Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

Female Loveliness : 16

Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 8:39 pm

“Not sure what’s the matter, but it’s no stranger than usual.” Rhys said, commenting quickly on Maurice’s odd behaviour before switching back to the more important topic of dinner. It was true that they needed something to actually cook first, but Rhys didn’t turst his fire-starting skills enough to leave it until the last moment. He nodded as Zeke explained that he was going hunting, and quickly started to look for dry wood, at least remembering where to start. It hadn’t rained heavily for a while now, so most of the wood in the area was dry, making his job much easier. It didn’t take him long to gather up a good pile, but carrying it back to the mossy area they had picked proved problematic. He couldn’t carry more than a couple of sticks at a time without the scar at his waist complaining. The wound had long since healed over, of course, but the blade had cut deep, and the muscles still ached in complaint if he tried to overwork them. It annoyed him – he used to be so able-bodied, but now he could barely manage to swing a mace comfortably.

Once the pile had been transferred to a reasonably clear patch of ground in the middle of the mossy patch, he set to work trying to light the fire. It took him a while, but eventually he had the fire roaring away, leaving him alone with Maurice. The unicorn regarded the fire with deep suspicion, and kept well away from it, but kept the eggshell close by him. Rhys made no move to take it off him – there was no point really. Instead he brought out a pack of cards, and began to shuffle them, just to give himself something to do. The card seemed to fly from hand to hand, guided by far too much time spent practising, and he settled easily into the rhythm of passing the cards back and forth

He became so absorbed in the fluttering cards that he didn’t notice Zeke until he spoke. He jumped, sending the cards to the ground in a scattered heap, before looking up sharply. He relaxed as he realised it was Zeke, and grinned at his catch. “Yes, those will certainly do the trick.” He smiled, scooping up the cards with a patience that suggested he had done so many times before and tucking them into one of his pockets again. The pheasant looked good – he hadn’t really eaten it for a while, but seemed to remember it being a nice sort of meat, and the rabbit was certainly large enough for a decent meal. He had been a little concerned that they might not get to eat, but apparently he needn’t have worried.

“So, roast them both and go from there?” he suggested, not feeling like trying anything time consuming like making stew or the likes. Plus it was getting darker, and he was feeling more and more on edge, which he was sure must be showing a little. He really had to get used to the outdoors more – it wouldn’t do to continue cowering like this.

Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

Female Loveliness : 68

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 9:00 pm

“Oh sorry,” Zeke apologised, “I didn’t mean to startle you.” It was unmistakeable that Rhys had not been paying attention to his surroundings, if the way the cards were suddenly flying through the air was any sort of a hint. Zeke had not realised that the magician might be absorbed in something else and he had not meant to sneak up on the man. Yet, Rhys did not seem to mind all too much, despite being a little edgy, as he began the painful job of picking up all the cards again.

“Yes,” Zeke nodded, “roasting is the best way to get the taste out of both of them with the few supplies we have, and so much quicker. I’m not sure about you, but I’m starving, even more so when I think about this delicious piece of meat disappearing into the depths of my stomach.”
Without further ado, Zeke began to rip off the pheasant’s feathers, a tedious but necessary job which seemed to catch Maurice’s attention. Zeke wasn’t quite sure whether that was a good or a bad thing but the unicorn observed his every move carefully, sniffing at a few of the fallen feathers from time to time.

“He seems quite interested in this,” the young man addressed the magician. “Do you think he’s afraid that this is going to happen to him?” With an odd squeak, the unicorn looked at him before glancing at his bald patch. Zeke raised his eyebrows in surprise and halted in his work for a second as he observed Maurice. “No, don’t worry Maurice. Nobody is going to start ripping out your fur. Though I do find it odd that he just lost this patch randomly,” Zeke mused as he glanced at Rhys. They had had this topic before, he knew it but it was odd. As if to console himself, the unicorn went to pick up his eggshell and curled up around it, his back to the whole feather plucking.

To get themselves onto other topics rather than trying to figure the unicorn out, which they were not going to manage anyways, Zeke turned back to the cooking topic: “So, once we’re done with all the skin and feathers, do you want to put any sort of spices onto the meat or do you just want to leave it tasting like fresh flames?”
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 8:47 pm

“Don’t worry – no harm done. They’re just cards.” He chuckled, twiddling the last card (a joker, so not of any real importance) between his thumb and forefinger. Then he nodded at Zeke’s suggestion, and picked up the rabbit as the other man sat down to pluck the pheasant. He’d skinned rabbits before (he used to pick up work wherever he could find it, and the butcher had been among those to take him), and figured he may as well help speed up the process. He pulled a sharp dagger from his belt and set about stripping away the rabbit’s fur.

“He’s been twitchy all night, so don’t worry about it. He probably just doesn’t understand why you’re pulling its feathers out.” He added, also noticing Maurice’s wary expression towards the flying feathers. He reached out a hand and patted him – gently to avoid dislodging another wad of fur, but firmly enough to reassure the unicorn. Maurice gurgled a little, before picking up his eggshell and curling up with it, facing away from them both.

“Yes, him loosing it was strange – his skin is really cold too.” He replied, remembering his realization of that fact earlier on. Cold, dead egg, cold skin, fur falling out… it didn’t make any sense. Oh, and there were those freaky, blank eyes. If he wasn’t so fond of the odd creature he would probably be quite scared of him – there was nothing particularly settling about being around Maurice - that was for sure.

