Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

Female Loveliness : 16

Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 10:20 pm

“I’d think you had the advantage when it came to sight, but I’ll have a look.” Rhys laughed, returning to his upbeat self as he turned to peer down the track. It took a moment to focus his eye on it, but eventually the little shiny blob came into focus.

“Well, it’s shiny and has lots of colours, but I figure you’ve already got that.” He laughed, taking a few bold steps forward to get a better look. He made no move to remove Zeke’s hand, and was now far to interested in this odd little thing on the path ahead to ask him to move.

“Nope, I’ve got nothing. I’ll bet it doesn’t begin with M though. It’s a bit of a mysterious thingamajig. Do you feel like getting a better look?” Rhys asked, grinning. This seemed like exactly the adventure they had been looking for, and a mysterious, multicoloured m…er, thing, seemed about as good as anything out here on the roads.

“You could let go of my arm too, Zeke. Just saying, but you’ve got quite a tight grip there.” He added, laughing. Now that his interest had been sparked he didn’t care about highwaymen or bandits – this was like a magic act that he couldn’t quite pull off, and therefore the ultimate thrill.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

Female Loveliness : 68

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 6:32 pm

Feeling slightly embarrassed, Zeke decided not to comment on the sight thing and with a light blush on his cheek kept focusing on whatever this weird object was he was he had spotted a little further down the road. Rhys came to the same conclusion he had upon seeing the .. whatever it was.. but neither of them could distinguish clearly what it was. Slightly odd, but that was about it.

"Do I feel like getting a closer look? You even had to ask?" Zeke grinned and immediately picked up his feet again to head along the path. "Oh sorry!" he hastily replied and removed his arm with a quick motion. "I didn't mean to kill off your bloodflow, I was just getting a little over-excited," he admitted with a sheepish shrug. "I sometimes tend to forget everything else in the face of an adventure or something I want to have a look at. It comes naturally." He kept blabbering for a bit to overplay the fact that he was still a little embarrassed, now having committed two stupidities in a brief amount of time, but alas, idiotic things happened once in a while and no matter how long he had been travelling, they still happened to him. Quite a lot actually. One would think he would know better in the meantime, having seen quite a few places and quite a variety of people. And most of all, one would think that by now he would have learned not to forget his surroundings in the face of something overly exciting and interesting. Heaving a sigh, Zeke shook his head and murmured to himself: "I will never change."

All the while they were moving forward, he was keeping his eyes on the thing which still appeared as nothing more than just a random colourful blob. "Maybe it does begin with "M"?" Zeke teased, enjoying this game they had started, even though he couldn't think of anything other than "map" beginning with that letter right about now, and the blop definitely did not look like a map of any kind. The closer they came, the more the blop took form, but it was still unlike anything Zeke had ever seen. Or... "Does this look like an egg to you? Or is that just me imagining things?" Cocking his head to the side, Zeke tried to view the thing from a different angle in case that might help to distinguish it but nothing really changed. However, a bull could have charged him now and he would not have noticed, so intense was his concentration on it.

"Almost there, come on," Zeke urged Rhys forward. "It hasn't moved ever since we spotted it, so I'm thinking this will not be dangerous to us. But what on earth is this... thing.. egg? .. doing in the middle of the road?"
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 10:57 pm

“Don’t worry about it – I’ve done similar before.” Rhys laughed, following Zeke down the road. The shape didn’t seem to resolve itself really, even as they got really close. It still looked like an oval of colourful, shiny stuff.

“An egg? That actually sounds reasonable. But I have no idea what it might be doing here – you’d think its mother would be more careful about where she left her young.” He commented as they took their last few steps towards it. He was deep in thought, and hardly spoke as he tried to puzzle it out.

“Yup, it looks damned like an egg. It’s oval-shaped, unless my good eye has failed me, and definitely hasn’t moved, so that only leaves an egg, of a large gem really.” He announced, studying it properly. ‘Whichever it is, it doesn’t start with M.’ he added in his head, making a little private joke out of it. However, he really was curious, and even if it was an egg, he couldn’t work out what sort of animal it belonged to – he had never seen anything like it before in his life.

“I know a good magic trick with three eggs.” He said, completely irrelevantly. It had popped into his mind along with the word ‘egg’, and he found himself thinking about the details of the trick rather than the task in hand. He had a tendency to think off at a tangent, but luckily it never got him into trouble inside cities. Out here, though, he had no idea what it could mean for him.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 12:20 pm

"Yeah, I think you're right, it really is an egg." Zeke agreed. "And I'm sincerely hoping that something has happened to the mother because I do not want her to suddenly turn up now." He could not think of anything else that fit this form and might actually have more than just one colour. It was just too odd. But he definitely did not want to run into any kind of mother, no matter what this egg belonged to. "Judging by the size, the mother cannot be very small, so we might do good in not forgetting our surroundings anymore, lest she suddenly jumps at us." Zeke said this more of a reminder to himself rather than to Ryhs because it was he, who tended to forget everything in the face of something exciting. He wasn't so sure about his new companion. Two pairs of ears definitely heard better than one, and even if Rhys' second eye was damaged, three was still better than just two.

