Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

Female Loveliness : 68

Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 11:02 am

“He really isn’t bothered by anything, is he?” Zeke shook his head as he looked at Maurice, sleeping peacefully in Rhys’ arms, despite the recent sprint and despite Rhys’ trouble with keeping on his feet and catching his breath. The young man’s throat was aching from the running but he preferred to calm his body down a little more before he started drinking. He was used to running away from bears and the likes but the last couple of weeks had been rather quiet and he had quickly lost most of his endurance again.

“Maybe we should make a point of doing a few running exercises while on our trip,” Zeke suggested, though he was only being half-serious. “I’m so not used to this anymore, I really have been in cities for too long.” Thinking about this a little longer, he added: “Or at least, I haven’t gotten into any sort of trouble in a long time where I had to dash for safety, which is a good thing, I guess.”

“If that is a normal occurrence around these parts, then I don’t want to know what the more unusual ones are,” Zeke murmured as he was contemplating Rhys’ words, but the fact remained, it was weird. “Maybe we should stick to the woods for a bit? We’re off track now anyways and the forest gives us more possibility to hunt for food for the three of us. Plus, the cover seems a good idea at the moment.” Once more the shadow passed overhead but the roaring had stopped.

“Really wonder what this is…” The more Zeke thought about it, the more he wanted to find out and soon he was discarding his own suggestion to stick to the woods when he said: “How about we creep back to the edge of the trees and see if we can find out anything more? Maybe we could even get a glimpse at this thing. Wouldn’t that be awesome?” The old fascination was back into Zeke’s eyes when he looked at Rhys and he had completely forgotten – or so it seemed – that they had just tried to escape this thing a couple of minutes earlier. “Maybe it’s not as evil as we considered it to be, especially seeing that the deer doesn’t run away from it. Maybe… I don’t know… but let’s go have a look?” With yet another hopeful look at Rhys, the young man waited for the magician’s reply, not wanting to impose on him even though he really, really wanted to go investigate.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

Female Loveliness : 16

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 7:04 pm

“Nope, he’s sleeping like a log. It’s probably for the best though – that run was hard enough without him squirming.” Rhys said, starting to catch his breath now. Zeke’s suggestion of running more made him give a little snort of exasperated laughter, but he didn’t say anything against it. It would probably work wonders for his health, and if this journey was going to be any sort of length, he would need a good deal more stamina that he had.

“It doesn’t seem like there’s another path anyway, so woods it is. I think Maurice will probably learn to hunt for himself soon enough – cats in the city learn to catch mice quickly enough, right?” he said, his comment about Maurice’s eating habits being more out of hope than genuine conviction. However, he did hope that the unicorn would be able to look after himself – Rhys had no desire to act as his mother for too long, since it did dent his pride quite considerably to have to cradle something so innocent-looking for too long.

As Zeke started to change his mind about whether or not to investigate the shadowy thing outside, Rhys just listened with a slight look of amusement on his face. He was getting the impression that travelling with Zeke would mean lots of diversions like this, but he didn’t mind. The city had been so… safe. It seemed like Rhys had been letting his fear of travelling suck all of the richness out of his life. This little kick of mystery was just the shock he had needed to set himself straight again.

“Sure, why not? This adventure is already full of crazy, so why not add in a bit more?” he laughed light-heartedly. He was ready to agree to almost anything then, simply because he was so far out of his comfort zone that another risk seemed insignificant. And there was also the fact that the last hour or so had been so unbelievable that he was starting to doubt the reality of it anyway.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 12:01 pm

“I hope he will learn!” Zeke retorted. “Otherwise we will have far more hunting to do than we’d ever considered. Especially if he keeps wanting to devour things like he seems intent on doing, if that small piece of salted pork was any hint.” Zeke mulled this over for a bit, the practice might be good for them but in general, he preferred to spend the journey with more than just hunting. He wasn’t all too good at sticking to the same task for very longer either usually, unless it really captured his attention. “Let’s just hope he’ll be a natural,” he added, a little uneasily.

At Rhys’ mention of the adventure already being full of crazy, Zeke happily replied with huge, bright eyes: “It is, isn’t it? It’s wonderful!” He had no doubts whatsoever that anyone would enjoy this sort of travelling with discovering new things, going on explorations, finding interesting companions and other things. It was amazing in his opinion and he had a hard time understanding any opposite opinion on this, at least at that moment as his sense for adventure was on high alert and not very likely to calm down any time soon.

It was a good thing for him that the magician seemed rather understanding, and quite indulgent as well. Without further ado, Zeke began stomping back towards the border of the forest in hopes of the shadow turning up again. Not all too far away from them, he could see the deer settling back into their little feeding spot after calming down again. He still thought it was odd that they had feared them and not whatever it was they had been running away from.

“I wonder…,” Zeke began, actually meaning to ask if the shadow was soon going to turn up again, when he was interrupted by another loud roar, just like the ones before. Shortly after, the shadow appeared again, its huge winged form throwing an exact replica of itself onto the ground. “Wow,” he breezed wide-eyed, “would you look at that!” It looked like a mix between a dragon and a gryphon, unbelievably huge but also wonderfully breathtaking.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 10:24 pm

Rhys nodded along with Zeke’s excitement, envying it a little. He felt like he didn’t have that sort of energy in him anymore, but if there was anyone in the world that could teach him, it was Zeke. He watched as the young man rushed towards the edge of the forest and shook his head, smiling. “I must be dreaming – this is just too weird.” He muttered, before throwing caution to the wind and following. “Wait for me, Zeke! I don’t want to miss anything!”

