Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A Quest for Knowledge

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

A Quest for Knowledge Empty
PostSubject: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 12:06 pm

When Opesius said he wanted his library built into Shayenne Cliffs, they called him mad! Now who is laughing? Practically a monument to knowledge and the pursuit of truth, his lofty library is a place that many come to visit. With the assistance of architects and dragons he had hewn his work place and home. It is just a short path downwards from the edge of the cliff and in through the obsidian doors; the portal to his library. He is particularly proud of those obsidian doors. They were a gift from a Volcanic Longhorn who graciously allowed Opesius to study it. The doors bear a Draconic and Rider motif as well as the inscription, "Ignorance has a snowball's chance in Hell in this place." It makes him smile every time he sees it. Beyond the doors is the foyer, where the front desk and its attendants work. Nobody ever calls Opesius "Head Librarian", it is always "Doctor Opesius". The size of the place caters both to form and function; he enjoys it whenever a dragon comes to see him. Those honored guests may not be able to browse the several tightly packed and numerous shelves if they have grown too large, but they can still trek down the Draconic Hall (named for the grand statues of dragons along either side) toward Opesius's study. That room is where he is now, staring out of the large, slightly tinted window along the cliff face at the rising sun. He meditates, reflecting on the journey ahead. There are numerous dragons that he has met, studied, cataloged, befriended, loved, mourned for. Now, he plans to find the elusive Ebony Hunter. He had packed the previous day. With the early sunlight fighting its way through the smoky glass, he gets his things together and leaves the study. Through the Draconic Hall he gazes briefly at each statue, thinking back to the dragons of those varieties he has met. Waving farewell to his attendants, he exits the obsidian doors. Doctor Opesius begins his journey.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

Female Loveliness : 68

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 2:11 pm

From where she was currently standing, Siofra had a very good view at the impressive entrance to the library in the Shayenne cliffs. It was always an impressive sight, no matter how many times she had stared at those obsidian doors with the large inscription above them. However, she had never entered it yet, she had never had the time to confine to studies, at least not since she had been a relatively young girl.

At this moment, she merely took a breather before heading off on her journey again, tracking an elusive magpie dragon who had stolen a rather previous gem from one of the council members’ wives. The woman had been in tears as she had called upon Siofra to ask the half-elf if she could get back the gem as it had been a gift from her husband for their tenth wedding anniversary and she wanted it back, no matter what the cost.

Siofra had readily agreed to take on the job, not only because it was easy money, but because it was a job she could fulfill with a clear conscience. It was not another of those “he stole something of mine, track him and kill him” offers she had had so many of recently, most of which she had declined anyways.

The magpie dragon in question however was better at hiding its tracks than she had thought and she had been chasing it almost through half of Didienne before she had finally found a fresh trail in these parts, namely a trader who had been asked by a black dragon if he had any shinies he could buy. It had been Siofra’s luck that the trader had been quite a talker and gotten a bit of information out of the dragon before sending it off on its way again.

Sighing and shaking her head, Siofra checked her black headband and cloak were still in place, before she decided that her break was over and began to head onwards into the vague direction the trader had given her for the magpie’s resting place, which apparently was hidden somewhere along the cliff on the other side of the library.

The path down to the library was quickly passed and Siofra was standing outside of the library now, forcing herself not to pay attention to the beautiful handiwork as she let her eyes roam the cliffs beyond the library. Just as she was about to quite simply continue venturing on the same path which had brought her down to the library, the huge doors opened and out came a rather fragile looking, bald-headed man.