“Personally I don’t mind, but I would be tempted to just throw some fresh herbs into the fire with them, and leave them fresh. That way we should get a smoky sort of taste, which is usually quite pleasant.” He said, dimly remembering cooking his meat that way at some point in the past. If he remembered correctly it had been quite nice, so it seemed worth suggesting.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 4:47 pm

“A few spices it is then,” Zeke agreed, rummaging around to see what he could find in his small bag. There had to be a few spices in there somewhere, though he couldn’t but sure what they were anymore as it had been quite a while since he had filled up his stock. He made a mental note to check this more thoroughly in the next town and actually spend a few coins to buy some more. They could always come in handy and bland meat tasted so much better with a bit of spices on top.

Zeke was glad that Rhys had skinned the rabbit – it was the job he preferred not to do if it could be helped, especially seeing that he was not very good at it. He might be quite able to wield a knife when it came to carving wood but he was lost when he had to skin an animal. “Thank you,” he said to Rhys as he offered the magician the branch he thought would serve well as a spit.

It wasn’t all too long before the fantastic smell of the roasted animals began to waft through the forest and Zeke’s stomach growled loudly, reminding the young man just how hungry he was. “Ah, this is going to be good. Almost a real feast considering our circumstances. You wouldn’t get a nicer dinner in a pub somewhere.” It was obvious that Zeke was rather proud of their food and the nice job they had done of cleaning it all.

Even Maurice had switched positions and moved his nose closer to the fire to sniff the lovely smell. Their thoughts and conversations always seemed to come back to the unicorn and the more they talked about him, the more Zeke worried about the implications they might have inflicted upon themselves by staying and watching as the egg hatched. Then again, neither of them could have just left a freshly hatched animal on its own in the wilderness without a mother in sight.

“I still sometimes wonder if his mother is not suddenly going to turn up out of nowhere,” Zeke mused, slightly startled as he noticed he had actually spoken the words out loud. “But maybe we should stop worrying so much and simply take things as they are and deal with them as they come up instead of worrying about things we know nothing about anyways.” Zeke was not the worrying kind mostly and when he did hit a worrying streak he tried to disregard it again as quickly as possible.

“Ooh, food is done!” he suddenly exclaimed, all excited again, as he prodded the meat once more and it appeared to be just perfect for consumption. “Make your pick, gents,” he grinned as he looked at Rhys and Maurice, wondering which parts they’d both want to eat.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 12:35 pm

“Sounds good.” Rhys smiled, wondering how Zeke would actually season the meat. Rhys generally ate anything that was put in front of him, so it would be nice to see how Zeke would serve their food. He took the pointed branch from him gladly, and set it across his lap to use for the meat.

The rabbit was still fresh, so the skin came away easily, meaning that soon enough he had a clean piece of meat to present to Zeke, ready for seasoning. He would leave that to Zeke though – he probably had all sorts of spices in his pockets, but had no idea how to actually use any of them. It was a good thing he wasn’t picky.

As the roasting meat started to cook, the fragrance it gave off was almost magical. Zeke was right: you wouldn’t get anything this good in a pub, and Rhys’ mouth was watering in anticipation already. “It smells wonderful - better than anything I’ve had for weeks, probably.” He said aloud, smiling as the smell got stronger. It was true that he never really ate well in the city – his magic act barely made enough money to buy the most bland of dishes along with his equipment for the act, so he rarely ate anything exciting. Even Maurice was moving in to smell the smoky, spicy meat. Rhys put a hand out to keep the unicorn back from the fire in case he hurt himself, and smiled at the little creature. “He certainly seems hungry.” He remarked, as Maurice tried to push his hand out of the way. Rhys chuckled, and patted Maurice’s head gently, before looking back to the fire.

“Hmm, I suppose there’s a chance, but I wouldn’t count on it. Once a mother has left her son behind she rarely comes back.” Rhys said, his voice edged with a peculiar tone – like a mix of anger and sadness, hidden behind a mask of forced happiness. He liked to pretend that he didn’t need a family, but the fact that they had left him behind had left a permanent dent in his thoughts. He blinked the feeling away, and grinned again. “I think we’re stuck with him now,” he laughed, certain that they couldn’t get rid of Maurice now even if they wanted to.

His smile grew wider and more genuine as Zeke announced that the food was ready. Rhys looked over the golden, roasted meat, trying to choose. They both looked and smelled wonderful. “I’ll take a piece of the rabbit, then, to be safe. If there’s any pheasant left I might try some, but I know where I stand with rabbit.” He smiled, pointing to the beautiful, dark, flaky meat.

Maurice’s eyes grew wider, and he chirped in a tone that seemed to say he was spoilt for choice. As long as it was meat, the unicorn didn’t seem picky. It seemed strange that he was so indifferent to what kind of meat he was eating, but wouldn’t go near a bag of oats. Well, they could hardly expect him to have normal tastes, could they?

Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 11:54 am

Zeke couldn’t help but notice the edge which had crept into Rhys’ tone but he was not sure whether it was a good idea to venture a question at this particular moment in time. Maybe later they could have a more serious talk about their previous experiences in life – both of them were bitter enough with regards to certain things, it could prove to be quite interesting.

Focusing on the actual topic at hand however, the young man replied: “Yes, it does seem unlikely that she is ever going to turn up again.” Squinting at Rhys, he grinned: “It really does seem like we’re stuck with him, Mummy.” He added the latter part to make fun of the magician, joking about the fact that the unicorn had so clearly adopted him. It was rather hilarious, he thought. Maybe Maurice would at some point even get used to Zeke or at least get passed the merely tolerating him act he was playing for the time being.

“Oh I’m sure there will be something left of the pheasant, don’t worry. We won’t be able to eat all of this in one go anyway,” Zeke assured his new friend. With a look at Maurice, he added: “And I mean that, we will not be as lucky every day so we have to ration this, no matter how hungry you are.” The unicorn just stared at him and kept chirping, licking his lips as he shifted his glance from one piece of meat to the other and back again.