As he neared the edge of the tree canopy, he saw the colossal shadow fall over the ground outside, and increased his pace a little (which had been slow to allow him to carry Maurice properly without tripping) to catch sight of the thing before it moved on again. However, as he peered out into the sky, he found his breath stolen away. The creature was silhouetted against the brilliant sky so he couldn’t see any sort of detail, but what he could see was awe-inspiring. The membranes of its wings were slightly translucent, and its spider-webbing veins made it look like it was made of stained glass. However, around them were the shadows of what looked like feathers, and a set of absolutely terrifyingly powerful muscles.

“It’s… astonishing.” He said shortly, lost for words. He was almost certain that his eye was playing tricks on him – maybe he was just seeing a leaf, which had been blotted out by the sun. Anything made more sense than what he was actually seeing.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 10:45 am

"Don't worry, I'm not going to do anything without you," Zeke called back in reply, happy that Rhys was just as excited about this as he was. They had made a good choice of going out on adventure together and the young man was sure that this really only was the beginning. After all, they did have a baby unicorn on their heels now, or well, rather in Rhys' arms for the time being.

Barely breathing as he watched the creature above, he felt just as overwhelmed as his companion. Lost for words, he tried to express his feeling but could only utter a few stunned sounds rather than any words that really made sense. The creature looked so terrifying and amazing at the same time, it was hard to decide between the two powerful emotions. "Wow...," Zeke merely breathed as he took in the details. The feathery adornments along its body, coupled with the glass-like wings and the sharp beak in its face - which reminded the man a lot of a beautiful hawk he had tried to tame not too long ago - made him stare in bewilderment at this creature. The roar had been frightening but looking upon this creature almost made him forget this.

"I.. What.. How.. I don't know," Zeke finally said. "Is this creature dangerous, do you think?" He couldn't quite figure it out. It looked like it could devour a human in one piece and its voice definitely seemed to suggest as much as well; however, the fact that the deer didn't run away from it and so far it had not attacked the animals either lead to believe that the creature would not do such a thing. Without thinking about it, Zeke took a few more steps forwards, away from the trees and into the field of vision of the creature. It was an instinctive move to get a better look about which he did not even think, yet the animal above them immediately ripped its head towards the puny little creature in its territory and gave another roar as it made to fly towards this unknown disturbance in its realm.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 7:36 pm

“Yes, it probably is, but from here is just looks – wait, Zeke, where are you going?” Rhys snapped out of his daydream as Zeke wandered out into the open. Just because the deer weren’t frightened by it didn’t mean that whatever it was wouldn’t take a snap at Zeke.

“Come back here! Get back under cover!” Rhys shouted, the roar of the creature sounding loudly above them and almost smothering his words. The glassy wings looked less beautiful now that they were tearing down towards them, and in a panic, Rhys placed Maurice on the ground and grabbed at Zeke’s shirt sleeve, trying to pull him back under the cover of the trees.

Maurice didn’t seem happy about being put on the ground, and woke up immediately with a loud, unhappy squawk. However, he seemed to notice almost immediately that Zeke, and therefore Rhys, was in danger, and ran towards them as quickly as his tiny legs would let him. He emerged into the open with his little teeth bared, and gave a piercing shout at the big creature. The sound was far bigger than the little baby unicorn, and it echoed through the air just as much as the big creature’s roar had. Rhys gasped, and almost went towards Maurice in an attempt to get him out of danger, but found himself unable to do anything but watch in shock, no longer trying to move Zeke either. Next time he wouldn’t let himself be talked into anything as easily – maybe that would stop anything like this happening again.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 8:50 am

Unable to tear his eyes away from the beast, Zeke at first did not even notice that the creature was coming straight for him, and thus not hearing Rhys shout at him either, until all of a sudden the magician’s screams ripped through the hazy bubble around Zeke’s mind and he noticed with a shock that the creature might be beautiful but that it’s teeth were definitely very, very frightening looking indeed. And they were coming closer!

“Woah, woah!” he yelled, when he realised that Rhys was grabbing him, trying to turn back in the direction his friend was pulling him. The roar of the beast and the majestic flapping of its large wings were rushing in his ears, making him feel like he was going deaf any second. The adrenaline was pumping in his veins and he was frantically trying to keep his balance when his foot suddenly tumbled into a small hole a forest animal had dug at some point for one reason or another and wanted to give away.

In all that hassle, Zeke had not even noticed Maurice appear close by but he abruptly was frozen to the spot when the young unicorn’s bugle sounded through the air. The only reason the young man did not clamp his hands over his ears to protect himself from the sound was the fact that he was so completely astounded by this that he didn’t move at all.

“Maurice?” Zeke whispered in surprise, looking at the angry unicorn, its teeth bared as it wanted to warn the much, much larger creature to back off. When it finally hit home why exactly this was all happening, Zeke heard the sound of the attacking beast again and at the same time felt the gush of wind of the wings, screaming for Rhys to get down, as he himself flattened himself onto the floor. The dragony-griffony creature had broken its flight path at the sound of Maurice and swooshed by, merely a hands breadth above them, but at least it didn’t attack. Not yet that was. It was turning midair as soon as its massive weight would let it and came at them again.