“Good day, Sir,” she greeted him, out of politeness.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 6:16 pm

"Hrm?" Opesius paused to look at the woman before him. Her outfit suggested to him that she was not looking for a relaxing time with a book, but the doctor had met many adventurers in his time and found that if there is a book he can not offer to them they appreciate vital information. And if he is fortunate there may be information for him. Adventurers, from the lumbering brute to the nimble spy, usually know something he doesn't.
"Good morning. Are you here to visit my library?" He gestured to the obsidian doors and smiled, "I do not recognize your face, and I remember every visitor be they man, woman or Dragon."
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 10:10 pm

Siofra almost smiled at the distraught look on the man's face. He had obviously not thought someone would be awaiting him on the other side of these doors, although she wasn't quite waiting for him of course. Rather, she was waiting for her hunting instincts to kick in and tell her that she was actually on the right track with regards to the magpie dragon. It could wait a few moments longer however. If she did find its resting place, then she could just camp in the worst case and wait for it to turn up at some point. Magpies didn't like to leave their treasure unattended for too long.

At his question, she did give in to the smile that had been tugging at her lips. "I would love to visit your library, and I have thought about it so many times - whenever I have been in these parts on my travels to be honest - but I have never quite had the time to step in. Alas, I don't have the time now either, but if I do have it on my way back, I would gladly spend a few hours or days even rummaging through that massive collection you have in there." Even if she had never been inside herself, she had heard about the fantastic books these walls held and the more she talked about it now, the more it was itching in her fingers to strum those pages and indulge in a bit of research and pleasurable reading.

It was only after a moment's consideration when she realised he had said his library. "Are you the owner of this beautiful place?" she asked, letting her eyes roam over the obsidian jewels behind the man. Siofra wasn't generally one to judge by looks even if she was quick in determining quite a few things about people by just looking at them briefly - it came with the job, she simply had to be quick at analysing the tiniest details in the briefest of moments sometimes if she wanted to survive - but she had a hard time not being surprised by the accomplishments of this almost far too normal looking person. It was obvious that there was far more to this man than his appearance led to believe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:11 pm

"I am indeed Doctor Opesius, the owner of this library. It took several years and helping hands to do it, but for the past few years the completed product makes me swell with pride!" He briefly remembers when this spot was just a niche in the cliff face. The architects and Dragons worked so well together to make his dream come true. Their combined talents ensured that the Library could exist for a long time. The architects knew how to make a sturdy structure as it is, but the dragons fire had hardened the walls and columns so that erosion was only a far off nightmare for the rock. Took a while to air out the smoke, though.
"What are you on your way to do, if you do not mind me inquiring? If you have not walked down this path to see the Library, what are you here for?" There was not much else along the cliffs to do. The only things beyond the library were the occasional nest and cave.
Back to top Go down
Artemis
Artemis

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • SR Salamander
  • DDC Dingo
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Troll Fanatic
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

Female Loveliness : 73

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:29 pm

Travelling became so monotonous after a while. Jaden's paced trot was uninterrupted by anything interesting, the obvious lack of others in the area backed up by the constant feed of information which flowed through the dragon's mind. He was still perfecting the art of keeping an eye on everything while doing other things, but he was sure that he would get it just right in the end. And even now, it was only occasionally that he would lose his focus and drift off with the train of future events. Once, he had caught himself tweaking away a nasty confrontation in the nearby town of Shayenne... But that had been an exception. The people involved in that fight had been very loud thinkers, which always led to a clearer future for the dragon to see.

Now, he was on a mission to get to the library. It was one of the largest he knew of, and contained the right sorts of books for what he was looking for. He was confident that it would have something which could help him; and, of course, the librarian himself was a hoard of knowledge and happy to help. Recent events had aroused his suspicions that there might be a third card dragon around; and if there was, then it was certainly something he'd like to know about. And knowledge of the third dragon could lead to finding a fourth- or, of course, simply lead to a fourth. With his breed being so rare, and him the eldest of them all, Jaden was still not entirely sure how new cards came to be. It was another question which he hoped to find an answer to in the library. It was only a recent decision to devote more of his time to researching his breed, one which had come with admitting to himself that he probably wouldn't be able to wield every aspect of his magic perfectly without any guidance. Now that he had decided on this project, however, he was determined to make it yield the answers he was after.

