it to my lover but…” Acting as though he was choking up a little, Del’ure took a deep breath and happened to make eye contact with the woman. Heaving a sigh, he tried to continue: “But she scorned me for someone with a bigger purse who could offer her an even larger gem. Placing my heart at her feet wasn’t good enough for her. Instead, she walked all over my love as though it were utterly worthless.”

‘Perfect,’ Del’ure thought with a pang of satisfaction as he stole a glance out of the corner of his eye at the woman, now merely standing a few paces away from the stall and unable to take her eyes off of him. Jack had no idea just how well he had done with his fib.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)   The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The start of a beautiful ... well, something. (peerface x eldarface)
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next