“Run!” Trying to give Maurice a shove into the direction of the forest, Zeke quickly gave up on the effort when the unicorn snapped at his teeth. With a helpless look at Rhys, he wondered how on earth they were going to get the unicorn out of the way now. “Maurice, don’t be silly!” he shouted at the unicorn. “You’re going to get yourself killed if you’re staying out here!” Zeke was tempted to just leave him and run for cover himself but he couldn’t bring it over his heart to leave the creature like that, even if the little beastie didn’t really like him all that much.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 10:12 pm

“Get under cover, I’ll get Maurice!” Rhys shouted over the roaring of the huge creature’s wings. He could tell that Zeke didn’t want to leave him any more than Rhys did, even if the odd little unicorn had taken somewhat of a dislike to him. He was glad, but it seemed better to only risk one of them in trying to get Maurice back to safety. He covered his face with one hand as the creature rounded on them, managing to turn its huge bulk around, and discreetly held up his thumb. Jeez, this thing was huge, but if his usual distance-measuring method was working, they still had a little time. He looked towards Maurice, but just as he was about to run to the little unicorn, he let out another bugle, and reared up like a tiny stallion. The creature howled, and Maurice sprang up at it, nipping its dark nose. Rhys watched, wide eyed, but when the creature howled in discomfort, he decided it wasn’t worth waiting to see the end. Holding his thumb at arms length, he dived towards Maurice and scooped him up in his arms, sweeping the unicorn into the roll, before leaping to his feet to bolt towards the forest. The creature was hot on his heels, but he made it to cover just as the huge snapping jaws started to nip at his ankles. He slumped against a tree, panting as the creature snorted outside – just a few feet away, but unable to reach him. He was definitely not letting Maurice out of his sight again any time soon.

He looked at the unicorn in his arms again, still panting from the adrenaline rush. Maurice looked blankly back, and chirped. His eyes were a milky sort of shade, with just a tinge of blue, but Rhys presumed that the milky, half-blind look would wear off as he got a little older. Finally, he turned his attention to Zeke, not looking up, but instead shouting, “You alright, Zeke? Not been eaten or anything?” in his vague direction. He could still feel the movement of the trees as the creature moved around, seemingly angry that it hadn’t managed to catch the two trespassers on its land, and his heart was pounding in a strange mixture of thrill and terror. However, it didn’t seem like the attack had been out of viciousness – as the creature cooled off a little more, it seemed to be calming down into a much more placid sort of mood. Could that day get any weirder? Rhys wasn’t sure where to place his bets anymore on that matter.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 10:19 am

Zeke was glad that Rhys offered to get Maurice because he wasn’t sure how he would ever get the little creature to follow him but even if he had made a few steps towards the forest, he could not leave his friend in the grasp of danger like that. He would forever feel like a coward if something were to happen to Ryhs while he was running for cover. He might have almost unprecedented skill in getting himself – and others – into uncomfortable and even dangerous situations but he was not one to leave a friend behind.

The scenario between Maurice and the creature was intriguing to say the least and Zeke was beginning to wonder if the unicorn didn’t like him all that much because they seemed rather similar in this respect: taking it up with things or beings much larger than them, against which they simply cannot win.
Nevertheless, the trick seemed to work and they got the breathing space they needed to finally make a wild dash back to the forest and hopefully out of harm’s way, or at least out of the immediate reach of those gigantic teeth.

“Yeah, I’m alright. What about you?” Zeke replied, still swaying between amazing, out of breath and frightened, as he slumped down on the floor, not too far away from Rhys, curiously eyeing Maurice. “Bizarre little creature, isn’t he?” The young man looked between the magician and the unicorn, trying to ignore the raging beast outside of the forest as best he could before it suddenly left off and seemed to resume its previous occupation, what ever that had really been.

“That was somewhat of a close call,” Zeke murmured, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to get us into trouble.” His apology was honest, even if he could never be sure if it really would never happen again, thus he didn’t say anything along those lines either. “If it weren’t for Maurice, I wonder how this would have ended,” Zeke began but decided not to continue down that line of thinking but instead asked: “How did this little new-born creature even get it into its head that it has to play the hero? Isn’t he a little young for that kind of thing?” Shaking his head, Zeke eyed the unicorn curiously. Something was definitely very different about this being, but time was probably the only one who could tell them anything more about Maurice.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 9:37 pm

“Yeah, I’m alright.” He said, giving a half smile as the creature pounded away. Maurice gurgled, and pawed at Rhys to be let down, as if to prove that he was fine too. Rhys let him go, and settled his back against the tree properly, with no intention of moving just yet. He watched Maurice carefully, leaping about looking pleased with himself, and nodded in agreement with Zeke’s statement. “He really is funny. Do you think the milky ness in his eyes will wear off soon? It’s a little unnerving – they look really cold.” He said with a shrug. It wasn’t worth worrying about, really – so what if the unicorn had weird eyes – it matched everything else, didn’t it? It was just something about the coldness in them – the glassiness even, which reminded him of how deathly cold his egg had been…

“Don’t worry about it – we’re alive, aren’t we? That’s what counts.” He grinned, the adrenaline left in his system coursing through his veins in excitement. It had never even entered his head to blame Zeke, so he had no intention of letting his new friend take the blame for it. However, even he had to admit that Maurice had sort of pulled them out – he had bitten danger right on the nose, just to save the two men that had happened to be near when he hatched, which seemed at least a little bit unusual. “We would have been fine, I’m sure, but we do owe him some thanks. It would have been one heck of a lot harder to get away without him doing… whatever that was.” He chuckled a little, watching the unicorn play in the long, grassy undergrowth, completely oblivious. He was certain that now, he’d seen everything – the world couldn’t possibly have anything more exciting that that to throw at him. For a moment, he felt strange – he almost missed the city, and it’s easy, monotonous routines, but equally he knew that it would never quite be enough for him again. Well, if that was how it was going to be, he was going to enjoy every moment of his precarious adventure with Zeke, whether he liked it or not.