Distracted as he was by his musings on the topic, it took him a few moments to notice that he had almost reached the library. Stepping up his pace a little, he examined the two people standing outside it. Opesius was one of them; where could he be going? The dragon came gradually to a halt by the two bipeds, giving them each a nod of greeting.
'I trust you're both well? May I introduce myself? My name is Jaden.' He didn't bother waiting for responses to his questions, looking at the female for his last words. 'Is the library being closed? I was hoping to look for some books... Though you yourself may be able to help me.' He now turned away from the woman, focusing only on the librarian while he actually wanted one of his inquiries to be answered.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:58 pm

"No, Jaden. The library is not being closed. My attendants will be keeping an eye on the place. I was about to begin my journey to find a specific species of Dragon to study when I ran into this young lady here." Opesius held back his amazement at the specimen before him. A Card Dragon! He had half a mind to postpone his excursion and have a long discussion with this Jaden. Perhaps more than half a mind. He felt more comfortable when the Dragons would come to him, anyway.
"However, it appears prudent for me to spend some time here. Dragons are honored guests at my Library, and I would be so honored to help you personally in whatever way I can. And, if at all possible, for you to help me."
Opesius turned to the young woman, "I will leave you to your business, lass, whatever it may be. Good luck, and feel free to stop by when you have finished whatever quest you are on. Maybe you will even catch me as I begin my journey again."
He happily gestures to the Dragon to follow him, "Let us pursue some knowledge, Jaden."
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 2:19 pm

“I was ju…” Before Siofra could even reply to Doctor Opesius – it was quite an honour to meet this rather well known man – when they were suddenly interrupted by the appearance of a card dragon. A rare sight, at least for the half-elf who did not often come across one of the cards, and it made Siofra raise her eyebrow in astonishment.

“Siofra,” the woman replied as the card dragon introduced himself. They were very rare indeed and Siofra had never seen one this close before. It was an intriguing event as she hadn’t thought about ever bumping into one. How long had it been since she had abandoned any kind of studies on dragons she had begun in favour of more active and physical research, namely hunting down anything or anyone who was lost.

It was obvious that Opesius was even more taken with this new appearance than she was. The man practically lived for dragons, that much she had heard about him and the purpose of his journey told her that as well.
However, she was a bit taken aback for a moment when all of a sudden, she was quickly waved off as the librarian turned back towards the library, which he had stepped out of barely a few heartbeats earlier, in order to help the dragon in his research.
“Alright, happy research!” she replied, trying not to frown at this and telling herself that it was not rude but that anyone would have done the same in Opesius’ stead if they had the chance to come upon a rare specimen of a creature they were studying. Which was actually true.

Shaking her head with a grin, she waved at the two with a “I’ll step into the library on my way back!” before she continued down the path leading away from the library. She was fairly certain that those two would be at it for quite a while once they got started and she herself was planning on soon being done with her current mission! That damn magpie dragon would hopefully soon appear so she could get this forsaken gem and get back to other things.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 5:52 am

Opesius briefly reflected on his guilt for not waiting to hear what Siofra was traversing the Sheyenne Cliffs for. He made a mental note to wait some time for her visit and hear about it anyway to make up for it. Until then, he opened the obsidian doors and welcomed Jaden inside.
"I commend you for your timing, Jaden. If you had not ran into me then I would have probably been a hard man to find. I have no idea where I am going, you see. That may sound strange to you but I merely mean that I do not know where to find a specific species of dragon. The variety that has caught my eye is the Ebony Hunter. I know very little about them because, alas, the only people who are familiar with them are their victims!" Opesius smiled at his little joke, "I must stop myself from rambling. What brings you here to my library?"
Back to top Go down
Artemis
Artemis

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • SR Salamander
  • DDC Dingo
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Troll Fanatic
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 3:09 pm

Opesius had been planning on going out? Jaden frowned, saying hurriedly, 'Don't feel any obligation to change your plans because of me, really...' However, the man seemed quite insistent, and he didn't bother arguing. The research which he was doing was, after all, of great importance.
'It would be very nice to see you again, Siofra, I hope you can come by later.' He felt slightly guilty at apparently disrupting everyone's plans, and possibly offending this woman- though it was hard to be sure, humans were so inexpressive without tails or proper ears or horns or anything- but then, how was it his fault if people wanted to drop everything to help him? Perhaps it was only his right; card dragons were, after all, woven into the very fabric of the world. That much he knew, despite the lack of information on his kind.