Zeke went to cut up the rabbit, handing a rather large hind-leg to Rhys so he could easily keep a hold of his food by the bones before cutting of a huge chunk of the meaty bit in the middle for Maurice. “Now don’t devour it too quickly. It’s hot and you should enjoy it,” Zeke told the unicorn as he placed the meat in front of him.
Maurice didn’t much care for Zeke’s warning, but he did shy away a little from eating too quickly when he noticed that the food was indeed rather hot. Thus, he took it a little slower as suggested, even though – if he were to talk – he would not admit that Zeke had been right.

The young man immediately cut another piece of the meaty bit of the pheasant for Maurice, placing it next to the rabbit meat, so it had a bit of time to cool down before their little pet would devour that too. For himself, he cut a hind-leg from the pheasant before he finally sat down next to Rhys and began tucking in.

“If I have to say so myself, this bird is rather nice,” Zeke said, while savouring the taste of the still quite juicy meat and the spices. “You definitely have to taste this while it’s still hot, it will have a different taste once it’s cold.” That also reminded him that they would probably not be able to properly dry this since they did not have the means, but the food would still be good tomorrow and get the three of them through the day. Depending on how overly hungry Maurice would be. The unicorn was wolfing its food down like it had not in eaten in forever.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:42 pm

Rhys scowled briefly, and stuck his tongue out at Zeke, but he couldn’t stop himself laughing. “Mummy? Really?” he snorted, wishing that he actually had a defence, but the little unicorn wasn’t helping. Even as Rhys tried to bat the comment away, Maurice nudged his leg and licked his knee playfully, as if to confirm that whatever manhood Rhys had been clinging to had gone completely. However, when the food was brought to their attention, Maurice was straight back by the fire, drooling in anticipation.

Rhys smiled, shaking his head as Zeke tried to explain to the hungry unicorn that they wouldn’t always eat this well. He doubted a single word was going in – Maurice had been hungry all day, so it was unlikely he was going to take his attention away from the food just yet. Rhys didn’t blame him – the food smelled gorgeous, and he was sure his eyes must have been like saucers staring at it.

Rhys took the meat happily, and held it just for the smell for a moment. He hadn’t had fresh roast rabbit for ages – it wasn’t worth the effort to catch the little buggers in cities, so it was more common to find lamb or the likes. However, the larger animals had never seemed quite as tender. He let the meat cool a little, watching Maurice pick at his. It seemed almost like he was listening to Zeke, but only almost. He could tell that getting the man and the unicorn to get long would be difficult – at least for the first few days.

“I will try a bit in a moment then.” Rhys smiled, deciding that the pheasant was probably just as nice as it smelled. Then he sank his teeth into it. It seemed to explode flavour, and he bit off a huge piece greedily. Bad move. He had underestimated how hot it had been, straight off the fire, and it hurt his tongue. He brought his free hand up to his mouth, eyes watering, and flailed the hand holding the rest of the meat pathetically.

“I’ff buwnt my mouf!” He explained, flailing a little before he finally managed to swallow it without making any more of a fuss. He felt ridiculous, but laughed, shaking his head at himself.

“Remind me never to try that again.” He laughed, sticking his tongue out as if the cold air would stop it getting burnt by another hasty mouthful. He looked at Maurice, who was wolfing down his food even faster, and felt jealous that the unicorn had managed not to burn himself, but kept smiling anyway. It was funny to watch Maurice eat – he looked like he was half-starved, but it made no sense for him to be that hungry if he had only hatched earlier that day. Ah well, Rhys had left his sense back at home, so that wasn't an issue any more.

Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 10:53 am

Being in the middle of biting off another rather large piece as Rhys was flailing his hand around in a vain attempt to get some air into his mouth to soothe his burnt tongue, Zeke almost spit out his food again due to laughter, and obviously now started choking on a piece of meat lodged somewhere in his throat while he could not breathe because he was choking and laughing at the same time.

“I thought it would be enough to warn Maurice about it being hot, didn’t think I’d have to warn you about it as well,” he joked once he caught his breath again. He had to admit though, the meat really was hot fresh from the fire but he seemingly did not have as much trouble with the meat being hot as others generally did. Thus, he could regularly indulge in larger chunks without feeling as though his whole mouth was burning up.

Once they were done eating, tasting a bit of everything and trying to keep the rest away from the unicorn’s greedy mouth, they left the meat to cool off over night while they went to sleep – even Maurice had understood that the food was to be kept for tomorrow, otherwise they would have to hunt again and they could not be certain what would await them the next day.

Unexpectedly, by Zeke at least, the next couple of days passed quietly without any major interruptions, no beasts hunting them, no mother unicorn turning up to claim her baby from the adoptive mummy-Rhys. Maurice regularly bleaked for want of food but for the most part, he seemed to be rather content travelling with the two, even if it seemed a bit boring for the time being seeing that nothing seemed to happen. But on the other hand, maybe that was just as well, this way they could save their strength and actually just enjoy each other’s company on this spontaneous trip.

Almost a week had passed since they had stumbled across Maurice’s egg when they were now sitting in the afternoon sun to take a small break from the day’s travelling. Maurice was lying on his back with hooves outstretched in every direction, enjoying the sun on his full belly. Shortly before their break, they had stumbled upon a rather large rabbit and had promptly taken up the opportunity to catch and roast it.

“You could literally just give me a push right about now and I would just roll down this hill all by myself,” Zeke sighed, patting his stomach with one hand as he sighed and let himself fall back into the grass. “We’re actually living quite well for travellers, don’t you think? But I find this to be rather boring, if I’m being honest. I thought so much more would happen! Then again, I guess there cannot be an amazing incident every single day. Plus,” he added, looking at the snoring unicorn, “we do have a rather odd pet by our sides.”