“I cannot believe how calm he is – it’s as if nothing has happened.” He commented, indicating Maurice with a tilt of his head. Yes, something was odd about the unicorn, but he was already too deep in the mysteries of their journey to know what ‘usual’ really meant anymore.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 8:07 am

“Hmm, I hadn’t really thought about that,” Zeke admitted as Rhys mentioned Maurice’s eyes. “But now that you say it, they do look fairly odd. Maybe that’s just part of the oddity that seems to be his whole existence? It might go away soon.” The young man watched the unicorn prance around like a championed stallion and almost laughed but somehow, he didn’t feel like laughing. Maurice was weird and they kept finding new crazy things about him, and in all honesty, it was starting to get Zeke worried, though he did not quite know why. The beast didn’t like him and apparently it could be rather dangerous, if it already managed to piss off a huge creature like the dragon-y thing just now.

However, he didn’t want to go down such a line of thinking and quickly shook his head to rid himself of those thoughts. “Yeah, whatever that was,” Zeke agreed, repeating the magician’s words almost in a whisper, giving way to whirling thoughts once more. “It’s hard to believe that such a huge creature would back away in the face of a tiny being such as Maurice.” A loud bleak from the unicorn was the reply to his and Zeke threw his hands up in the air in defeat: “I’m just saying, you are very small in comparison to that thing out there.”

He shifted his position a little to sit slightly more comfortable in a patch of moss rather close to his behind before he picked on Rhys’ statement again. “Well, yes, but the thing out there seems to be equally calm again.” A distant roar could be heard every now and then but the space between them kept growing longer and longer until finally they stopped completely. “The deer are still standing there, huh.” Zeke was astonished to realise this as he let his eyes roam about their present location and saw the deer standing in their previous spot, quietly feeding and only taking a few steps here and there when they thought it was necessary.

“How can this place be so very very odd, despite its relative closeness to civilisation? Shouldn’t city life have rubbed off a little? Or the other way around?” Shaking his head in confusion once more, Zeke stretched and with another curious glance at the deer and the playing unicorn, he looked at Rhys. “Are you ready to move on?” Zeke himself was not quite ready and his muscles were protesting even before he moved a toe but he all of a sudden didn’t feel very comfortable in this place anymore. It was just too weird. Or was it not the place but rather something else?
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 11:06 pm

“I’m sure it’s nothing – maybe he’s just supposed to look like that?” he said, shrugging. He was in no mood to worry, and decided it was best to let it slide. Maurice was shaping up to be one weird companion, but it seemed better to have him on their side than wandering off on his own.

As Zeke pointed out Maurice’s impossible victory over the huge, dragon-griphon-thingywhatsit, he couldn’t help but smile. It was true – it had been strange, the way that both creatures had calmed own, and the way they had reacted to each other, but Maurice looked too innocent prancing about to be viewed with suspicion.

Zeke’s mention of the deer, however, brought his attention back to the area around them. “They haven’t moved. Not once since we arrived, except to flee from us.” Zeke’s suggestion to leave seemed like a welcome relief, and he nodded enthusiastically. “It’s too weird for me – those deer alone are freaking me out. Let’s just get going – maybe things with even out and get more normal a bit further down the road.” He said, standing up and whistling to Maurice. The deer twitched at the noise, and a few of them scattered off, but he was still convinced that leaving was the best thing to do. Either way, the cover of the forest looked safer after the incident with that creature, and there were a lot of trees up ahead.

“I was going to show you the egg trick, wasn’t I?” Rhys said, feeling one of the eggs in question roll about in his pocket. He was glad he’d bought them now – he loved that trick, but the charm of it wore off if the eggs went bad. All it took was three eggs and a silk handkerchief, so he’d try that one out later on.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 10:24 am

Zeke happily registered Rhys’ willingness to move on from this place and immediately scanned their surroundings for the easiest way to get through the forest, in hopes of maybe even finding a path. The road they had previously been followed was way too in the open and they both seemed to agree on that matter.

When Rhys whistled for Maurice and the sound rustled up a handful of the deer again, a light shudder went down his spine. “They are far to odd,” he muttered before effectively turning his back on the animals and heading into the direction they had initially taken when deciding upon which fork of the road to follow.

“Oh yes, yes, the egg trick!” Zeke’s eyes lit up with the promise of being shown the egg trick and he looked at the magician with a joyful glitter in his eyes as he once again was wondering about the specifics of this trick.

Maurice was tagging along beside Rhys, regularly getting distracted by sounds and scents but always keeping an eye on them and catching up quickly enough in his own time. The forest itself looked like any other forest; leaves, branches, small bushes and plants everywhere with a multitude of birds and animals scurrying about the place. Most of the latter remained unseen but the forest presented a normal busy atmosphere and this fact appeased Zeke’s worries a little bit. A bit further downwards, outside of the forest, they could still easily see the road which they had been travelling on and the young man was slowly regaining his sense for adventure, regularly glancing at the road to check they were still going in the same direction. It was easier to lose one’s way in a forest than out in the open but he was still not quite sure he wanted to leave the security of the trees. In addition, the woods were a nice place and he rather enjoyed walking through them.