Now it seemed that he might finally find something about card dragons.
'I'm sorry to have pulled you away from your studies. Perhaps once I'm done here, I can help you find an Ebony Hunter. I don't know a huge amount about them, but I understand that they're more than a little elusive. Now... I've decided to try looking for records or information on card dragons. I fear that much knowledge of our magic has become lost over time. It has been many years since four card dragons have walked on Dragons Cove. I had only one card parent, and I know that Rokam was born of two non-cards.'
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 4:23 pm

Opesius thought back to his studies on dragon reproduction, "It is not specifically who your parents are that are important in determining the type of dragon that one of your kind becomes. It plays just as vital a role as any other creature, but dragons have an exception to genetics. As far as I can tell, most of what contributes to the dragon that you are has something to do with the color of your egg. I have never seen an Acid Dragon born from a green egg and never will I see any Ice Dragon born from anything other than a blue egg!"
He began to lead Jaden through the Draconic Hall to his study, "The books in here should prove to be more useful. Scientific papers and works in progress by myself and colleagues, books from the library I checked out myself. Surely there is some information about your kind in there."
The doctor turned his head to look at Jaden, "What suit is Rokam?"
Back to top Go down
Artemis
Artemis

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • SR Salamander
  • DDC Dingo
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Troll Fanatic
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 6:34 pm

"Oh, really?" Jaden frowned, thinking back through the dragon families he knew of. "I never realised that breeds other than cards could come of parents not of their own breed. How interesting." It was- but at the moment, he was more interested in his own research.

He looked about with interest as Opesius led him through the library, his eyes scanning the hundreds of shelves and reading the labels on them. Drifting off sideways, he sidled alongside one of the bookcases for a while, looking at the titles of the many works neatly arranged there. "It does look like there should be something helpful here... Rokam is the club. I haven't come across the heart or diamond, but I suspect that one of them exists. Now... where do you recommend we start. I don't know how this area is categorised." Lazily, he let his eyes wander across the shelf, pausing when he reached a title which looked as if it could be useful.
"The ancient breeds of Dragons Cove," he read out loud. "Let's see.." He pawed it from the shelf and, with some difficulty, opened it to the index, which he bent over and examined for a mention of card dragons.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 4:00 pm

"In your own words, Jaden..." Opesius began to furiously scan shelves to refresh his memory as to the location of tomes he had long since placed in his study, "... what would you say a Card Dragon's abilities are? And-do not worry, I will take care of locating books and papers for you. The library's decimal system is inefficient in this room."
He looked over at Jaden, noticing the book he had picked out. "That would be a good place to start. I never knew the author, she was before my time. A primary source if there ever was one. She never titled the book, or published it for that matter. I just happened to find the final draft." Opesius noticed his vision began to be obscured by the books he picked up, and set them down on a table to look for more.
"I inquire as to what your powers are so that I can read through some of the news that the Scroll Dragons and carrier pigeons give me from time to time. If there is an active Card Dragon and it has used these powers someone will know, and that will make locating it far easier. Somewhere in this world, it has left a trail of... well, something."
Back to top Go down
Artemis
Artemis

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • SR Salamander
  • DDC Dingo
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Troll Fanatic
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 6:29 pm

