Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

(Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board)

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Rogue
Rogue

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Underling of Eldar

Female Loveliness : 69

(Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board)   (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 8:39 pm

Kassandra let out a heavy sigh as Armeno wrapped her close again, exhausted even from her small efforts. She shoved her hands into him at his words though, angry that he never seemed to understand her fear or point.
"You don't get it, do you?" Her voice was shrill. "You can't deal with him, he just always is better." So spoke the sharp tingle and unpleasant pain in her hand. She felt tainted by his touch. Pulling her head out of Armeno's grip, she shook herself free of him and massaged at her fingers, too anxious to stand still for long. Her gaze kept getting pulled back towards the window, and she stepped a couple of paces towards it before twisting back towards a bowl of water. Kassandra rolled her sleeves up and dunked her hands, her fingers curling at the chill and sting of the water.

"I'm not staying here. First thing, I'm going. We're going." Her voice wobbled a little, but she was firm on this fact. If it weren't for the Surahnians having a lockdown on Jiluria, she would have tried to leave already, exhaustion or not. What if he came back in the night? Her eyes scoured the water in front of her at that awful thought, darting up towards the window again, then back to her hands to scrub them harder.
Back to top Go down
Artemis
Artemis

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • SR Salamander
  • DDC Dingo
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Troll Fanatic
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

Female Loveliness : 73

PostSubject: Re: (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board)   (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 12:08 pm

It seemed Armeno had barely touched Kassandra, wilting slightly in relief at the thought that he might actually be able to sleep now, before she was pushing him away again, standing and moving restlessly about the room. Armeno's brow creased in upset as he watched her, at a loss for what to say- as usual, anything he tried only seemed to make her angrier. Perhaps it was a good thing that he was so tired; no doubt at any other time, his frustration would have turned to anger and they would have fought, but he didn't have the energy for that now.
"Fine." His voice rasped over the words, as he sank down to sit on the edge of the bed, face buried in his hands, where he still felt a slight bone-ache in his joints from their poisoning. Maybe the effects had been a little more long-lasting than he had thought. But his mind was wandering- he needed to calm Kassandra.
"Come and sit," he entreated feebly. "You can still watch, keep guard, if you need to... but at least give your body some rest." It was all he could think of to stop her rattling around the room like some kind of restless ghost; it was looking unlikely that she would close her eyes for so much as a second tonight, but maybe he could persuade her to take it easy, at the very least.
Back to top Go down
Rogue
Rogue

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Underling of Eldar

PostSubject: Re: (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board)   (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 4:23 pm

The water stung at Kassandra's raw fingers, then they stung again when she drew them out of the water to look at them in the light. Ugh, she was convinced she could still feel Rintho's filthy touch on her. Her head swung round over one shoulder as she heard the creak of the bed behind her, Armeno looking worn down. Was that her fault, or Rintho's, or travelling, or her? Or just... everything? Suddenly guilt welled within her to add to the myriad of other unpleasant feelings inside her gut, and she shifted uncomfortably.

Everything was wrong, and here she was, ignoring the elf, when they should have been working together to solve the problems battering at them from every direction. Swiping the water from her hands, she slammed the shutters of the window shut, making them rattle in their frames. Come and sit. For her benefit, or for his?

The door followed suit, making sure that the latch was fully bolted, shoving a chair under the handle as well. She was paranoid, and felt it. The temptation to re-check the windows again was there, but she forced herself down to Armeno's side instead.
You're being ridiculous. How she hated it. Her hands balled in her lap, then she lightly curled her hands around Armeno's nearest arm, sitting rigidly before bending over towards him to press her face into his shoulder. A breath escaped her, then she waylaid him with a torrent of words before she could stop herself again.
"Oh gods, I feel so helpless. You can't underestimate him, because that's what I did, and then he just does what he wants to, and it's like there's nothing even there." She took another deep breath. "Can't we go north and... go to Didienne, or Yarrowitz, and be away from all this blasted war, and him, and these Surahnian monsters?" Head through Plurith, towards the deep jungle and take refuge. It would never last, of course; not given either of their lifestyles, but she was rattled.
Back to top Go down
Zay
Admin
Zay