At Rhys' next word, he almost stopped however. "A gem? You think it might actually be a gem?" Looking the object over once again as they kept approaching it, he resolved that it could not be a gem. "It's not shining, and with so many colours, I doubt that the gem would not be glittering in the rays of the sunlight," Zeke spoke his thoughts out loud. "No, it most definitely is an egg." They had now almost approached the thing and the huge oval shape was exactly that. Huge. "What on earth could this belong to? It's so much larger than any egg I have ever encountered!"

Slightly sidetracked by Rhys comment, he replied: "A trick with three eggs? You mean like juggling? Or something more magical?" His curiosity was once again woken by something completely different but he kept an eye on the multicoloured big egg nevertheless, letting his eyes dart towards it every now and then while observing Rhys. "How does it work? Or, I mean.. what does it look like? Since you're probably not going to tell me the details of how you're actually doing it." He laughed a little, curious and excited all at the same time, but also having a strangely foreboding feeling in his gut as if he were afraid to finally fully and completely reach that egg. What if something bad were to happen?
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 10:46 pm

“Well, there’s nothing in our surroundings to forget – we’re just out in the open. How did this even get here?” Rhys pondered to himself. They were only a few feet away now, and it was clearly not a gem, as he had thought. Unless it was an opal, but he had never seen an opal that size, or as perfectly shaped. No, it had to be an egg.

“The trick is really simple, to be honest. It’s basically fancy juggling, but it draws a crowd.” He replied, smiling. He should still have the three eggs hidden in his shirt – he had bought fresh ones just yesterday – so he might perform it later. However, the egg was probably more important.

“As for what it belongs to, I haven’t the slightest idea. It’s the right shape to be a snake egg, but it’s far too big.” He was really rather puzzled. However, that wasn’t going to be enough to stop him closing the last few steps towards it. He took another step, and turned to Zeke.

“Are you ready then?” he grinned, before crouching down right beside the egg. He felt almost drawn to it – like a magpie to something silver, and became suddenly wary. What if this egg was more than it appeared? He may have just sat himself right in harm’s way.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 7:57 am

Zeke grinned at imagining Rhys juggle with eggs, somehow it was not a trick he would have imagined the man doing. It seemed far too… normal, in a way. “Ah well, as long as it attracts crowds, I guess that is what is important.” Though he couldn’t help but wonder if there was at least something special about the eggs. Rhys didn’t seem the kind of normal magician who would do just any kind of normal, boring tricks, but maybe he was also just biased now.

“I really cannot imagine what this would belong to. Oh, oh, wait. Similar to a snake’s egg you say? What if this belongs to a dragon?!” Zeke’s excitement was barely contained at the prospect of maybe having discovered a dragon’s egg. Trying to rein in the agitation however, Zeke cleared his throat and continued on a more serious note: “You’re right though, out in the open like this, we should not be so easily surprised,” Zeke agreed, while glancing about them quickly but there was nothing in sight for miles. “Even though we will be visible for any attackers from miles off as well,” he added with a small frown before turning back to the egg.

Taking those last few steps towards it, he watched Rhys scoop down next to it. “Yeah, I’m ready!!” he piped in excitement, ready to kneel next to the thing as well when a dark look passed over Rhys’ face. “What? What is it?” Zeke asked. “Is something wrong?” Hesitating now, he hovered around the egg, trying to figure out whether he too should approach it or whether he should keep a safer distance. He was slightly worried by the look Rhys had had on his face, even though nothing seemed to be happening. For now at least. Quickly glancing around again, Zeke began to grow nervous but at least there was nothing approaching them and they were still completely on their own in the middle of nowhere, with a multicoloured egg.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 11:11 pm

“If it was a dragon that would be seriously cool. And no, nothing’s wrong. I was just worried something was going to… happen. Ah well, only one way to find out.” Rhys said brightly. Then, opening out his palm, he placed his hand carefully on the cool, smooth egg. It all seemed so magical, so something had to happen, didn’t it?

He waited in silent anticipation for a long moment, with his hand just resting on the egg. He hardly dared to breathe, but as the moments dragged on, nothing happened. He turned to Zeke with a bemused expression on his face.

“Am I the only one who was expecting something to happen?” he asked, looking disappointedly at the egg, but not bothering to remove his hand from its surface. He was just about to stand up again, when he heard something.
It was a kind of drone, that might have been there a while in the background and gone unnoticed, but it was getting louder and louder. As it got louder, it became a rumble, and then a thundering. That was more like it, but he had no idea what was causing it.