“Our powers?” echoed Jaden ponderously. “Hm, well… We can all predict and twist fate. The power of that is limited when we’re alone, but when we work together it’s amplified massively- though I very much doubt that both the heart and diamond exist and are working together. The fate powers are our only magic, but of course it’s such a powerful one that we’re among the most magical breeds on Dragons Cove.” Nodding smugly, he turned his attention back down to the book which was open before him, a small heading in the index catching his eye. “ I wonder why she never published it… it seems like it would be a worthy addition to libraries in general. Certainly a piece of luck that you were the one to pick it up. It must have been fate.” Allowing himself a brief smile at his own pun, he began leafing through the pages to find the one he wanted. With some difficulty, he got it open at the right place, and began to read the information, frowning slightly. “I would much appreciate it if you did find any hints as to where there might be another card… I’m keen to locate her as soon as is possible, if she does exist. Now, this isn’t quite what I’m looking for, but it’s a start. Interesting to read about their roles in past society, and it’s good that there’s some information on them. I suppose most people wouldn’t know about the intricacies of their powers… Thank you for your help finding books, it’s really your expertise I need. I think maybe what I’m after is a direction to somewhere the cards might have recorded their knowledge… Being so unstable with our population, I’m sure they wouldn’t have left it to be passed along mouth to mouth. Where is the question.” His latest speech ended, at least for the moment, he padded over to the table and examined the books which Opesius had gathered.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 9:43 pm

"Places exist. Long lost places that may not even be on Dragon's Cove anymore." Opesius began to think about a Card Dragons powers. He fancied the thought that Card Dragons do not twist fate but take the credit for affecting chance. After all, how can one disprove twisting the outcome of something? Then he had an idea.
The doctor put down the most recent stack of books and began to rummage frantically around the study. "Jaden, can you do something for me?" He found it! A six sided die. "I want to test something, can you make this dice roll turn out to be the same side repeatedly?" He started shaking the die in his hand. "Forgive me, but I am a man of science. As much as I involve myself with the magical powers of Dragons and the like, I must prove that it is indeed magic."
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 11:19 am

While Opesius and the card dragon ventured into the library in order to discuss Rokam’s question, Siofra continued down the path along the cliffs into which the librarian’s impressive domain had been hewn. She was certain that she would soon stumble across that cursed magpie dragon, and she dearly hoped so as well, as she was starting to be rather tired of following the beast around, all the while unable to get her hands onto the gem.

She didn’t much care for the dragon itself; all she wanted was to complete her mission. Thus, she hoped that she would quite simply find its den, find the gem and then get back out again without even encountering the dragon and having to fight it. She wasn’t particularly fond of wrestling with dragons and she was not keen on shooting them either. Of course, what had to be done had to be done but she tried to avoid it whenever possible. It was unnecessary bloodshed.

To her luck, she could indeed soon spy a few holes in the cliff-wall which could be openings into caves, small and large. Hopefully one of them would be the magpie dragon’s lair. Picking up speed, the half-elf trotted along the path, carefully keeping an eye out for any possible enemies. Magpie dragons could be rather aggressive if there was something particularly valuable in their nest that they wanted to keep away from others.

As soon as she approached the first hole, Siofra slowed down again, taking bow and arrow into her hands to be prepared. However, it turned out to merely be a small carving into the cliffs, too small to serve as anything more than a very temporary shelter.
The next hole however smelled of dragon and opened into a large cavern, most of which disappear behind a sort of bend in the wall. This, Siofra was going to explore in hopes of achieving her goal.
Back to top Go down
Artemis
Artemis

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • SR Salamander
  • DDC Dingo
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Troll Fanatic
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 8:32 pm

"Mm, of course," mused Jaden. "It's entirely possible that there are records outside of Dragons Cove... Even if the island was destroyed, card dragons would come back." A slight smile twisted his features as he nudged a book out of the stack and once again began the struggle to open it. He had finally managed to flip back the cover when he was pulled away from what promised to be an interesting introduction by the librarian. The request surprised him somewhat- surely with all his knowledge, the man knew that this was a simple thing for a card dragon to accomplish?- but he was willing enough to oblige. He always enjoyed showing off his powers, and practice never hurt. "Well, if it's not magic then I certainly don't know what it is," he remarked, padding around the table to stand next to Opesius. Here, he sat back on his haunches and then, closing his eyes, rested his front feet lightly on the edge of the table.