Things that I am :
  • SR Salamander
  • Medium Poster
  • Platypus
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Minion of Monty
  • Underling of Eldar

Female Loveliness : 62

PostSubject: Re: (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board)   (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2015 7:38 pm

The whole ordeal was exhausting to a life-threatening degree. Usually he would slink away, watching his back at every other moment, but this couldn't be permitted to happen again. It was one thing having your home ransacked by Lord Straten's thugs and another thing entirely to have known enemies lurking in one's own space. Moreover, ones left sour like this.

Every part of him wanted to retire back to his home and mend his wounds, but by then it would be too late. One of his achievements would have slipped away, still with the wrong image of him in her mind, and with a disturbed and overly protective lover to boot. Trying to make amends before had not worked well, but then, fighting with ghastly magic wasn't good for ameliorating problems at any point.
He would have to go back and stop the madness before it caught up to him and finished him off, even if that did mean going back into the fire for a moment more.

Following in the last direction he had seen them go was painstakingly slow as he tried to gather himself up, beyond any shock and the piercing sensation of magic disrupting him.
In spite of his hobbled pace, me made it to the couple of inns he knew nearby. One was without a stable, highly improbable for them to be there, and so that left him with the one other he could get to with his time so short.
Even 'nearby' took a long time.

When he finally made his way in, footsteps uncharacteristically heavy and flat, after only a few words with the keeper, he then bumbled into the next room and looked up to see a staircase twisting to a couple of other floors. There was a door right here however so he leaned in, listening closely. Door number one.
Of course, they might not be here. Of course, they could be sleeping by now. Of course, they might even be leaving Jiluria.
No sound answered from the door and as he peered closer with one eye, he could only make out that the lock was obscured by the key left in the other side.
Gritting his teeth, he turned away and rounded himself on to the staircase to begin his ascent, worn floorboards whining with every footfall.
Back to top Go down
http://www.google.co.uk
Artemis
Artemis

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • SR Salamander
  • DDC Dingo
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Troll Fanatic
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board)   (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2015 1:52 pm

There didn’t seem to be anything else to say; silence hung in the air for a long moment as Armeno stared at Kassandra in bleary desperation. Finally, she moved, banging the windows closed and locking the door with an aggression which spoke volumes. Armeno couldn’t help but let out a sigh of relief at her apparent decision to take his advice, even the slamming of shutters producing no more reaction than a faint grimace.

She was so tense as she sat down that he hardly felt the bed move under her weight. For a moment, he thought she might hover there, ready to leap up at any second, all night; then she leaned into him almost without warning, her breath warming his skin through the thin fabric of his shirt. Slowly, not wanting to spook her, he raised his arms to embrace her, massaging her shoulders as he planted a soft kiss on the top of her head. He could still hardly believe that that sallow, feeble- looking man could be as dangerous as Kassandra was making out; and yet, he was clearly a fool not to believe it. He himself had certainly been overcome easily enough; off-guard or not, there was some power there. And he had known enough mages in his time to appreciate that appearances were not necessarily an indicator of magical ability. And that was all notwithstanding the fact that this mage had done something to elicit this response in Kassandra.