Over the past few days, Maurice had suddenly had a small jump in growth and had almost doubled from what he was before. The bald patch was still somewhat visible but was slowly being covered by something, but other patches had appeared in other spots too, much to their disgruntlement as the two men did not know what to do about this matter.

“At least, he still seems to enjoy hanging out with us,” Zeke grunted as he shifted positions to lie more comfortable, slightly confused at to what that was supposed to mean anyways, but he dismissed the inquisitive thought again quickly.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 9:53 pm

“I’m a magician, remember? That’s only one step up from a clown, and you can’t trust a clown with anything.” Rhys laughed, not feeling too humiliated for burning himself. He’d done dafter things before, so there was no reason to dwell on it.

The night passed joyfully – Rhys resumed his intermittent sipping from the pewter flask in his coat pocket and became quite relaxed by the time they fell asleep, the fiery liquor in the flask soothing his fear for the woods at night. The fact that the next few days passed peacefully was a pleasant surprise in itself, and by the time they found themselves reclining in the warm sun around a week later he found his anxiety had been lulled considerably, and he rarely felt the need to drown it in the emergency whiskey he had been sipping for the whole journey.

“Oh I know what you mean – I feel so round and warm right now.” Rhys smiled, patting his stomach, before wincing a little as he brushed against the painful scar across his side. It had never quite healed properly, and he’d had to have it re-stitched at least eight times since the original injury. Now it had scarred over properly at least, but it still hurt from time to time.

Rhys nodded as Zeke mentioned that they were living quite well. “Yes, we’re doing quite well for ourselves really.” He smirked, watching the clouds float past overhead. He broke into a grin at the idea of it being boring though – he could live quite happily without all the danger that Zeke called excitement, but he had to admit that he was growing to enjoy the adrenaline rush of the whole thing. “Give it another day or two – I’m sure we’ll find ourselves in the middle of some sort of trouble.” He chuckled, reaching one hand out to his side to ruffle Maurice’s fur. It had grown a little wirier than when he had hatched, and he was actually big enough to pat properly, but his numerous bald patches still worried Rhys. He didn’t know /what/ worried him about them, but they didn’t seem normal.

“He’s not going anywhere, that’s for certain – we give him food, remember?” he added. Maurice gave a chirp at the mention of food, even though they had just eaten, making Rhys laugh again. Maurice was charming in that aspect, and made what would otherwise have been just a really long walk very interesting.

“Speaking of rolling, did you ever have rolling races as a kid? I used to, with some of the other street-kids. We used to find a big hill, and start rolling down it. The first one to the bottom won.” He grinned, looking down the hill beside them. He had to turn his head quite a way to see, as it was on the same side as his eye patch (which was a fat, purple star that day), but the daisy-littered grass looked just the same as it did on every hill. It made him smile – those had probably been the happiest days of his life, the ones spend getting grass stains on his clothes.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 11:46 am

Zeke laughed at Rhys’ comment, almost wanting to offer the magician a bet on how long it would take them to end up in some sort of trouble again. As his companion had said, it would not take long and Zeke himself was fairly certain of this, too. Betting on it would be a little tacky however and even though Zeke liked the rush of it all, he was not willing to conjure doom upon themselves merely by challenging fate in such a silly manner. Challenging fate was obviously on Zeke’s regular menu, almost anyone who had ever had to do with him knew this by now, but he wanted it to be exciting and spontaneous.

“Yes, food does make for strong ties,” Zeke grinned as he looked at the pleased unicorn. Maurice looked like a happy dog the way he lay on his back with his paws stretched into the wind. “And he likes it even more than we do!” he added with a smile as the unicorn instantly replied to Rhys.

Focusing back on the magician – as far as that was possible when lying on one’s back – and the question he had asked, Zeke laughed at the memory. “I used to be quite quick but seeing that I was a light-weight even back then, I was generally flying everywhere instead of rolling straight down. It was so much fun though!”

Sighing, Zeke remembered a few more instances of these rolling races. And all of a sudden, he had an idea. “Who ever said you could only do that as a kid?” It was obvious where he was about to head with this and merely the notion of suggesting this idea had him all perky and grinning.
Forgotten was the fact that his stomach was overly full, as he sat up and looked at his companion with the huge purple star covering one eye. “How about we give it a go now? Lovely weather, lovely grass, interesting hill... Nothing to hold us back!”

Maurice let himself fall to his side at this and looked at Zeke as though he had gone completely insane but the young man waved off the look. “Don’t look at me like that, Maurice. You would enjoy it too, if you tried it.” It was funny, how he sometimes talked to the unicorn as though it was a human kid and not a young unicorn but seeing that the animal so obviously seemed to understand certain things they said, it appeared normal to him to do so. Although he generally merely got a snort as a response, just like now.

“So? What do you think?” Zeke beamed at Rhys.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 6:25 pm

“Well, you know what they say: the way to a rainbow-unicorn-thing’s heart it through his stomach.” Rhys grinned, before focusing on Zeke’s other comment. “Flying? Sounds fun. I was a light kid too, but that came more from the whole not eating enough thing. Seriously, I must have looked like I’d break if the wind was too strong.” He chuckled. It seemed odd to think that now – he had filled out, and had quite broad shoulders now, with some considerable muscle around his slender frame, despite the huge groove stretching down his side and over one kidney. Annoyingly, his muscles made the deep scar much more obvious, but he’d drown not to care.