"Ah yes, you're almost certainly going to throw that die... Let's see, then..." The dragon's eyes lapsed shut as he concentrated on the magic, rootling around in his brain for the right probability before nodding in satisfaction. "Go ahead and roll then, it should be a three."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 9:04 pm

Opesius rolled the die, it skipped across the table and when it stopped he found it had landed with the three side up. "What I wouldn't give for some loaded dice right now. That would indeed prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that a Card Dragon's magic indeed affects fate." He picked it up and rolled it again to double check. "Interesting coincidence that the mark of your type is the same as our playing cards. Is it possible that dragons introduced gambling to humans?" He chuckled at this, and threw the die again. "It is your type of dragon, Jaden, that is playing with loaded dice. Cards up your sleeve... Your powers are dangerous. That is why you search for the other ones?" He threw the die, his tone entering a realm of seriousness little explored by the doctor. "Is the effect amplified when you are in close proximity to each other?" The die was rolled again. "If there are any Gods, do you feel that they allow you to exist because your type of dragon is suited for these powers? Or do they simply fear that you have power over them?"
Opesius began to roll the die again and paused, looking at his shelves and his expression became less grave with the pursuit of knowledge. He set the die down, satisfied with his test. "Pardon me, I ask these sort of questions hypothetically. Perhaps philosophically."
Back to top Go down
Artemis
Artemis

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • SR Salamander
  • DDC Dingo
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Troll Fanatic
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 2:09 pm

Loaded dice, now there was an interesting thought. It wasn’t anything which Jaden had tried to combat with his powers before, and he wasn’t actually sure how well it would work.
“There’d have to be some possibility of them not landing loaded side up to start with,” he explained. “Something like that, we can see all the millions of possibilities if we take the time to look through them, though it would be somewhat overwhelming. If we then pick one and back up this shadow, this outline of an idea… strengthen it and bring it closer to a real image… then its chances of happening are increased. And with this die…” He tailed off to watch the die bounce over the table once again. “Well, it’s not hard to make it nigh on a certainty.” He left another pause before continuing in a slightly different, more clinical tone. “One thing which I can tell you about the history of card dragons is that yes, playing cards absolutely came from card dragons. Where the name of ‘card’ came from I can’t tell you, whether humans took the word from their name for us or if they named us after creating their playing cards, but one thing that’s for certain is that playing cards were derived from the symbols of the four different card dragons. The idea of testing fate as you’re doing now, of telling the future as is done with tarot cards in modern days…” He shrugged. “Some human was inspired to create cards based on us. I believe the earliest packs reflected us most strongly, with designs being strongly based on the rich blue and pale yellow colours of our markings.”

Jaden stopped to allow Opesius to make several more comments, watching the dice skitter across the table top and focusing on bringing them to a rest with the three facing upwards.
“I do believe it is my duty to ensure that no card dragon leaves the path of goodness and begins to use their powers for evil. However, there seems to be some integral sense of decency among us, for rarely has there been a truly evil card dragon recorded in history. But as well as this, I have interests in gathering the card dragons to use our powers where they would be beneficial. The more of us work together the more we can influence fate, yes… And even if our wishes are opposite, if we are in close proximity to each other then we cannot help but amplify each other’s powers. I would love to see what four card dragons together could do for the world, but it is a dangerous thing to try, given that the calamity caused seems unstoppable. If only we could find some way to control the magic then we could do great things. I have thought that perhaps a stone such as those made by the Archmage, except of fate rather than one of the simple magics, could do something to help this. It’s a dangerous thing to try though, hugely so, and there’s no guarantee of it helping. We may never know… But I feel that if I can organise a good archive of information for future generations of card dragons to draw upon and promote the path of learning, then one day my breed may accomplish great things. I hope that with the help of other card dragons, I could see if such a thing was possible.” His eyes were large and bright as he spoke, the words flowing steadily faster from his mouth. Taking a breather, he continued at a more controlled pace.