Armeno sat quietly for a moment after she finished speaking, thinking over their options, before blowing out a heavy breath.
“Okay. I swear to you, I won’t underestimate him again. What we can do is… We’ll rest for a few hours, because neither of us are in a fit state to travel. And then… at dawn, I suppose, when the Surahnians won’t suspect anything from us leaving, we’ll set out and get well away from Jiluria. And then…” He didn’t know how she would respond to his assertion that he would return to the DDC; and yet, what else could he tell her? Lies had never got them far before, and he couldn’t abandon his faction at this point, especially now he was carrying intelligence- meagre as it was- from Siofra.
“Kassie, I can’t abandon the war. Truly, I don’t think there’s any part of the island where we can avoid it now. If the Surahnians gain control… well, they won’t leave any corner unexploited. I think… even the elves and other remote communities will have to get involved.” A chill ran down his spine as he spoke; he’d hardly admitted it to himself before, but how could he avoid the fact now? “North… I hear there are dragons there, raiding Plurith and other villages… I don’t think it’s wise to head that way. Didienne, though… that’s a possibility. We could head east for the time being, and just see how things lie when we get there. Just… get away from Jiluria for now. What do you think?” He’d run on a bit, babbling in his exhaustion and anxiety; now, as he fell silent rather abruptly, he heard a faint creak in the corridor outside. Just somebody heading to their room, surely… but the pacing sounded slow, as if searching for something; not the haphazard stumble of a drunkard, nor the purposeful stride of somebody retiring to bed. But he couldn’t afford to be paranoid; not when Kassandra was already so on edge. Pushing the thoughts from his mind, he turned his attention- and ears- back towards Kassandra, waiting for her response.
Back to top Go down
Rogue
Rogue

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Underling of Eldar

PostSubject: Re: (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board)   (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 10:08 pm

It was not the answer that Kassandra had wanted, but it was a rational one, rather than the vague fantastic hopes she had mumbled. A little irritation crept though her mind though, selfishness whispering that Armeno was doing nothing to help her, and doing everything to help the Defenders. Had he not ]seen how they would happily lynch anyone against their cause, no different to the Surahnians? Where was the lesser evil?

She supposed at least the Defenders had free citizens at the heart of their cause however, unlike the seemingly tyrranous Surahnians, working to the benefit of their own people, and disregarding those that had joined their cause the moment they had what it was they wanted, Racksom. The Defenders were transparent in their dislikes, at least. Kassandra was quite aware of thoose that would draw a sword against her, rather than being lulled by false smiles before she got shot when her back was turned.
"I can't come with you if you are determined to help the Defenders." It was a simple truth, no frills or fear encompassing this one. "Your comrades will kill me." She refused to give in to her emotions again, but felt her voice wobble at the end all the same. Swallowing her upset, she moved on before it could consume her. "If east is where the Defenders are, then I know how things lie. You can't protect me from everyone, even if you try." She picked herself up off his shouler again, sitting rigidly with her hands in her lap. "I'lll... continue toTarz. I have... friends there. It's far enough away from the Rebels and the Defenders." Was it? Not really, but she at least knew the city. With any luck she would make it there; the thought of crossing DDC land put a lump in her throat, when it felt all too likely to be intercepted by fighters who had seen her on the wrong side at Racksom.
Back to top Go down
Zay
Admin
Zay

Things that I am :
  • SR Salamander
  • Medium Poster
  • Platypus
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Minion of Monty
  • Underling of Eldar

PostSubject: Re: (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board)   (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 10:38 pm

He may have been trundling his way up the inn, and his senses were numbed and occasionally distorted, but he still heard voices all the same.
It was late, so they were not hard for him to pick out and only one more floor up. It was agony to climb the stairs but some things were more important than what pain he had now, or could yet have when he found them. If it was them. He heard a hissing in his ears, and a sharp jab of pain at the back of his head, seeing the floor bubble beneath his feet and change colour vividly.
Extremely bad, Rintho. What would your mentor say? Rintho would have shook his head, thinking about all his mistakes so far, if it wouldn't also make him feel like his brain would fall out.

As he pulled himself up to the final floor, he became level with the voices. They quivered in the air, striking him painfully on the left side of his head, making him flinch as a shiver took hold of his arm for a moment. Then the sound became ordinary again, if only a little muffled.

Rintho now took one step close to a wall and listened. It was unmistakeable, it was them. Straightening up his posture as much as he could, he then edged to the door and lifted his withered arm to knock twice on it before he paused and then knocked twice more.