“Where did you even learn all your tricks?” he asked, curiosity driving his question for the most part, alongside the wish to steer their conversation onto a lighter and less weird topic while they were moving along the forest.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 8:12 pm

Following the direction Zeke seemed to be heading in, Rhys quickly fell into step beside him. He was just as uncomfortable with the forest as he had been with the road, but now that he was out he was beyond caring, and preferred to focus on their ‘adventure’, which was turning out as more of a misadventure all things considered. He almost laughed at Zeke’s fascination with the trick, shaking his head. He loved seeing people enjoy the magic – he missed the days when he too was fascinated by it. Now he knew it was all trickery, which spoiled the illusions for him, but he still loved to perform. It gave him a purpose, which he was otherwise lost for.

At the question about where he had learnt his tricks, however, he was almost stumped. It took him a moment to remember, actually, since it had been so long ago, but eventually he found the edges of the memory. “Hmm, let’s see, I must have picked most of them up after I lost my eye – that was when I got into it anyway. Yes, I learnt the basics in a little town somewhere to the west, but since then I’ve picked up a few more from other performers.” He explained, but a dark expression crept into his eyes. Those had been dark days for him, while he was learning to perform. He could barely walk without crashing into things or pulling open the wounds across his middle, so he had been shut up inside, waiting for everything to heal over. And he had been bitter about his eye – he used to work as a message carrier, but apparently he couldn’t do that anymore with one eye, and a fear of roads.

The expression vanished from his face a split-second later, and his usual smile returned, his heart filled with adrenaline that stopped him dwelling on any darker thoughts. He didn’t want to appear to be the dark, miserable man he had been during his time in town, which meant no more dark looks when no one was looking.

A flicker of mischief crossed his face suddenly, as he felt the round shape in his trick-sleeve of one of the eggs. Well, here goes, he thought, hoping he still knew how to do it properly – it had been a while since he’d bought eggs for that particular trick. “What’s that behind your ear?” he said with a playful grin, nodding to Zeke. He figured he would appreciate the trick, and it seemed to be a good way to shrug off the weirdness of their adventure so far.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 9:50 am

Absorbed in examining their surroundings while listening to Rhys, Zeke completely missed the dark expression passing over the magician’s face, though he did hear the undertone of the words he was saying, but he decided not to dive into it. It seemed like not all those memories were good ones and Zeke was not one to prod around in someone’s private affairs, no matter how curious he was about other things. “I guess it is true that you learn by doing,” he simply stated, shooting Rhys a smile. “It’s like with most other things. When you learn to walk as a child, you learn by your mistakes. Whenever you fall down, you simply get back up again and do it all over.”

The young man was blabbering a little, and he knew it but he wanted to avoid having an awkward silence spread between them at all costs. They already were less at ease than they had been at the beginning of the journey, it was no use making it any worse. For the most part, Zeke was back to feeling like he always did but at the back of his mind, their most recent adventure was still nagging at him, but he forcefully kept pushing it away constantly.

He was just about to ask yet another question when Rhys suddenly asked him what that was behind his ear. Frowning, Zeke shifted his eyes and tried to see where Rhys’ hand was fiddling, to no avail of course since his eyes could not look behind his ears. With a huge smile, he suddenly realised that the magician was playing a trick with him and he got all excited. “What? What? What is it?” Since they had been talking about the egg trick, Zeke figured it would be an egg, but the excitement carried him away and he completely ignored this knowledge.

Sometimes he had wondered whether he should not try and learn such tricks as well but he also knew that it would lose its fascination to him if he did know how to properly perform them, thus he had never looked into it. He enjoyed watching them and having them performed on him very much however. Just like now. His face was lit-up like that of a happy child while he watched the magician grin at him and do his thing, excitedly waiting for the next thing to happen, because something was bound to come out from behind his ear now and Zeke couldn’t wait to see what it was.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 10:50 pm

Rhys grinned even wider at Zeke’s fascination with the trick, and flicked his wrist precisely to grab hold of the silk handkerchief hidden in his sleeve. Then, with an elaborate flick, he produced the scrap of yellow silk and pulled it away from Zeke’s ear, raising an eyebrow at it, as though it had been a surprise to find it there. Then, wordlessly, he tossed it upwards, letting the silk unfold and float down to his hand again, producing a plume-shape as the breeze filled the handkerchief. That was his attention-grabber, and his way of proving that there was nothing funny about the handkerchief. He had worked out long ago that the key to a successful act was to convince the audience over and over that there was no trick, and that the magic was real, so this was in many ways the most important part of the trick.

He then threw the handkerchief again, before catching it in mid-air, and bringing it back down with a bemused expression on his face. He opened the handkerchief, to reveal a white, papery-shelled egg lying in the golden-yellow silk, and grinned. “I didn’t know you kept magic handkerchiefs in your ears! Let’s see what else is inside here.” He suggested, holding the egg in one hand, before throwing both it and the handkerchief into the air. Putting the eggs inside the handkerchief was just a simple slight-of-hand trick, so it took him no time at all to produce a second egg to juggle in one hand. The eggs and handkerchief formed an arc over his head as he juggled, before he plucked a third egg out of the yellow silk to juggle properly with the eggs he had plucked out of ‘thin air’.

Throwing the eggs higher and higher, keeping his thumbs in clear sight so that he could catch them properly, he gave Zeke a mischievous grin. “See? Just fancy juggling really. Now, do you want to see them hatch?” The hatching was the only part that required any skill, and obviously he didn’t produce a live bird from them, just the image of one. However, it made a great finale, which was good enough for the everyday market-goers he usually performed for.