“No pardon is needed. I am glad to spread this knowledge to somebody such as yourself, and perhaps in explaining these things I will be able to gain a better viewpoint of them myself. As for your last inquiries… Well, while I don’t like to be immodest-“ here he sat up straighter and assumed a slightly smug expression- “if there is a god, then I believe that card dragons must be Their divine tools in this world. There is no other reason for Them to give us our powers. The visions we receive must be Their way of guiding us in how best to guide the world. Indeed, perhaps we are extensions of Them, embodiments of Their power over fate which They surely must possess. If there is no god, then I believe that there is simply a way of life, a flow of fate over the world which card dragons are nature’s way of maintaining and keeping good in this world. Whichever is true- and personally, I am inclined to believe that there is a divine being keeping this world- I will serve my purpose with all the devotion and effort that I can give, and will always look forwards to see which path will best preserve the way of the card dragons and the goodness in the world. I will follow that path.”

Ooc: Bah, I know never to consult him on philosophical matters! Sorry about the droning, he's never shown that side of himself before so I didn't really know how best to control him :/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 1:57 pm

"Yes, of course... Your kind affect chance. If there is no chance, there is no change."
Opesius imagined the fabric of the universe bending to the whims of four Card Dragons. "Such an amount of fate-altering power could change the outcome of a terribly outmatched battle. Maybe even more than that."
"That is good, Jaden. I am glad that you would not use your powers in an irresponsible way. Dragons are easily some of the most intelligent creatures I have met, I attribute that to your natural longevity. If you do not mind me asking, how old are you?" Opesius put the die away. He took out a notebook, "How long do Card Dragons live? I apologize if you are uncomfortable with me asking such questions such as 'Do you have a breath weapon?' but I merely do so out of curiosity and the pursuit of knowledge. I mean no disrespect." The pencil in his hand waited against the sheet of paper the notebook was open to. There were many questions he had to ask in his time with Jaden. He did not know how much time he had to ask these sort of questions. Dragons do tend to go wherever whenever they please.

Ooc: Oh man. A month to reply? I feel so dirty.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 2:41 pm

The hole turned out to indeed be the den of a dragon, the strong smell suddenly slapping into her face as soon as she turned away from the opening of fresh air, telling her as much. The cave seemed empty however. Not a sound penetrated the small path leading up to the larger cavern situated further back. It was strangely illuminated, which lead the half-elf to believe that there was another opening into this habitat somewhere, probably at the top of the cliff, letting the sunshine find its way inside.

Siofra carefully moved forwards, trying not to make any sudden movements or sounds, just in case her hearing might for a change be playing tricks on her. Nothing jumped out at her however and thus, she soon stood inside the cavern, which seemed to be a dragon’s hideout, and sure enough, this was a magpie dragon lair. Hundreds of shimmering and glittering objects were lining the walls and lying spread out on the floor, giving off part of the odd light as the rays were broken on their surfaces and projected in all directions.

It did not take the half-elf long to spot the gem she was looking for and she swiftly made her way towards it, only to quickly be on her way again. She had wanted to have words with the dragon for having stolen it in the first place, but seeing that the dragon was not around, it might be just as well. She had what she had come for, which was all that mattered now.

Shortly after she had emerged from the cave, the half-elf stopped in her tracks, wondering about something else she had seen. Without thinking about it twice, she turned on her heel and ventured back into the den, picked up what she had caught her attention, with the intention of asking the librarian about it, should he still be in the library. If not, she would leave it there to see for his return with a note on where to put it back.

Once again, Siofra headed out of the cave and this time, she did not turn back anymore but went up along the cliff until she reached the library once more. Remaining outside in the fresh air for a while longer to catch her breath after the hike, she finally pushed open the impressive doors and stepped into the dim light of the library.
Back to top Go down
Artemis
Artemis

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • SR Salamander
  • DDC Dingo
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Troll Fanatic
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 9:44 am

“Exactly so,” Jaden agreed with an approving nod. “You are, of course, correct… Our powers have huge sway over the fates of the universe. One can only imagine how they were utilised in past times, perhaps with all four card dragons working to help a monarch or such… Of course, there has only been peace on Dragons Cove ever since humans and other species joined us here, thousands of years ago. A peace I am most thankful for.”