"I wish to speak." He said softly. "Nothing more. Only words, to make amends." He then said, before adding more. "You understand, I did not mean for...all of this, this catastrophe." Rintho then rasped, clamping a hand to his throat as he watched the closed door before him shake violently.
Back to top Go down
Artemis
Artemis

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • SR Salamander
  • DDC Dingo
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Troll Fanatic
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board)   (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2016 10:16 pm

Unbidden, Armeno’s hands climbed to his hair and rumpled it in exasperation as Kassie shifted her weight from his shoulder; how could she still not see? Fear he could understand, but he couldn’t see how it could cloud her mind to such an extent- but then, Kassandra had never been exactly reasonable, had she?
“You were there at Racksom,” he pointed out, his voice catching in frustration at the end of the sentence. “How can you not understand? Tarz isn’t far enough. The Ice Plains aren’t far enough. Bloody Surahnia itself probably isn’t far enough! This war- it’s going to be like nothing we’ve ever seen. Nobody will kill you. I can’t deny there’ll be some questions raised at first, but the Defenders aren’t exactly-”

The knock at the door cut him off mid-sentence. Instantly he cursed himself for being so distracted by his annoyance- hadn’t he been listening to the footsteps outside just moments ago? It wasn’t hard to remember why he and Kassie had parted ways in the first place, at times like this; nobody else he’d ever met (except maybe Talos) could get under his skin in the same way, making him lose all rationality. For a moment he couldn’t seem to process the knock, instead sitting rigid on the bed- then as the rapping sounded through the room again he shot to his feet, snatching up his sword from where he’d dropped it unthinkingly on the floor. He made a brave attempt at holding it like he knew what he was doing, but his muscles shook with fatigue; he could hardly cut an intimidating figure, as he was. But then, based on the alarming noises coming from the other side of the door, perhaps Rintho wasn’t on his top form either. On this note, Armeno took a step forwards and threw the door open, jaw clenched as he advanced on Rintho.
“There’s no making amends now. You should leave here… or I’ll find a way to kill you despite your magics, I swear it.”
Back to top Go down
Rogue
Rogue

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Underling of Eldar

PostSubject: Re: (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board)   (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2016 8:41 pm

The Defenders aren't exactly defenders of all. Just those that fit the mold. Sure they had a few dragons, plenty of humans and avians too, but even with a limited knowledge, Kassandra could see they didn't like elves- or Armeno, at least- and she didn't like the idea of siding with "defenders" who had let wild dragons to ruin villages, violence rule whole cities, and prejudiced against untamed magic. Only half of these thoughts made it through her mind however, before the knock at the door whipped all thought away, rational or otherwise.
It was like all her worst nightmares wrapped up into one delightful bundle of a night. Suddenly her heart was pounding in her ears and she couldn't breathe properly, throat constricted, skin cold like she'd been dipped in ice.

Kassandra flinched as Armeno leapt to his feet, ripping open the door before she could stop him. And the nightmare restarted. Somehow she found herself following him, if only for the protection of a sharp sword. Or perhaps it was once and for all to land the killing blow on Rintho, but as she rose one hand to draw magic, it was if she were drawing on her own life force instead. She staggered against the door, the edges of her vision turning white. Her skin protested in pain as she tried to summon the last few dregs of magic.
"What do you want? Just leave us alone." It came out as a croak.
Back to top Go down
Zay
Admin
Zay

Things that I am :
  • SR Salamander
  • Medium Poster
  • Platypus
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Minion of Monty
  • Underling of Eldar

PostSubject: Re: (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board)   (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2016 8:57 pm

As the door opened, he startled a little, half expecting Armeno's sword to connect with his face. It looked like they were all on bad form however, as Armeno was evidently weak and Kassandra struggled to gather any energy as well. No more tricks, no more fighting. Rintho had squirmed his way out of uncomfortable situations before, but in this part of Dragons' Cove, the last thing he needed was another pair of roaming enemies. He wanted to keep his quiet life in tact, and not even the Surahnian army was going to disrupt that if he could help it.