Rhys stood up cautiously, looking around as the rumble increased in volume, and backed away from the egg. He was a little cautious, and had no desire to be on the wrong side of whatever was causing the noise. However, he was still too curious to run. Right now they were in mild peril at best. When that was upgraded to life-threatening danger, he might think about running.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 11:55 am

When Rhys put his hand on the egg, Zeke held his breath, rigid with anticipation but almost vibrating with the excitement at the same time. It was all so very awesome, he could barely believe their luck of making an incredible find on their first day of the journey. It was almost too good to be true.

It seemed like ages passed while Rhys’ hand was on the egg and Zeke’s impatience for whatever it was that would happen to finally happen. He was bursting and wanted to know what the egg was. When Rhys finally looked at Zeke, the young man’s shoulders drooped but at least his own disappointment was mirrored in the magician’s face, which made him feel slightly less disappointed. “Nope,” he admitted, “you were definitely not the only one.”

Taking another step closer himself and coming to kneel next to his companion, Zeke stared at the egg, hesitantly placing his own hand on the egg. “And there is nothing even stirring within?” he asked, incredulous at the fact that this had turned out so… normal.
It was when he wanted to say something else that he noticed the expression on Rhys’ face. “What is it?” he almost whispered, not wanting to disturb the man’s concentration. And then he could hear it himself as the sound suddenly grew louder, soon cracking in his ears as if a thunderstorm was right above them.

Quickly following the magician’s example, Zeke removed his hand and took a hasty step away from the egg when he got back to his feet. “What on earth is causing this?” he asked, looking around them in confusion before staring back at the egg. “Do you think it’s coming from inside the egg? I almost can’t hear myself think anymore.” Cocking his head to the side, the young man looked at the egg.

After what seemed like another lifetime of concentrated staring while trying to ignore the evergrowing volume of the drumming, rumbling or whatever it was, Zeke finally got rewarded. Jumping back another step in surprise, he suddenly screamed out: “A-Ha! Look!!” Wildly gesticulating at the egg, he pointed at a specific spot in a purple area of the egg where a small crack had appeared. “Oh my, do you know what this means? It’s hatching!!”
Another loud clap of thunder and suddenly a second crack appeared, running square through the purple and blue patches. Tiny fissures were beginning to spread out all over the outer shell of the egg and Zeke was jumping up and down in excitement, completely forgetting that they might actually be in grave danger if the mother of whatever this egg was should appear.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 6:28 pm

“Well, if it’s hatching at least we’ll get to see what animal it’s from.” Rhys said, trying to suppress his excitement. He wasn’t doing a very good job, because the faint buzz of energy was just detectable at the edges of his voice.

“Wait, hold on, how can it be hatching? It was as cold as ice when I touched it. Something odd must be going on.” He said, suddenly remembering the coolness of the egg. Had it belonged to a bird, an egg that cold would never have hatched, so he could only presume that it belonged to something a little more incredible. He briefly tried to think of any creatures beginning with M that it could belong to, but he couldn’t think of any that laid eggs. It was a puzzlement.

The shell was now a maze of cracks, and Rhys could just see inside the hollow cavity. It was dark, but he could just about make out the shape of something. For a moment he was worried about what it might be, but his curiosity was too great for him to resist. “Zeke, what do you think it is?” he asked quietly, as the rumble died down a little. It sounded like it was getting further away, but he could feel the ground still trembling a little beneath his feet. He hoped the eggs in his pockets hadn’t cracked, but that thought was already a mile away.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Zeke looked just as puzzled at Rhys at the mystery of a chilly egg hatching without having received any previous warmth except for the brief touch of the magician’s hand. He could not explain it himself and if Rhys had not pointed it out, he would probably not even have thought about this. “That is indeed weird,” he agreed. His eyes kept following the cracks while his ears tried not to focus on the terrifying rumbling. It seemed to be getting louder and scarier with every crack that appeared, until suddenly it ebbed away.

Rhys’ question broke through the now almost-silence and Zeke looked back to the man. “I am really not sure,” he admitted. “Considering the size, it cannot be a small animal. I would like to see a dragon hatch out of it but dragons’ eggs have to be sizzling hot as well before they hatch, no? Maybe it’s an ice dragon? Since the egg is cold…” Zeke quickly drifted off again however, sure that what he was babbling was not making all too much sense. Even ice dragons would have to stay close to their eggs and why on earth would a dragon from a colder region drop into a warmer region merely to hatch an egg? It didn’t make sense.