Without waiting for a reply, he caught the three eggs, and held them up, again proving that they were quite real. Then, he threw them all straight up, crunching the shells with his thumbs as he did so. There was a spot just near the top of the egg that made the yolk split into sections, and years of practice had taught him how to hit that every time, so as the eggs shattered, their golden centers blossomed outwards, crashing into each other. He flicked his wrist slightly, and the yolks spread out, forming the shape of a bird in flight for a second, which appeared to beat its wings once, before crumbling and falling to the ground at Rhys’ feet in a mess of broken eggshells. He smiled at the messy puddle, bowed elaborately, before his wide grin returned. “So, what did you think?” he asked, thrilled that he had actually pulled it off as he was supposed to. That was why he had gotten into magic, he realized, not just because of his bad eye, but because even now that he knew the tricks, the way things fell into place within the trick filled him with joy.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 9:24 am

Zeke watched with glee as Rhys pulled a handkerchief from behind his ear and soon after began juggling with a handful of eggs. He knew there was more trickery behind it than magic, but it was nevertheless a captivating thing to watch and the young man was absolutely amazed. Even if he had been watching more closely, he would not have noticed the magician’s movements to pull things out of his sleeves and as it was, Zeke merely saw what he was supposed to see and he loved every bit of it.

“So awesome,” he breathed as he watched. When Rhys suddenly addressed him, he raised his eyebrows in surprise: “You can make them hatch? Really? Oh, show me how please!” That was a part he had never yet seen in a trick. Egg-juggling yes, but without the handkerchiefs, but a hatching? It was completely new to him and he got even more excited at the prospect of this. His eyes did not leave the eggs and he was almost overwhelmed when he suddenly saw the image of a flying bird before the eggs crashed to the floor in front of him.

“Ha ha! Do you even have to ask?” Zeke grinned. “I loved it, absolutely loved it!” He might sound like he was exaggerating, but that was just his nature and he was being honest. He was also glad to see that Rhys was just as pleased by the way the trick had went as Zeke was, and the young man offered on a whim: “I think in the next town we hit, a pint of mead imposes itself to celebrate this and it will be on me.”

All the while, Maurice had been fidgeting around them, sniffing something here, inspecting something there and the unicorn had only barely glanced at the egg trick, but at the sound of the word mead, it bleaked loudly. Zeke looked at the unicorn with a confused expression on his face. “What is it, Maurice?” With an uncertain glance at Rhys, he asked: “He wants mead? Or was that just a general statement that he is thirsty and/or hungry?” The little one was puzzling, to say the least, but they had not given him anything to drink, if he remembered it correctly, they had barely drunk anything themselves, so maybe it might not be a bad idea to go hunt for a lake or a river soon.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 9:02 pm

“Well, I’m glad – that’s one of the trickier ones I know.” He smiled modestly, looking at the mess of broken egg at his feet. Maurice lapped a little of the golden yolk up, in a surprisingly cat-like manner, before turning his nose up at it. Rhys shook his head at him, before focusing on Zeke again.

“Well, I’ll never have it said that I passed up a free pint of mead – that sounds wonderful.” He laughed graciously at Zeke’s offer, before Maurice’s little squeak cut him off. He didn’t have much salted pork left, and it had been a different sound t the one the unicorn had made when he was last hungry, so he shrugged.

“Maybe he does want mead, but I doubt it. Maybe he saw something?” he said, turning his head in the direction Maurice was looking. He couldn’t see anything, but Maurice seemed to be looking at something. He was just about to speak, when the unicorn shook himself, and turned around to face Zeke, as if nothing has happened.

“What do you suppose that was all about?” Rhys asked with a chuckle, reaching down to stroke Maurice. The unicorn chirped and pushed his head into Rhys’ hand, but as he did, a little piece of rainbow coloured fluff came free, leaving the unicorn with a bald, raw-looking patch on one shoulder. Rhys leapt back, raising his hands out of the way.

“Erm, why did that happen?” he asked cautiously, looking at Maurice. The unicorn’s milky eyes looked up at him in confusion, but Rhys was quite shaken. The last thing he;d expected was for his fur to fall out.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 9:38 am

’What a weird creature indeed,’ Zeke thought as the unicorn acted as though nothing had happened after the two humans had tried to figure out what it was Maurice had seen. Now it was his turn to shake his head and turn his attention back to Rhys. “I’m not really sure,” he admitted. “He keeps surprising us with odd behaviour, doesn’t he? Makes you wonder what is going to come next.”

Of course, for that they did not have to wait long as suddenly a piece of fluff came loose, leaving both the men slightly stunned. “And how did that happen? Fur isn’t supposed to just come loose by mere touch, is it?” The bald patch looked like any other bald spot would do however, exposing the raw skin of the unicorn just like it would happen with a cat whose fur had been removed.

Zeke knelt in front of the unicorn – making sure to keep his genitalia and his face well out of reach – to inspect the bald patch to see if he could find any kind of indication why it had come off so easily. Maurice flattened his ears against his neck for a moment but once he realised that Zeke was not going to touch him, he straightened them up again, keeping his questioning eyes on Rhys.

“It doesn’t look like he’s about to lose any more hair, at least not just randomly with the brush of a bit of wind, but maybe we should be careful about touching him. Which in turn means we need to be careful not to get into trouble again so we can let him run instead of carrying him,” Zeke suggested. Personally, he could of course not give any real guaranty that he was not going to do anything thoughtless again to get them into trouble but he would try his best not to.