"My behaviour has not been savoury, I know." He flinched a little, still standing in the doorway, eyes flitting between them both, even if it also made him feel a little ill. "But I truly do want to see this come to an end. I want to finish this now, calmly." Rintho spoke, as polite as he ever was, and this time sounding a little more kind than his usual tone of cheerful-indifference to others repulsion of him.
"I don't know what will come of you both in these times, but we shouldn't need more foes. I'm sorry; I was afraid and struck out unwisely." He put one hand on to the door frame slowly, focusing on Armeno.
Back to top Go down
Artemis
Artemis

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • SR Salamander
  • DDC Dingo
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Troll Fanatic
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

PostSubject: Re: (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board)   (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 9:17 pm

Not savoury? Armeno could say with some confidence that that was the understatement of the century (after all, he’d been around for most of it.) Kassie swaying beside him was an alarming sight to say the least; even as he glanced over at her, she folded against the doorframe, apparently unable to support her own weight. Tired as she may have been though, she was still speaking reasonably enough- more so than their former conversation, anyway. He couldn’t think of any reason why the lich would pursue them so persistently- unless he still wanted whatever it was he’d been trying to take from Kassandra in the first place? Armeno still hadn’t managed to get the full story out of her, but whatever it was, he was sure it was to do with her magic- powers which, he had to admit, he hadn’t observed in many others. Kassandra’s innate command of her magic with no use of spells or other framework was almost reminiscent of a dragon’s powers. A horrible though occurred to him, a moment later- was that what Rintho meant by “finishing” this? Armeno knew little of magic, not really- it might be that Rintho had a spell prepared and just needed to step a little closer…

As Rintho leaned on the door frame, perilously close to where Kassie was still supported against the door, Armeno slashed his sword at the man’s hand, teeth gritted in a rather unpleasant grimace.
“If you want to avoid any more unwise moves, you won’t take another step closer,” he spat. “Enough pleasantries- what do you want?” He knew he was echoing Kassie, maybe uselessly- the lich hadn’t answered her, after all- but what else was there to say? Even if they could fight Rintho off or outrun him, which he wasn’t at all confident of in their current states, the man would presumably continue to follow them until he got whatever he was coming for; he had so far, after all.
Back to top Go down
Rogue
Rogue

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Underling of Eldar

PostSubject: Re: (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board)   (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 11:24 am

What did 'finish it now' mean? What did Rintho mean by bringing it to an end? Kassandra didn't know what finality he was looking for, what he needed to end the whole nightmare and leave them be. But she didn't like the thought of it, she mortal, facing up against this man who seemingly refused to die. That didn't stop her from trying to send him to the hellish depths he resided in for her. She lunged forwards as Armeno swiped at Rintho with his sword, her fingers clenching around the lich's thick cloak and shirt.
"I don't want any more of your words. I want you dead and gone so I know you can't do this any more." And she didn't care about the technicalities of the matter either, although no doubt she'd be called up on it by the lich. "You've done your damage already. You've broken my magic, and stolen my magic, and what more do you want? You want this?" She summoned the last dregs of her lightning, her brows furrowing with the effort of making it light up her fingertips, crackle against her skin. The world seemed to narrow to the point of light, her will intensely focused. Everything felt heavy and laborious, seconds ticking by slowly, like the world was moving through thick liquid and she could barely make sense of it.

Outside of this time loop, the door opposite flew open, revealing the shape of a woman oozing with barely-restrained fury. Her voice came in a sharp chatter, foreign words spoken that Kassandra couldn't catch a single word of, but the meaning was abundantly clear. Her sharp gestures towards their room and the paleness of her skin was even clearer in meaning if they didn't take their argument elsewhere- her aggression would pale in comparison to anything she could bring down on them through summoning Surahnian troops. There was no room for anything other than obedience.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board)   (Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

(Jiluria) Fate Without Magic (30th Board)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next