Slowly pacing around the egg, Zeke observed the cracks making their way all over the surface of the shell and this in a relatively quick pace. “Where is the mother though?” Zeke asked anxiously. They were still completely on their own with the egg, in the middle of nowhere and not another creature in sight, apart from the random bird flying overhead. “There has to be a mother somewhere,” Zeke murmured, but more to himself as he was suddenly completely forgetting what he had actually wanted to say when there was suddenly a very loud crack and a piece of the shell fell away nearer the top of the egg. “Oh wow,” Zeke whispered as he positioned himself next to Rhys, his eyes fixed on the hole. Ever so slowly, the opening began to enlarge as something was hammering against the shell from the inside and suddenly a glittering horn poked through. “Whaaa…?!”
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 12:09 am

“No… it wasn’t icy cold – just cool. Too cold to be alive, or so I thought. Clearly that’s not the case.” Rhys said, quite seriously for once. However, when the egg broke open further, his face became a jigsaw of emotions. He looked fascinated, yet terrified, and deep down couldn’t stop thinking that the whole scene reeked of magic. There was a word beginning with M that he could use. He was a magician, and that only made the possibility of bumping into /real/ magic more terrifying.

“Yes, of course, there must… be a mother…” Rhys said slowly, until his words just ground to a halt. His attention was focused on the horn emerging from the egg. Now he really /was/ terrified, but he couldn’t take his gaze off the hatching egg.

“Z-Zeke? Tell me straight: is there really a magic, glowing thing hatching a few feet away?” he asked slowly, blinking hard. The egg was falling away fast as whatever it was hurled itself at the inside of the shell, but he could only make out the vague shape of it. He couldn’t quite figure out how the fragments of animal he was seeing fit together; and it was starting to give him a headache thinking about it.

(ooc;; sorry it's a bit craptastic, i didn't know what else to say xD)
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 8:42 am

Completely and absolutely mesmerized by the happenings, Zeke barely even heard that Rhys was calling out to him. His brain was frantically trying to grasp the meaning of what was happening in front of their eyes. If the egg had been too cold for something living to hatch out of it, would something unliving come out of it now? What did that even mean?

“U-huh,” Zeke finally replied as his brain managed to gather that Rhys was actually talking to him. “There really is something magic and glowing hatching in front of us, with a horn nonetheless.” The words sounded fantastical even to him as he spoke them and they probably sounded not much different to Rhys who had asked them in the first place.

The young man kept his eyes firmly on the egg, the fissures increasing by the second now, more and more pieces of the shell crumbling away under the force put in by the creature to hatch out of the egg completely. It was impressive and terrifying to see all at once. Zeke had never seen anything bigger or more spectacular than a chicken hatch from an egg and this was quite different. The egg had only been a hint as to the creature coming out of it. Streaks of purple, blue, pink, green and many other colours were covering the body of the beast as it finally wriggled itself out of the egg, partially covered in shells. Zeke was dumbstruck by its appearance, guessing that it was a unicorn or horned dragon maybe of some sort but he really could not be sure. It could be something entirely different for all he knew, it might be something completely unknown to mankind before this occurrence. As odd as the creature looked, Zeke believed anything to be possible.

“Wow,” he whispered as the creature began to shake itself and make rumbling noises. Without leaving the creature out of sight, he poked Rhys next to him. “What is this being?”
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 9:42 pm

“I have no idea, Zeke.” Rhys said slowly, studying the creature in front of them. It was only about ankle-high, but it carried a certain air of danger about it. It had a central horn in the middle of its forehead, and long, multicoloured fur all over, but it didn’t look quite… real. It was like it wasn’t quite living – or at least not on the same plane of existence as Zeke and Rhys. “…But it’s really impressive, I must say.” He added, his smile returning to the corners of his mouth. He was still quaking where he stood, but no one could deny that the creature, whatever it was, was awe-inspiring.

The creature in front of them looked up, its eyes glinting almost golden in the light. For a moment Rhys froze, unsure how to react, before the being before them made an odd mewling noise – completely unlike the rumbling it had been making before. It sounded like a kitten, and that tiny noise made him realise just how young and helpless the creature was. He looked around, scanning the horizon for signs of its mother, or even just another of its kind. He could see nothing.

“There’s not even a single footprint in the dust – it doesn’t look like anything is coming back for this little guy.” Rhys commented, feeling a little sorry for the creature. He was all too familiar with the feeling of being all alone – completely abandoned by those who should have cared for him. His irrational fear of the newborn creature evaporated, and he found himself feeling almost akin with the little colourful, hairy unicorn.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 2:32 pm

“Since when do unicorns… hatch?” Zeke asked hesitantly, almost staggering over the words. It just seemed so odd for a creature looking more like a mammal than anything else to be hatched from an egg. “Maybe it just isn’t an ordinary unicorn. Maybe it’s something much more… mysterious,” he finally said after racking his brain for a suitable word but to no avail. Who would leave behind such a creature? It was too fabulous to leave out in the middle of nothing for just anyone to do whatever they wanted with it.Why would a mother abandon its young one?

Looking around the egg and inspecting the floor upon hearing Rhys’ words, he was surprised to realise that there really was no sign whatsoever for anyone having been here in quite a while. “Dropped from the sky?” Zeke mused, shaking his head at his own thoughts. “Maybe it dropped from someone’s cart, although there aren’t any tracks of such a thing either.” It was a mystery to him how this egg had gotten here and he was beginning to question whether he was even awake.
“So what are we going to do with him? Or her?” Zeke frowned as he looked at the little beast, still amazed by the colourful fur and the oddly cute sound it had all of a sudden made.

Hesitantly, the young man went onto his knees next to the creature and looked at it more closely, carefully keeping his face out of reach of the unusually sharp looking horn and teeth, hooves, anything the beast could use as a weapon. “Are you hungry?” he asked softly. A loud bleak was the reply and the unicorn looked as if it was going to charge him at any second. The head was suddenly bent downwards with the horn pointing towards his now delicately exposed stomach and lower parts, making Zeke quickly straighten up back onto his feet. “Well, it seems not quite as defenseless as I thought it would be and it reacts to voices at least,” he mused. “Plainly not liking mine,” he added with a low chuckle. The unicorn had straightened itself up again as well as soon as Zeke had gotten out of sight again and was now angrily waving its tail back and forth. Clearly, it was annoyed.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 11:37 pm

“Well it was cold enough to signal that it’s mother hasn’t been near for some time, so it could just be that her tracks have been washed away since then, nut I must admit I cannot imagine what this little thing is doing here.” He said, his own thoughts building on Zeke’s musings as he explored the possibility. He didn’t think that a human had been responsible for it – an egg that size and colour could almost have passed for a rare, pearly-white opal larger that any other, and would have been worth a fortune. However, it did all seem very strange. Unicorns were rare enough, but this… thing had to be something much more incredible.

“I think… I think we should keep it.” Rhys said decisively, looking at the fluffy, rainbow-coloured thing sympathetically. He was just ready to pick it up when it tried to charge Zeke.

“Whoa, little guy, slow down! Hush, hush, it’s alright.” He said softly – in an almost fatherly voice that he didn’t remember ever having used before. He had taken quite a liking to the little fluffy (and slightly neurotic) creature, as bizarre as it might sound.
He lowered his hand to its head gently, remaining standing just in case it did decide to go for him, and gently touched the soft, colourful fluff around its horn. It looked at him venomously for a moment, but made no move to attack. In fact, it almost looked relaxed, and Rhys couldn’t help smiling at it.

“Well, we can’t leave it here – someone will have it for either its hide or its horn within hours. This counts as that mystery we were looking for, I’m sure. Either way, we can’t just leave it here.” He said, straightening up again. The little unicorn made a chirping noise and gummed at the bottom of his trouser leg, before scratching his ankle quite viciously with its horn. He jerked away from it, but still refused to see the newborn as any kind of danger.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 9:02 am

“Keep it?!” Zeke looked at Rhys with huge eyes. “Are you serious? What would we even do with it?” Although, when he considered the suggestion for a moment, he realised that Rhys might actually have made a very interesting proposal. Why not keep it? Aside the fact that the unicorn did not take to Zeke, though it seemed to like Rhys. It was better than nothing and Zeke, for the time being, could live with admiring the thing from a distance. As long as it wasn’t bleaking, or rumbling, or meowling all the time, they could easily take it along with them without being spotted miles off by anything or anyone having bad intentions.

The unicorn – if that really was what it was – seemed quite happy to be patted for a while however, and it seemed to start calming down a little. In any case, its tail seemed to be swishing a little less from side to side and its expression was slightly more appeased, venomous expression in its eyes aside.

“No, you’re right. We cannot leave him here. And you’re right,” Zeke laughed, “this really is a mystery, exactly what we’ve been looking for and it fell right into our laps.” Still looking at the creature, he added: “It would be a shame if the wrong people got their hands on it.” As the unicorn was rubbing its horn against Rhys’ ankle, hard enough to make the man jump back, Zeke asked: “Do you think it might be hungry?” The unicorn briefly looked at Zeke before it started to follow Rhys, making Zeke grin. “It really does like you. Plus, it seems like it understands what we’re saying.” A low grumble came from the unicorn at this, but whether it was because it was confirming Zeke’s words or simply growling because Rhys’ leg was out of reach, he did not know.

“Do we have any kind of food with us that we could feed it?” The young man began rummaging through his pockets and the small bag he was carrying over his shoulder – it carried most of his useful tools and the few precious belongings he had on him at all times – and came out with a piece of bread. “If it’s anything like a horse in its eating habits, we should be able to give it bread? Though it’s not quite hard enough to really be good for him. And the beastie is probably too young to be able to eat grass.”
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 6:45 pm

“Hmm, let me check – I may well have something the little fellow might like.” He said, delving into his deep pockets. One of them contained his eye patch collection (which was growing ever-larger – he seemed to accumulate them every time he attended some social outing of another), but the others were filled with random items – some for his performances, but others just because he had nowhere else to put them. He started sorting through them, and came out with a handful of things.

There was a ball of string resting in the crook of his elbow, where it had rolled out of the pocket with the other things, and an assortment of snacks. He had a few slightly stale biscuits, a little paper bag filled with some kind of nuts, a crust of bread that looked relatively fresh and a nosebag half-filled with oats. He had no idea where they had come from originally, and was sure there was more in the others, but that little selection seemed like it ought to do for the time being.

“And I probably have some cheese and a couple of eggs in here too – I stopped at the marketplace the other day to pick some up, and I don’t remember eating any.” He said, presenting the armful to Zeke while carefully balancing the ball of string. He always carried strong – string and bandages, that is – since they seemed to fit any situation. He was a good person to be around in a time of adversity, actually, since he always had such curious things hoarded away in his huge pockets.

“So, we can keep it?” he smiled gleefully, quirking one eyebrow in a questioning look. The unicorn for that was the best work he could think of for the little creature) was back at his ankles, and didn’t seem at all aggressive towards him anymore. It was like it had decided he was its mother, strange though it sounded, and he wasn’t sure what to make of it. However, it did seem like it would make their journey a lot more interesting with the little critter around.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 6:55 pm

“Eggs?” Zeke grinned. “Just be careful you don’t break them; that would be quite the mess!” Chuckling at the notion, Zeke shook his head a little and eyed the rest of the snacks. “The oats might be a good idea?” Staring at the little creature, which was rubbing its horn against Rhys’ ankle again and generally seeming to start getting rather attached to the magician, Zeke pondered whether he should try and gain a little of its affection by feeding it. He decided against it however. As long as the unicorn like one of them, it would be enough for now and it would at least follow them for certain instead of being stuck here alone in the wilderness. He would give it a go some time later when the animal had grown used to his presence alongside Rhys’.

“Yeah, I think we should keep it,” Zeke smiled at the happy expression on his new friend’s face and motioned towards his collection. “I’ll hold on to everthing we don’t need for now while you try to feed it. It might be more willing to accept anything when it’s coming from you.” As he began taking all the various items out of Rhys’ grasp, Zeke remembered that he still had a few cookies stored somewhere in his bag. “I do have some cookies, but they’re so deep underneath everything else in my bag that I fear they might be inedible by now. Maybe we could find some fruit on the way that he might want to eat? Or maybe he’s carnivorous?” Zeke gulped slightly at that notion, maybe that was why it was so intent on wanting to poke them with its horn, to see if they were not too stringy? But no, that was a ridiculous thought, and he shook his head at the notion. Unicorns didn’t eat meat, even less so if they were anything like horses like he thought they were.

“Shall we still head into the same direction now though?” Zeke asked, but then quickly replied to himself: “Yeah, why shouldn’t we? It would be nice to have him along on our adventure. He might even come to enjoy it, who knows?” For the first time in quite a while, Zeke looked away from the unicorn again and scanned their surroundings. There was still nothing moving in a very large radius around them and the young man slowly began to believe that there wasn’t a mother going to turn up to gather up her youngling any time soon. “Shoudn’t we give him a name?”
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 12:48 pm

“Ok, I’ll try the oats. If he is carnivorous I probably have some salted pork wrapped up somewhere too, so don’t worry.” He said, passing over the odd collection to keep the oats. He crouched down and patted the little creature, before tipping a few oats onto is palm and holding them out for it. The little unicorn looked uncertain, and sniffed at them a little disapprovingly, but stuck out its tongue to pick one of the oats up all the same. Its tongue was a startling shade of purple, and looked like it was quite sticky too. The oats disappeared, and the little creature licked its lips, deciding if it liked them. Then, after a moment’s though, it spat them back out and pulled a face.

“Well, apparently oats are a no-go.” Rhys said, folding up the nosebag and tucking it into his pocket. He was just about to start looking for a new food to try it on, when he heard Zeke’s comment about names.

“Ooh, we /do/ need to give him a name. Let me think…” He trailed off, still rummaging in his pockets. Names were flashing through his head, mainly from cats and dogs around the few cities he’d visited. Fluffy? Not a chance. Mittens? Still too cutesy, since the little unicorn didn’t seem as docile as he would have expected. Marty? Maybe, but it still didn’t feel quite right.

“Something beginning with M.” he said absently, flicking through more names. Finally, he found one he sort of liked. “What about Maurice?” he said, playing the name over in his head. It was very… ordinary for such a remarkable creature, but maybe that was a good thing?

As he thought, his hand brushed something cool in his pocket, and he pulled it out to reveal the scraps of salted pork that he had been stowing away. Well, if the unicorn wasn’t going to eat oats like horses did, maybe it was worth a try. He tore off a tiny piece, and held it out, waiting for a response from the little creature, and any further suggestions on names from Zeke.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 11:53 am

Zeke almost started laughing out loud at the unicorn’s expression after spitting back out the oats. “Definitely not its kind of food,” he chuckled, in agreement with Rhys’ words. It might not like cookies in that case either so both Rhys’ and his were ruled out, which left a bit of bread, the piece of salted porc the magician was probably now hunting for. The nuts might not work either and Zeke was reverting back to his idea about grass. But.. no, he really wasn’t sure anymore. He had been so certain that oats might work.

As far as the name question was concerned, Zeke didn’t really have anything in mind, but he gladly offered a few options, laughing as Rhys mentioned it had to be with ‘M’. “Hmm... how about Malorn.. Mystaro... M... – Oh I like Maurice!” he exclaimed, immediately forgetting everything else that was in his mind apart from that name. “Let’s name him Maurice!”

Eyeing the unicorn which was eyeing them both with a mixture of curiosity and mistrust, Zeke asked it: “Do you like that name? Maurice?” By now the magician was holding out a piece of salted porc towards the unicorn and as before the creature sniffed at it and hesitantly slabbed it up with its unusually purple tongue, completely ignoring the question Zeke had asked it, but then again, it was an animal after all and it had certainly only been part of his imagination that he had thought the unicorn would understand what he was saying, wasn’t it?
This time however, instead of spitting it out, it began to chew delightedly on the piece of meat and soon bleaked at the two men to have some more as the first piece was gone within instants. “Well, I guess that saves us the trouble of having to find food for it, we can just give it pieces of our what we can hunt for ourselves.”

It was curious to see a horse-like creature behave like a carnivore. It only told them even more that this was not just a normal unicorn, but that there was something special about it. They had yet to find out what it was however. “Unusual little being, isn’t he?” Zeke murmured, more to himself than to anyone in particular, but still loud enough for Rhys to clearly hear the words.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 1:41 pm

Rhys laughed as the unicorn snapped the meat out of his hand, and began to tear another piece off. As he handed it over, he tutted under his breath to catch it’s attention. As the unicorn turned its head, he said softly, “Maurice? That’s going to be your name now, ok little guy?” The unicorn just stared at the meat, but that was good enough for now. Rhys handed it over, pulling his fingers out of the way before little Maurice managed to catch them in his desperate attempt to snatch as much meat as possible.

“Yes, I have a feeling that he’ll eat anything we manage to take down – he seems to have quite the appetite.” He laughed, shaking his head a little as Maurice finished off the second piece of meat and bleaked for more, licking his lips to rescue any scraps that had escaped. Rhys thought it was simply adorable.

“Yes, he certainly is. I’ve never heard of a carnivorous unicorn but I guess there’s a first for everything. We’d better get going though – we’ll never get anywhere if we spend all day here. Come on Maurice, you’ll get another bit of meat if you follow us.” He said, standing up. Maurice looked at him solemnly, and almost looked upset when he stood up, but the little unicorn showed no signs of leaving the two men. That was a good thing, at least. They couldn’t loose Maurice now, not after all that time they’d spent trying to work out what he was. And then, of course, there was the fact that Rhys was growing more and more attached to him, despite his slightly aggressive, carnivorous behavior.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 3:13 pm

Observing little Maurice devour almost all of Rhys' stash in one go, Zeke shook his head smiling. "Well, I guess that means we'll have to go hunting more often. Or teach Maurice to hunt. It would actually be nice to have a little help, especially if he is going to eat a lot while he's still growing." The small one really did have quite the appetite and Zeke was worrying a little bit if they could ever hunt enough prey for Maurice to satisfy his hunger. However, even though they might be free spirits and could just about anything they wanted to, he was not willing to spent all his time hunting for animals so Maurice and they themselves did not go hungry.

"You're right, let's get going," Zeke agreed. He had been about to suggest the same anyways, now that most of their questions were cleared up, the creature was fed a little, named and still seemingly attached to Rhys. There was nothing to be gained by remaining in this spot, looking at the empty egg shell. Before moving on however, Zeke bent down and picked up a piece of the shell. "Maybe someone will now what this might be from, if we come across a knowledgeable person along the way." Zeke explained. "No need to show Maurice to anyone if we don't want anything to happen to him, but the shell might give enough information if there is a scholar somewhere along our path."

As soon as they began moving onwards however, Rhys luring Maurice with a piece of meat, the little unicorn willingly followed them even though the expression on its face was less than pleased. Not merely because the magician was refusing to give him all of the meat but also because it wasn't ready yet to leave its egg. Something in the back of its mind was telling it to stay close to the shell and then everything would be alright.

From somewhere in the distance, a loud roar drifted over to them and Zeke immediately looked up into the skies, but he couldn't see anything. "Maybe we should try and for a few trees somewhere," he suggested. "If that thing, whatever it was, is heading this way, I do not want to be in its line of sight." While they had been walking, a small grouping of bushes and trees had appeared on the horizon, hinting towards a larger forest probably appearing further into the distance relatively soon. It might not be much protection, but it should certainly be enough to hide for a few minutes if need be. The roar sounded again and this time a little closer. "Maybe we should pick up speed a little," Zeke grunted, not all too pleased with the sound of it all. "Come along now Maurice, we need to run."
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 3:49 pm

At Zeke’s suggestion to keep some of the shell, Rhys nodded in agreement. Maurice didn’t seem keen on leaving it anyway, and there was always room in his many pockets for another oddity. He picked up the biggest pieces of shell and studied them for a moment, using them as well as the meat to lead Maurice along the path. They were surprisingly thick, and he couldn’t break them, but they were about the right size to fit into one of his pockets. He wrapped them in the piece of oiled paper that had been holding the salted pork, and tucked them away, before continuing on after Zeke.

As the roar drifted towards them, however, a little more urgency struck the magician, and he looked behind them in concern. “Yes, we should definitely find cover. That does not sound like anything friendly.” He said, speeding up his pace. Maurice called to him as he increased his speed, however, and he realized that the newborn Unicorn couldn’t actually move that quickly. What had he been expecting, anyway? The creature was less that an hour old, and they were demanding it to run. Crossing his fingers in the hope that Maurice wouldn’t bite him, he scooped the furry little guy up and started to jog, cradling the unicorn carefully in his arms. Maurice relaxed into him and the constant motion of Rhys’ jogging, and before long gave a quiet little yawn. That would certainly make moving a bit easier.

Further down the path, in a vaguely straight line from where they were now, Rhys could see what looked like a little copse of trees – not a forest exactly, but enough to cover them for a while – and even further along the start of a proper forest. It seemed like they may as well stick to the path and aim for the trees, since Rhys certainly didn’t want to bump into whatever was making the roaring sound behind them, even if it turned out to be nothing too dangerous.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 8:48 am

With the unicorn safely cradled in Rhys’ arms, they could pick up more speed and soon they were dashing towards the trees in a wild run as yet another roar sounded over the open fields. Seeing that Rhys was not going in a straight beeline for the small grouping but rather headed for the forest, he called out while running. “Do you think we can make it?”
On the other hand, they simply had to because the scrubs around the first patch of trees looked far less dense up close than it had from a distance, and depending on what was on the hunt behind them would not be fooled. The forest was their only option.

Behind them, everything seemed quiet for a while and Zeke wanted to slow down desperately as his side began hurting from a cramp and his breath was starting to come in ragged gasps but they could not afford to slow down without knowing what might await them if they did. Not far away from them a startled herd of deer began scrambling for the treeline as well at their approach, the newest roar making Zeke’s hair stand on edge.

As soon as they hit the treeline, Zeke wanted to stop but he knew they still should not, but at least they could slow down from their sprint and run at a slower pace. They merely had to make sure they really were absolutely out of sight. “Are… you… alright? And Maurice?” Zeke panted, holding his side as he tried to calm his breathing once they slowed to a walk.

“It’s odd that the deer only seemed startled by us rather than by the roaring. Aren’t they usually afraid of anything loud and moving?” Zeke scratched his head, starting to believe that everything he used to know was slowly being turned upside down. He had barely uttered the words when yet another roar sounded and a large, dark shadow passed over the canopy of trees above them. “That looks extremely huge,” Zeke whispered as he squinted his eyes as to better see what the shadow belonged to. “Is that a dragon? I’ve never seen one so huge!”
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 11:01 pm

“Of course we can make it.” Rhys said, more confidently than he actually believed. He didn’t even want to entertain the other possibility. Maybe he was overly-weary of the dangers outside the safe, stone walls of a city, but he didn’t think that whatever was following them would be giving them half a chance to escape alive if it caught them.

As the trees loomed closer, promising safety, Rhys felt his legs start to tremble and his sides start to ache. He hadn’t run like that for years – there was no need to inside a city, and it was really showing. However, he never let his arms loosen their grip on Maurice, and as the two men ran, the unicorn dropped off into a pleasant sleep, oblivious to the danger around him.

As they finally made it to the trees, Rhys’ legs finally gave up on him, and he tripped momentarily, before regaining his balance and getting a little further into the patch of trees. As they slowed to a walk, his sides burned more than ever, and he could hardly breathe. However, he managed to blurt out something along the lines of ‘I’m fine’ when Zeke asked. Maurice made a little chirping noise in his sleep, and continued to snooze in Rhys’ arms. It took him a moment to regain his strength and manage conversation again.

“It could be – I’m no expert on dragons and the like, so I wouldn’t know. It could even be something like a griffon, or some sort of eagle.” He said, still panting a little. He looked mildly awkward cradling Maurice in both arms, and felt a little ridiculous. However, he soon forgot about that when Zeke mentioned the deer.

“That’s true – they’re usually so skittish that they’d run a mile at the sound of a snapped twig. I wonder if this is a normal occurrence of something?” he said, raising an eyebrow in thought. He hadn’t noticed at the time, but the deer had looked right at the shadow behind them without batting an eyelid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next