“Let’s just try to avoid bushes and stuff, well, anything really where his fur could get ripped off or entangled,” Zeke continued as he straightened up again and looked at Rhys. “Let’s just keep moving on for now and see how it goes? We might not be able to do a lot against it anyways, if he keeps losing it. Plus, maybe it’s all part of him growing up? He loses the baby fur and it gets replaced by new fur?” He was hoping the unicorn would not go completely bald but maybe he was just losing the fluff to gain the appearance of a more unicorn or horse-like fur. Would it then still be rainbow-coloured though?
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 9:11 pm

“Don’t look at me – it just sort of fell off! It’s like his skin is made of sponges!” Rhys exclaimed, still looking mildly horrified at Maurice’s bald patch. However, when the unicorn’s soft little confused look reached him, he melted again, his worry receding. Clearly Maurice wasn’t hurt, so they could only hope that it was normal – after all, they still barely knew what he was, let alone how he was supposed to act.

“I think he can probably walk now that we’re not in any immediate danger.” He said light-heartedly, fishing in his pocket for a tiny scrap of pork. He was trying to save what was left, just in case they needed it, but Maurice looked hungry. The unicorn practically inhaled the meat, and chirped happily by Rhys’ ankles. He shook his head, dumfounded by the odd little creature, before shifting his weight from foot to foot.

“Let’s just get moving before this day gets any weirder.” He suggested, nodding towards the faint, overgrown trail closest to them within the little forest. It looked clear enough – clearly the woodland wildlife used it often enough, and it seemed to be following roughly the right direction for them.

“It looks like we’ve only got a few more hours of daylight left anyway – by nightfall we should be far enough into the trees to set up camp safely.” He added, noticing that the trees got thicker the further on they went. Tree cover was always safer than the open, and he trusted it as much as he could trust anything this far away from a city.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:59 pm

“Can it get any weirder?” Zeke joked with a grin, but despite the fact he was laughing and they had already had their fair share of crazy for one day, he was not quite so sure it was not going to get worse. After all, they were in the presence of an unusual being, so out of the ordinary was probably the only way their day could continue.

Nodding in agreement, Zeke spotted the path Rhys had motioned to and began to follow it, hasty to be on their way again. New adventures were his thing and he was looking forward to more of them, but he would be glad if the day wouldn’t continue quite as it had gone so far. They could use a bit of a breather, and preferably a river or lake soon as well. His water skin was almost empty and he was sure Maurice might like a slurp as well. Though they might have to keep him from bathing in it, that might just rip all of his fur right off.

“True,” Zeke picked up their earlier conversation again. “We should easily find a nice spot to spend the night in this forest. With a bit of luck we’ll even find a small clearing or at least a patch of moss to make our sleep a little more comfortable. HA, a night underneath the stars for a change again. It will be wonderful, don’t you think?” The young man was his typical self again, enthusiastic, upbeat and looking forward to everything, and of course hoping that Rhys was just as optimistic about the fun they were going to have as he was.

As his eyes wondered around the trees surrounding them, he heaved a sigh. “It’s been a while since I’ve been in such a thick and leafy forest,” he murmured, lost in memories and almost forgetting he was not alone, even though he could hear the steady footstep of the human by his side and the less regular ones of the unicorn who kept getting distracted. “It reminds me of home somehow…”
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 9:00 pm

“I doubt it, but I wouldn’t want to risk it.” Rhys chuckled, starting to walk again, keeping pace with Rhys and letting Maurice tag along behind. The unicorn was easily distracted, but never let Rhys get too far away from him. Rhys wasn’t sure he was keen on being the acting mother for the unicorn, but apparently he didn’t have any choice in the matter anymore.

“Erm, yes, I’m sure it will be wonderful.” Rhys said hesitantly, still a little uncertain. Daylight outside was going fine for him, but the fact still remained that he was /terrified/ of the roads – especially at night. He had been seriously trying to put up with it, and to get excited by the adventure for Zeke’s sake, but honestly he could do without spending a night out here. Ah well, he’d agreed to it now, so he couldn’t go back, could he? He was so lost in his own thoughts that he barely heard Zeke’s muttered words, and simply walked alongside him, both men reminiscing about previous time spent under a similar roof of leaves.

A few hours later, Rhys noticed that they were walking in near darkness, and pointed it out to Zeke. “The sun is starting to set – we should really be setting up camp. The ground’s sort of soft here, and I think there might be a stream or something a little way away.” He said, presuming the faint gurgling sound he could hear must have been some sort of water source. Maurice was panting a little, so Rhys poured a little water into the palm of his hand for the unicorn, who lapped at it thankfully. This seemed as good a place to stop as any, so he settled himself down in front of Maurice while the unicorn finished his drink, and looked up at Zeke with a questioning look, unsure how to really prepare for the night outdoors after so long inside.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 8:07 am

For a long time, the three companions walked in near silence and nothing bar a few birds chirping and foxes squealing, there was nothing to interrupt it. It was a companionable silence nonetheless, they were just each hanging after their own thoughts and did not even realise time was passing so quickly until Rhys suddenly pointed it out to Zeke.
The young man looked around in surprise. “Time’s flying,” he murmured, and immediately added in a slightly louder tone: “Oh yes, that looks soft enough to spend a few hours on it.” His ears soon enough picked up the sound of the stream as well, which was definitely perfect. Spending the night without running water nearby was not all too good in Zeke’s opinion.

Grinning when he watched Rhys play the mother for the unicorn again, he gently patted him on the back. “If you give me your waterskin, I’ll go fill it up while Maurice is finishing his drink,” Zeke suggested. “After that, we should see if we can get a small fire going so we can roast whatever it is we can hunt. Maybe there are a few fish in the stream we can catch but sooner or later rabbits and the like will be lurking so we should easily find something suitable to eat. What would you prefer?”