When Opesius posed his next question, however, the slightly pleased expression faded from Jaden’s face to be replaced by one of slight weariness.
“We live a lifespan similar to that of a human. Most would live about sixty years, those lucky with their health could reach eighty or thereabouts. Card dragons, however…” With a slight flick of his horns and a noncommittal shrug, he continued, “I believe that the constant exposure to the world matures us, mentally at least, much faster than most. As well as this, most dragons are adept at communicating with thoughts, being innately magical creatures, and so perhaps we can pick up more knowledge from edging on the minds of our elders.” He paused briefly, considering his words, before remembering the last question. “Oh, and we have no breath weapon. Our magic is purely-“

Jaden was unable to finish; in the middle of his sentence, the colossal doors creaked open and he could hear footsteps treading into the main hall of the library. Dropping his feet from the edge of the table, he trod out into the huge space and peered down at where Siofra had just entered.
“My good lady, what a pleasure to meet you again,” he called to her, nodding graciously.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 4:03 pm

"Excuse my cynicism, but I am never truly convinced there is true peace." He noted Jaden's change in expression. After some scribbling, his focus broke when his doors opened. Opesius threaded his pencil through the spine of the pad and set it on the table. He called out to the visitor after Jaden, "The main entrance to my study is through the Draconic Hall, but you'll find another closer to the reception area more suited for beings as large as you or me."

The doctor began to put some scattered papers away, tidying up out of respect for the woman about to enter. "That must be Siofria, unless it's another good lady of yours." His eyes scanned the room for his travel packs, and he made a mental note of where he had left them. "I hope she doesn't find this space to be too indulgent. It truly is to accommodate for my larger guests." If he had hair, it is likely he would fuss with it briefly. If Jaden gave him a look he would ignore it. Doctor Opesius knows the importance of looking good.
Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 6:55 am

The greeting almost instantly echoed through the library as soon as the half-elf stepped through the huge doors. When she looked around towards where the voice had sounded, she saw a card dragon’s head pop around a corner and she gave a small wave in return. “I wasn’t sure if you were still here. You seem to have immersed yourself fully into your studies then to so have lost track of time.”

Who did not know this little knack libraries had for being all time consuming without anyone ever noticing that it’s happening? Striding towards where Jaden had popped up, and where the librarian was now visible as well, Siofra let her eyes roam over the shelves upon shelves of books which made up this part of the library. There were desks in regular intervals for extended studies and in all, even though it was impressively huge, it seemed to be a rather homely place.

“You have done well with the interior. It looks comfortable, in an odd way.” She looked over the two, wondering if she had interrupted the two of them in the middle of an important conversation. “I’m sorry if I have interrupted you. Please, continue, though I am not sure I can be of any help. If not, I’ll just have a look around if you don’t mind.”
Back to top Go down
Artemis
Artemis

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • SR Salamander
  • DDC Dingo
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Troll Fanatic
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 1:08 pm

Maybe Opesius was cynical, but after everything Jaden had seen he was inclined to agree, at least to an extent, and so gave a short nod.

He hadn’t realised how long he’d spent in discussion with Opesius already, but a quick glance at a large and ornate timepiece on the far side of the room informed him that they had indeed been there a while.
“I suppose so. Doctor Opesius seems nearly as interested in my breed as I myself am, and we must have simply lost track of time. Do come through, perhaps you’ll be interested or you might shed some light on queries which the two of us are unable to answer.” With another nod, he turned and walked back into the room. “Siofra, yes. I wouldn’t say it’s too indulgent, you certainly manage to fill it with books and other little trinkets.” He had no idea what was in the study; maybe some of it was very useful or very valuable, but that didn’t stop it from being a trinket in his mind. Sitting once more, he observed the librarian’s activity in silence. Apparently being a man of knowledge didn’t stop him from running around after a pretty woman, a weakness which all men seemed to share.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Quest for Knowledge   A Quest for Knowledge Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Quest for Knowledge
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next