Rhys didn’t say anything in answer to Zeke’s suggestion. Instead, he gave a mischievous grin, and tilted his head to one side, rolling onto his side. “I’ll race you then!” he laughed, rolling over and squeezing his eye shut. He could /feel/ Maurice looking at him in confusion, but he didn’t care. The grass tickled his cheek, and it took him hurtling back to his childhood.

Sadly, that wasn’t entirely/ a good thing. All his memories looked… three dimensional, which he wasn’t really used to any more. It gave him a bit of a headache for a start, but there was more. The feeling of being left behind when the other kids got taken home by heir parents… that still hurt. His eye snapped open as the crushing memory got too much, and he was promptly hit in the face with a daisy, making him sneeze. However, he was rolling quite quickly now, and the speed wiped his mind clear.

Maurice turned his head to watch him, practically shaking his head at Rhys, but didn’t move. He just nibbled at a daisy, before deciding for about the millionth time that, even though it was a pretty colour, it wasn’t good to eat. He snorted, watching, as if debating whether to ignore the silly men or to join in.

Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 9:08 am

Zeke didn’t need to get another reply than the one Rhys gave him by simply letting himself roll down the hill. It was the best reply as well! With a laugh, Zeke ignored the fullness of his stomach, who was probably going to start protesting against this violation soon and let himself fall back again, pushing himself off lightly, so he would easily begin rolling down the hill in pursuit of his friend.

The magician had mentioned that he too had been flying around a lot when he was little due to not eating much and Zeke found that both of them had still not quite lost that trait even though they were bigger and larger now than they had been then. The ride down the hill was bumpy and surprisingly itchy but it was a hell of a lot of fun! He had not had this kind of fun in over ten years and it was very nice to be propelled back into his childhood in such a manner.

Of course not all the memories going along with this were good ones but Zeke did his best ignoring the bad ones in favour of the good ones and for the most part, he succeeded. Hearing Rhys sneeze, he laughed and called out: “Better keep your mouth clo…” And he had not even finished the sentence when he rolled over a small bouquet of daisies, which of course went straight into his mouth. That’s what you get! Zeke scolded himself in good humour, trying not to choke laughing and trying to get the flowers out of his mouth at the same time.

The end of the hill seemed fairly far away but they were still at the end far too soon in Zeke’s opinion and he let himself lie flat on his stomach – who was of course, protesting very much against the torture it had just had to live through – and tried to spit out the rest of the flowers. His face was coloured a deep red from lack of breathing and from the exhilaration of the speed of this race. “Wow! That was so much fun! We should do that again some time!”

Maurice was still at the top of the hill, looking down at the two men, wondering what on earth it was that filled the brain of those two. They were behaving so very silly from time to time but the unicorn was also cocking his head to the side in serious contemplation of giving this a go himself. And all of a sudden, he did!
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 7:27 pm

Rhys cursed, laughing, as he rolled round to the side and had to turn around. He just caught sight of Maurice joining the race as he set off again, but waiting that moment put him behind Zeke. He cursed again, and practically threw himself down the hill, landing hard and rolling immediately. He practically roared trying to make himself go faster – a bit of a competitive streak managing to surface, but resorted to laughing pathetically as he gradually rolled to a halt, lying flat on his back with his legs still pointing up the hill untidily, red and panting.

It took him a while to get his breath back – he wasn’t nearly as fit as he had been last time he’d done that – but when he did he pushed himself up on his elbows, still laughing under his breath. He turned to Zeke, grinning despite the slightly painful tension across his side from the general exertion.

“That was more fun than I’ve had since I was ten.” He laughed, shaking his head. He looked up at Maurice, who was rolling in a jerky, angular manner a bit further up, and smiled broadly enough to make the crookedness of the jagged line down his cheek obvious. Last week, Rhys was probably pretending to be a grown, mature man. Now he had no such delusions.

“You’ve got something… something that looks like a bit of daisy on your face.” He added, smirking. He’d managed to avoid most of the plant life around them other than the grass, but apparently his friend hadn’t had such good luck. Rhys was almost sad he’d missed seeing what had happened.

Maurice finally tumbled in beside them, looking more than a little dazed and dizzy. He sneezed, scattering pollen as he did so, and crumpled into a tired pile between the two men. Rhys ruffled the tufty fur atop the unicorn’s head playfully, and lay back on his elbows again, looking up the hill they had just come down with a deep feeling of satisfaction.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 9:21 pm

Zeke lay in the grass, laughing through his still somewhat panting breaths, his head upside down and his eyes directed at the ever quicker rolling unicorn. Maurice came crashing down the hill in surprising speed for a four-legged and at some point, the young man was actually worried that the animal would simply crash into them. However, the unicorn rolled over a patch with some sort of thicker grass which somehow seemed to slow his descent and Maurice panting came to a halt just before his hooves would have hit the two men lying at the foot of the hill.

“Oh, do I?” Zeke fretted around on his face until he found the squashed flower and waved it off with an embarrassed laugh. “I kinda got into a fight with a few flowers on my way down. Apparently, this one didn’t want to let go.” He too gave Maurice a light pat as the unicorn lay panting with them.

After a while, and once they had all calmed their breathing and their excitement a little again, Zeke suggested they move on again. “The next hill is sure to pop up soon and we can have a rematch, eh? What do you think?” He looked at Rhys and then nudged Maurice, who surprisingly gave him a cheerful sort of whinny in response.

They quietly trudged through the meadows and occasional patches of trees for the rest of the day, enjoying the lovely weather. “We have been incredibly lucky with the weather so far!” Zeke said. “Last time, I was travelling, I had pouring rain almost the whole time. Luckily, it was fairly hot despite the wetness, otherwise it would have been very uncomfortable!”

However, the words had barely left the young man’s lips when a dark cloud began inconspicuously spreading over the sky. “Well, would you look at that,” Zeke grunted with an unhappy face. “I seem to have jinxed it.” The speed with which the obviously thunder-cloud was coming up on them was impressive and Zeke was quickly pressing Rhys that they get a move on to find a bit of shelter. Though, they were quite a bit away from the next patch of trees that could provide a sort of roof over their heads. “Let’s hope we make it!” But Zeke already knew that they – or more specifically he – were not going to have any such luck.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 8:02 pm

Rhys grinned, shaking his head with a burst of laughter. “Maybe lay off the daisies then – they don’t make such good opponents.” He chuckled, forcing himself into a sitting position. “And a rematch sounds like a fine idea – I’ll look forward to it. Next time I’ll try not to go sideways.”

He nodded at the suggestion to move, and picked himself up calmly, his breath firmly back in his lungs. Nothing had even fallen out of his pockets, which was a small miracle considering all the rubbish he had stuffed into them. One day he should sort it all out really, but it was all /useful/ at least. It kept him prepared for anything, which was always a bonus.

“I worked as a messenger and scribe once – it seemed that people always sent me out just as storms rolled in.” he laughed. It had been a damned long time since he’d ridden a horse now, but he used to be quite good with the creatures. Maybe not now, but three or four years ago. As the storm cloud rolled in however, he couldn’t help but laugh aloud. “Jinxed? That’s one way to put it!” he said, breaking into a run to reach the trees ahead. The cloud was moving fast – maybe a little too fast, but Rhys couldn’t really tell – and the trees weren’t getting closer fast enough. He felt one fat drop land on his face, and groaned under his breath. The last thing he needed was to get damp and have to travel like that.

The rain seemed to explode out of the cloud, raining down harder than anything Rhys had seen for some time. Had they just run into the rainy season? Possibly - that would be just his luck. He made it to the trees, but when he did, his coat was already damp and clinging to his shirt. Maurice looked a it like a drowned puppy too, and didn’t look too impressed. However, it was just rain – that was a relief. Or ar least, Rhys /thought/ it was just rain, but the deep growling coming from the thunderclouds a little way off didn’t do much to convince him.

Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 9:19 pm

“Oh, you worked as a messenger? That must have been cool!” Zeke exclaimed as he looked at the magician, his eyes gleaming. “Just imagining all the things you must have experienced, the places and the people you must have seen…” His gaze clouded over a little as he imagined all the possibilities for adventure such a job would bring with itself and he briefly wondered if he should not look into taking on such a job, were it required. “I can’t really ride a horse, I’ve only ever been on two in my whole life and that isn’t even worth mentioning as I was barely more than a toddler at the time.”

They were both quick but the rain was quicker. Merely a few steps before they hit the trees, the cloud opened its gates and a mahoosive waterfall of drops rained down on them unlike any rain Zeke had experienced in quite some time – and that was saying something what with the many days he had spent travelling in the wet. “Ah, this is so not fair,” the young man muttered as he finally dashed into the cover of the trees, wet from head to toe, though they had still been somewhat lucky despite being unlucky. They could have been completely drenched but that was not the case. This would be uncomfortable enough already anyways, dripping as they were.

“Poor Maurice looks like a drowned rat,” Zeke grinned, trying to look at the bright side of it all, namely the fact that the unicorn looked funny. This immediately earned him a loud bleak and an attempt on Maurice’s behalf to bite him in the leg but he quickly jumped out of the way before those small but rather strong teeth could connect.

When the first bolt of lightning illuminated the sky, Zeke jumped up. “Wow, that was bright!” The crack of thunder soon followed and it sounded as though a few gods were bowling a mere handsbreadth above their heads. “Let’s see if we can find a bit of shelter somewhere in these woods. Maybe our luck has not completely deserted us.” Beginning to trot onwards, Zeke turned to look at Maurice once more before his eyes stuck to Rhys’ cloak. “At least, we should try to find a spot where we can light a fire, somehow. Though I don’t know where we’re going to get some dry wood in this place, but we all need to dry up a bit.”

Overhead, lightning and thunder were taking turns in making either their eyes or their ears hurt, while the rain was still hammering down like a flash flood. At least, the canopy above them was keeping the worst of it at bay so they could walk in relative dryness for a bit.

Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 10:02 pm

“Well, it wasn’t bad – it was always really tempting to read the little scrolls I got sent with though.” Rhys grinned, shaking his head at the ridiculous but fond memory. “I used to be able to ride quite well, but I suppose I’ve probably lost the knack by now – it’s been a while.” He added, realizing that he hadn’t actually been on a horse since losing his eye. Maybe he should look into getting himself one, but horses weren’t cheap, and he barely scraped a living as it was. "I never appreciated it while I was actually working, but I must admit I miss the security of it all." he added, somewhat wistfully.

Rhys grinned a little as Zeke complained, but simply shrugged. “It could be worse – we only just caught it, so we’ll dry as we walk.” He said brightly. Rhys didn’t mind the rain overly, and although traveling damp was never good, his coat seemed to have caught most of the water, meaning he could dry it out overnight. He just hoped none of the stuff in the pockets was too damp – that could really mess up some of his tricks.

Rhys jumped as the lightning flashed, giving a small involuntary squeak of shock. “Yeah, you got that right,” He laughed as the thunder rumbled past, “and shelter sounds like a fine idea. The trees get a bit denser over that way by the looks of things, so we might be in luck.” He picked up his pace, letting Maurice huddle by his legs, in the extra shelter of his oversized coat.

“Well, I’ve probably got some sort of lamp oil in here somewhere,” Rhys commented on the topic of fire, indicating one of his many coat pockets, “so we might get a fire going using that. We’d better hurry though – as you said, the wood around here isn’t getting any drier.” The thunder and lightning were ferocious, but now that Rhys had gotten over most of his mistrust of the outdoors he was jumping less and less whenever the sky light up.

Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 1:31 pm

“Hmm lamp oil might indeed come in handy,” Zeke replied as Rhys contemplated the contents of his coat with the apparently never-ending resources. “Are you sure your coat isn’t magical or something? You seem to have a piece of literally everything in there!”
Not that he was complaining of course, a coat with a million pockets was a handy thing to have and maybe even better than carrying around a small pouch in which everything constantly seemed to get lost.

Maurice did not leave Rhys’ side, snorting whenever a larger rain drop caught his snout but he didn’t make a sound otherwise, not even the smallest whinny of complaint. Seemed as though the unicorn was turning out to be rather docile after all its initial biting – at least with regards to Zeke.

With a sideways glance at his travelling companion, Zeke commented: “Seems like you’re getting used to all this being outdoor again!” He couldn’t imagine himself not being outdoors for most of the day, especially since he had been travelling for what seemed like ages now. Of course, that did not prevent him from stumbling over his feet at a regular interval or over the roots that were more and more overgrowing the small path they were following.

“Sometimes Ithink forests have it out for me,” he mumbled as he once again had to catch himself from falling over completely. Grabbing onto the next best tree trunk to regain his balance, Zeke froze as suddenly he felt a pulse underneath his hands as though there was something living rather than just the bark of a tree. That was odd, and it did not stop either, so he was fairly sure this was not just an illusion.
“Uhm… Rhys? You should come fe-“
The rest of the sentence drowned in an outcry of the young man as he suddenly felt himself being swept off his feet by a tree branch and thrown high up into the air without warning.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Rhys laughed, smiling lopsidedly. “Not magic, just full. You never know when a bit of fire will come in handy. I used to have a list of everything in here actually, but I forgot which pocket it went in…” he shrugged, trying to count the pockets he actually had. One in each sleeve, six on the outside (two sewn on himself when he ran out of room a while ago), and five – no, six inside. Well, he didn’t have enough fingers to count that, so he gave up.

He almost laughed again as Maurice snuggled a little closer to his legs for warmth. However, his usual uneven grin only grew as Zeke pointed out that he hadn’t freaked out for the last few days. “I guess I am – there’s a surprise.” He smirked, relaxing a little more than he already had. However, he couldn’t help laughing as Zeke tripped.

“Yes, I’m certain that root had a cunning plan.” He laughed, ducking down to pick up Maurice as Zeke leant against the tree. Another clump of fur fell out, revealing another patch of unnervingly cold skin, but they were getting used to that by now. He was just tucking the unicorn (who was getting to be a pretty big armful by then) into his coat when he heard Zeke shout.

“Zeke? What’s the matter? Where are you anyway?” he asked, looking around, before spotting the branch that had taken him off his feet. “Ah hell.” He cussed, swearing as a smaller branch swung past his feet. He jumped backwards, falling against another tree, before finding a new branch hurtling down towards his head.

Dropping Maurice, he grabbed the branch and locked his fingers over the top, letting it pull him off his feet, figuring he was safer actually attached to the nearest threat than underneath it. “Zeke, Two questions: what the hell is going on, and what do we do?” he asked, with one eyebrow raised, his feet still about three inches off the ground.

Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 1:41 pm

As he was dangling in mid-air, upside down on his branch, with a bedazzled unicorn staring up at him and a trickster floating beside him, Zeke suddenly felt the urge to laugh. He fought the instinct at first but couldn’t help himself and after a lot of sweating and gulping to try to refrain, he burst out laughing as though this was all one fantastic joke.

Coughing as he ran out of air – which was fairly quickly seeing that he had a bit of trouble breathing and laughing while upside down – Zeke looked at Rhys who was holding on to his own branch for dear life.
“I really don’t know,” Zeke replied, “for the answer of both those questions.”

Assessing the situation a little, the young man wondered why all this had happened and why the trees had done what they did. “It seems as though they are alive,” he whispered to Rhys, but it was fairly loud anyways considering that they were not really that close to each other. “When I touched this tree –“ he pointed at the one whose branch he was hanging off of “- it felt as though it had a pulse, a heartbeat.”

Zeke tried to wriggle around a little but to no avail. The tree was intent on keeping him where he was, for the time being at least. With a grumpy glare at the tree, he said: “You know this isn’t going to make the situation any better.”
It wasn’t as though the tree could hear him anyway – could it? – so he turned back to Rhys, raising a questioning eyebrow. “You know, if you’re just holding on of your own free will, you might just as well try and dropping to the ground again? To see what happens? Can’t be any worse than it is now, right?”
He looked up at his own branch again, feeling all the blood rush to his head and bringing him precariously close to extreme dizziness, he turned his eyes back to the magician: “I don’t think I’m going to get down from here anytime soon, unless I’m cut down,” he said, sounding defeated. “Unless the tree deigns to let me down again.”
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 5:20 pm

Rhys rolled his eyes a little, but he too broke into a wide grin, chuckling just a little at how ridiculous the situation was. “That’s helpful, Zeke.” He commented, before shuffling a little further along the branch so he could hear Zeke a bit better. When he did hear, however, he just cursed under his breath. “Ah hell, that’s a pain. Explains all this though.” He said, indicating the branches with a nod of his head. At least they knew that they were just dealing with trees and not some weird magics beyond that though.

“I could, yes. However, I could also stay here where it can’t get me.” he said. As if to prove him wrong, another branch swatted at him, clipping his fingers and forcing him to let go with a yelp, dropping the few inches to the ground. He shook his hands with a wince, and looked up at Zeke. “Well, I’m down. What now?” he asked, looking around for any more flying branches. The trees seemed to have stilled for the time being, so he had a few moments to think.

“Maybe I should try getting higher into the tree? Maybe I can find a way to get you down.” He suggested, hoping that there would be some sort of storybook hidden weak spot to make the trees stop moving. However, he wasn’t entirely hopeful – it would probably be best for them to find a way to just run.

Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 7:33 pm

Laughing out loud, Zeke snorted: “I guess the tree just told you who the boss is.”
As funny as the situation might be though, it did not change the fact that he was hanging upside down and that he was slowly beginning to feel dizzy as all the blood was rushing to his head now. Never before had he heard of such an occurrence and here they were right in the middle of one without any clue whatsoever on how to resolve the situation.

“Well, I’m not really sure,” Zeke replied. “Maybe it would be an idea to get higher up, but how do you get higher up if the trees will hinder you at every step?” As if to prove the point, the tree, from which he was currently hanging, seemed to flatten its bark so as to not leave any room for climbing up anywhere. “That was... weird!” Zeke whispered, his eyes open wide in surprise.

“I think it wants to tell us something,” he then sighed, his tone sarcastic. “Rhys, do you have any idea whatsoever on how to communicate with trees?” He knew the question sounded absolutely absurd and he felt slightly embarrassed for even suggesting talking to a tree but maybe that would help? It seemed to understand what they were saying, thus why not give it a go? Maurice didn’t seem to be any help at all in the matter either. The unicorn had quite simply sat himself down onto the forest floor and was observing the scene as though it were a spectacle of some sort, created purely for his entertainment.

Deciding to give his own suggestion a go, he asked slightly louder: “May I enquire as to why you, my dear tree, are being mean to us?”
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 9:49 pm

“I guess it did,” Rhys grinned, shaking his head, “but you’re not exactly giving it the runaround either.” He meant the comment as a jest, and went about trying to find a way out of the tree’s reach almost straight away. However, when the tree seemed to flatten its bark, he just cursed to himself, wondering what on earth was going on. Right then it seemed like they had both been smoking something, but he was pretty sure that all this was actually happening.

“This forest is crazy – you sure we haven’t walking into a story book?” Rhys asked, before ducking as a thin branch swiped at his head. It seemed like the tree was playing with them – that blow was obviously never intended to hurt him. It was embarrassing, being played around with by a tree. At Zeke’s question, Rhys laughed, “Erm, none I’m afraid, but I guess shouting might work? Seems to work with most people anyway, so why not psychotic shrubs?” He was aware the trees weren’t bothering Maurice, and decided to investigate that too once they figured out a way to deal with the current situation, but otherwise ignored the unicorn. He wasn’t the most pressing concern right then.

“Yeah, what’s the big idea?” he shouted, adding to Zeke’s question. He had little hope that it would work, but as his less polite comment echoed a little around the eerie forest, a branch swept his feet from under him, as if to tell him off for being rude. “ALRIGHT sorry then – didn’t mean to be rude.” He said sullenly, picking himself up. Well, maybe the tree could hear them, but it wasn’t being cooperative. Maybe if they could find a bit of leverage… something the tree wanted from them.

Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 12:38 pm

Zeke considered Rhys’ story book theory for a moment and in all honesty, with everything that had happened to them over the last few days, he would not be surprised if that theory in fact turned out to be spot on.
When the trickster joined in when he asked the trees straightforwardly what their problem was, he was secretly glad that Rhys did so. The moment the words had left his lips, he had felt somewhat silly for speaking to a tree of all things. Weren’t those usually signs for people starting to lose their minds?

When the branch all of a sudden forced Rhys into a horizontal position, Zeke couldn’t refrain from laughing however. “I guess manners are most definitely required for this.” However, seeing that there was no other response from the trees other than the swish to make them realise that rudeness was not to be had, Zeke began to contemplate this a little further.

“So if the tree punishes you for being rude, and we are basically almost attacked from the moment we stepped foot onto this path...,” Zeke screwed up his face in concentration – which was partially due to the thinking process and partially due to the fact that he was beginning to feel a black haze of dizziness gaining the upper hand – before he continued: “Then that must mean we have done something wrong and maybe even terribly rude without realising it? But what? I mean, all we’ve done is walk through a forest! And... well... in my case, stumble over a few roots because I just am that clumsy sometimes.”
The young man was a bit at a loss and he really didn’t know what else they could have done to deserve such treatment, if having done something rude without realising it even was why they, or him rather, were in such a predicament.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 9:11 pm

“Maybe there’s something special about the path? With all this,” he gestured to the moving trees, “I’d be tempted to say cursed, but there might be something we’ve missed about the actual forest floor. I mean, it’s not so terribly rude to trip over someone’s feet, which I guess is the same as a tree root, but…” he tailed off. He kind of understood Zeke’s point, but he had no idea how to string his words together. He was already tiptoeing around the sentimental trees to avoid getting knocked over again, and that made it hard to think.

“If you’re still listening up there, you could help!” He shouted angrily at the trees above him. “What’s so precious here that we can’t stand on it? Is the floor made of treasure of something?” He was feeling a bit wound up, and got a flick in the arm from a small branch for snapping at the trees, but they didn’t look like they would help. Great.

Well, they weren’t getting anywhere with Zeke hanging upside down, so Rhys decided to make a move to try freeing him. He scrambled unceremoniously onto a wide bough behind him, and winced as he scraped off a tiny bit of bark, but made his way quickly along the branch before the tree could attack him. He was hoping Zeke might have some idea for a way he could help once he was up there, but if all else failed he could just improvise.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)   Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen) - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mystery and Mayhem (Stormkatz vs Eldarwen)
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next