Zeke had addressed the question at Rhys but was now frowning a little as he contemplated Maurice. “And what about you?” he added as he looked at the unicorn. “I guess fish is out of the question for you?” The unicorn barely glanced at him, undisturbed by the question but rather kept concentrating on lapping up water, still looking almost like a cat while he was doing so.

“Alright, water first anyway,” Zeke laughed. “I’ll let you two think about what you want for dinner. I’ll be right back.” And with that he snatched the waterskin from Rhys, filled up the magician’s palm a little for the unicorn – as usual, carefully staying out of reach of the beastie as much as possible – and went to hunt down the rivulet, which sure enough was very close by. There were indeed a few fish plonking around in it but they were so small, they would have to catch quite a few in order to not go hungry and that might not be worth the effort in the end.
Upon returning to their camp spot, he informed Rhys about this: “I hope you didn’t choose fish. The choice leaves to be desired.”
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 1:04 pm

Rhys nodded, agreeing that the time had indeed passed faster than he had realised. The little motion swept away his thoughts nicely, freeing him from the dark memories that had slowly been bringing his mood down while they had been walking. He smiled, clearly relieved not to be in silence any longer, and allowed the unicorn to finish his drink.

Rhys laughed at Zeke’s mention of Maurice’s apparently carnivorous nature, and thought. He generally preferred what he would call ‘real meat’ to fish, but Zeke has already dashed off to the river by the time he had made up his mind properly. He stayed with Maurice, using his free hand to sooth the sore, bald patch over his shoulder. Maurice didn’t seem bothered – clearly he wasn’t alarmed by the fact his skin was exposed, but it still bothered Rhys. And it felt… cold. Colder than skin should feel – deathly cold, even. He didn’t like that either.

As he waited, listening to the faint noise of Maurice lapping up the water, he remembered the icy feeling of Maurice’s egg, and dug in his pocket for the piece he had picked up. It felt cool, and almost glassy as he pulled it out, wrapped in the greasy, salty wrappings he had been using for the pork. Maurice left his drink immediately as he removed it, and sniffed the eggshell with interest. Clearly he recognised it, and he looked happy that it was near. Rhys wandered what was so special about it – after all, birds never cared about their discarded eggshells, so why should the odd little unicorn?

He picked it up to investigate, ignoring Maurice’s little whining hiss of complaint as he did so (the action of which caused him to spill the last of the water, but Maurice didn’t look interested anymore). The surface rippled with colour, like a pearl, or an opal, but that in itself wasn’t too unusual. He turned it over, puzzled, and looked at the inside. Maurice’s eyes opened wide, and he leapt at the smooth inside of the large piece of eggshell, hissing. Rhys dropped it in alarm, letting the unicorn snatch it away from him. So the inside was the important bit, but he wasn’t allowed to see it? That was interesting…

He was just about to start trying to prize it away from Maurice when Zeke returned. Rhys stood up, leaving Maurice to chew happily at the edges of the thick eggshell, and shrugged. “I’m not really a fan of fish, so whatever we can find will be fine.” He replied, glancing back at Maurice and his eggshell. He could see a dark mark on the interior of it, obscured by Maurice’s longish fur, but he didn’t try to get a better view – the unicorn seemed very protective of it. He shook his head in exasperation, and ignored the unicorn, focusing on Zeke.

“Should I start building up a fire? I still remember how to do those, I think, and I imagine I’ll be pretty useless at anything else to do with sorting out the camp.” He said with a smile. Fires were easy, but he had effectively blocked out all his other memories of camping outside, which meant he had fairly limited skills at his disposal.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 11:21 am

Zeke laughed happily as Rhys mentioned his dislike for fish, glad that they would not have to fish for ages to get a decent dinner. Fishing already was tedious work but having to catch a dozen at least to have a little something to eat was almost not even worth the time and effort.
Seeing Maurice nibble protectively on his eggshell, obviously giving Zeke the evil eye again as the young man dared to look at him, Zeke turned back to Rhys with an amused frown: “What’s with him?”

As Rhys switched topic however, Zeke nodded, not really too bothered by the unicorn’s behaviour. Maurice was weird either way and he was fairly certain that was not going to change any time soon no matter how much they were wondering about it and discussing his odd little quirks and perks. “Yes, please. I’ll try and get my hands on a rabbit or two, depending on how well fed they are. A fire without anything to roast in is not going to be of much use,” he joked. Of course, the night would turn a little colder than the day had been, so the flames would certainly provide a bit of heat, even though they would not freeze to death, the weather had been rather lovely.

“Firewood should be plenty around anyways,” Zeke added as he turned around once to take a look. Once he was sure that he had not just spoken complete nonsense, he added: “I’ll go on the hunt now, I should hopefully be back soon.”

Zeke didn’t have to go too far before he stumbled across a rabbit but of course he had not paid too much attention to the noise he was making so close to camp, thus the rabbit quickly escaped from view. Cursing under his breath, the young man decided to go very slowly and very carefully from now on, trying to make as little noise as possible and only breathe in very shallow breaths so as not to give away his presence. It wouldn’t be easy without traps but they didn’t really have time for traps. However, he made a mental note to remember making one after dinner so they hopefully had a catch for breakfast.

It took the young man a little longer than he had hoped, but he finally returned to the camp with a happy grin on his face, rabbit in one hand and a pheasant in the other. The pheasant had been a very lucky catch and the beast had almost escaped him again but Zeke had for once been quicker than the animal. “I think this should do the trick, don’t you?” Zeke announced happily as he presented the catch to Rhys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Non-Canon RolePlay :: Roleplaying Archives-
Jump to: