Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

(SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)

Go down 
+4
Stormkatz
Aero
Artemis
Zay
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Aero
Aero

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Gold Hoarder
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Rebel of Rogue

Female Loveliness : 25

(SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 11:47 pm

Every breath was agony, but that did not stop her from joining her sister in the roar that heralded the end of their fearsome opponent. She remained silent as her sister's speech waxed, her vision blurring as the pain in her side only seemed to increase the longer she stood. Her gaze drifted to the body of their downed opponent, and for the briefest of moments she thought she saw a flicker. Blinking away at the haze, Vy concentrated and saw that same blue glow again, and then it was gone. Whether it was a figment of her imagination or some kind of power from the lightning stone, she couldn't know. Glancing around at the others, she noted that most were concentrated on her sister' speech rather than the corpse of her enemy, though a few others had leveled curious or worried stares at the spot next to the dragon's side where Vy had seen the flicker. Maybe it wasn't just her own imagination, then.

She bore silent witness to the makeshift death service, her heart filling with swift sorrow to see so many of their kin put in the ground. "My battle friends, you will not be forgotten." She mumbled under her breath. On legs that shook from exhaustion she paced to the mounds of stone that took shape of the fallen before her eyes. As the statues were completed, she dipped her head, touching each with her nose and leaking the smallest amount of her own energy into the forms. It was not much, as she was not gifted in the beautiful manipulation of the earth as others were. Her power was purely geared toward destruction. But she could give them this small tribute. The last she arrived at was the one crafted in the likeness of their newly fallen enemy, and to this too she dipped her head and gave it a small burst of her power. "You were a worthy opponent. Rest deeply in the beyond."

Her respects paid to the fallen, there was then the matter of attending to the living. The battle had been hard-won for one purpose: The destruction of the stone. Turning toward the mystical glow that filled the cavern, she heaved a deep breath that resulted in a sharp pain in her side that nearly felled her right then and there. Steadying herself against the bout of wooziness and nausea that her wound was causing her, Vy managed to make it to Anae's side and watched with interest her attempt at getting rid of the stone.

It was disappointing to see that launching a bolder did little more than dim a single spot for the briefest of moments, but they did not have time to be disappointed for long. "This is going to take a while." Vy said under her breath, shooting Anae a look out of the corner of her eye before looking at the stone once more; just a brilliant as it had been before the stone had been launched at it. "We will have to work at it if we hope to destroy it. Perhaps the hall that we passed through will have some hint… But all due caution is necessary. I do not want to lose any more of our comrades."
Back to top Go down
http://seroph.deviantart.com/
Rogue
Rogue

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Underling of Eldar

Female Loveliness : 69

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 10:30 pm

Despite the effort that those earth magic wielding dragons of Maledictus Eice put into creating their replica sleeping fellows, as Irael’s spirit left the great dragon’s empty body, he- and Celen, the man quite outnumbered for all the dragons around him- had eyes and interest only for one another’s peace. Celen did not take his hands once from Irael’s phantom scales, moving alongside one great leg as some wordless communication took place between the two of them, hardly having to think to both decide they wanted away from these creatures.

Their forms flickered and crackled out of view as they passed from the huge chamber they had been fighting in, eyes looking a little now to the destruction caused to the walls, the great slabs laid across the floor that were cracked under the weight of fighting. A sad thing it was to see, such ancient architecture destroyed by such wanton negligence.

They came to a pause once into the hall of pictures, Celen sparing a brief glance for a ragged looking desert chaser that scarpered at the sight of them, before starting to look around at the nearest pictures; pictures of peace, happiness, the Guardians ruling over all. Ah, Celen only hoped for such things to prevail long into the future.
Back to top Go down
Zay
Admin
Zay

Things that I am :
  • SR Salamander
  • Medium Poster
  • Platypus
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Minion of Monty
  • Underling of Eldar

Female Loveliness : 62

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 4:44 pm

Amid all the madness that had now utterly taken over the cavern, and the great danger the stone now faced, Rintho was still able to see beyond the dragons. The strong pull of powerful magic, of a kind that he both knew very well but also did not; as it was unusually done...A crackling light that then turned to the shape of a phantom of some sort. Or two. Had the lich rider and his lich dragon been truly defeated? Rintho was both surprised, for all their power, but also knew in his gut that such a thing would happen. Who could hope to resist such a dragon horde?
The spirits themselves had now departed their bodies and trapsed away, left well alone by the preoccupied dragons, and so rintho spied his chance.
As they all now served their leaders and interests, they had immediately left the spirits to whatever fate they might have. One that would come swiftly...If there was an opportunity to understand, this was it.
Seizing the moment, Rintho scarpered from his enclave of stalagmites, tracing widely and quietly around the cavern, before running as fast as his limp would allow into the neck of tunnels that wuld lead to the halls, hoping to see those spirits...
The sound was less  deafening,  but no less /terrible/. Did they realise what they were doing? It was absurd, frightening...but Rintho shuddered with excitement, whatever he had found hismelf in today, it was /big/.
"Hello?" He called down the empty tunnels, somewhat sheepishly as he also turned to look for straying dragons. Nothing, until a desert chaser bolted past him, apparently in fear to rejoin its brethren. Rounding more curves, he could see why. There, stood the ethereal forms of the lich and his dragon, his dragon in fact no less large than before...though a ghostly shape and the stuff of nightmares. "You're...the guardians? Well, you know, not /the/ guardians but...The lightning stone and you, and...I'm sorry....I just, had to find you...you both."
Back to top Go down
http://www.google.co.uk
Rogue
Rogue

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Underling of Eldar

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 4:50 pm

Celen stared up at the wall of pictures in front of him, although his eyes did not see them properly. His mind was preoccupied, saddened by the thought that such happy times might be coming to an end; would be coming to an end, with what these animals would do to the lightning stone. They obviously had no peaceful intentions, when they had struggled so hard to get to it. He had tried to put aside the worrying thoughts now he could do nothing, concentrate on Irael and things in front of him, but it was difficult. Difficult with the noise of dragons behind him, dragons who were trying to destroy his life's work. Dragons whom he should have banished from this place already.
Irael nosed down at his shoulder, drawing his attention to pat him on the cheek absently, even though it was more of a familiar gesture than one that gave either of them sensation, in this form.

A closer, clearer voice drew Celen's attention away from staring out in front of him, listening to the heavy sounds further away. He turned his head towards Rintho, his slow patting of his dragon pausing to see not a dragon, but a man stood in front of him. Or, closer to a man than dragons were; a lich, similar to himself.
"What brings you here, fellow? You are not dragonkind." He had not missed the way the dragons had rebelled so ferociously to the idea of humans. As if they were above all others. "This place is sacred, it should not be trespassed upon."
Back to top Go down
Zay
Admin
Zay

Things that I am :
  • SR Salamander
  • Medium Poster
  • Platypus
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Minion of Monty
  • Underling of Eldar

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 5:07 pm

"No. It shouldn't." Rintho said, not willing to argue that clearly, trespassing was /not/ what should be done. Though he was not too hasty to mention his previous expeditions in collecting the magic of /other/ stones...it was only little bits anyway, nothing that could hold a candle to the true power of the stones.
"But I had been sent here, forced to, to collect a small sum of magic...by a man amongst invaders to the island, I did not have a choice in the matter..." Did the spirit know of invaders? Rintho didn't think he could, so perhaps he should have said nothing, but then it helped, at least in part, to explain some of the goings on today. With invaders had come opportunity for many, turmoil in the land as Maledictus Eice had risen from seemingly nowhere.
"...Who are you?" Rintho began, "If you should grace me with the knowledge. And your dragon?" Only the beginnings of all the questions wishing to escape from his mouth.
Back to top Go down
Rogue
Rogue

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Underling of Eldar

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 5:14 pm

This man sought of the stone too, not merely to gaze upon it as the infrequent had over the years- and even then, not for many years- but to take of its magic. He was hardly better than these other intruders.
"There is always a choice. You understand this is hallowed ground, yet you still come here." But he had done it now, had slunk past Celen.   He could feel the magic on this man, most of it that which was a bastardised version of his own, but a small flicker of that he knew almost better than that which kept him alive. This man had stolen. What was the world outside doing, to bring monsters down to his own small land, to have the undead walk chained, and invaders hold the keys?
"Guardians we are, of this place, against those like you, who seek that which must remain undisturbed for peace. I am Celen, trusted friend and Elite of the Arch Mage. Irael is my closest companion, of the same standing. We are the protectors of the lightning stone."
And you should not be here, interloper.
Back to top Go down
Zay
Admin
Zay

Things that I am :
  • SR Salamander
  • Medium Poster
  • Platypus
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Minion of Monty
  • Underling of Eldar

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 5:22 pm

"I am hardly the main threat...given my own chosing, I would not be here at all, I say with respect. Great protectors." He scowled, "The invaders are not weak and they have brought disruption to all the island, they are strong and...would seek to own it. The dragons down here, are no better...I, I quest for knowledge not petty violence under one banner or another." Yet everybody else now wished for it.

"If you are Guardians, surely you have the wisdom....What will happen to the stone? What must we do...? Why....Why does this cavern exist? ...The paintings! Everything!" Rintho was excited but felt that his time was running out with every word spoken and every moment that passed. Yet infuriatingly, the protectors only seemed interested in decrying /him/.
"Nobody knows of any of this! But soon they will, and they must! Please! What is this place?" Rintho inquired, thirsty for the understanding that the guardians might bring him.
Back to top Go down
Rogue
Rogue

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Underling of Eldar

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 5:31 pm

"The Isle must remain in peace." Celen was quick to respond this time, without any of the mulling pauses he had had before. "There is no place for violence and death here. Peace must rule above all." He took a step towards Rintho at this, his point important. What was this, the disruption of peace? It could not happen. None of this had reached Celen and his dragon, locked away down here in their own sort of serenity, until this rude awakening.
"If you look around yourself at these paintings, and see only images, then the knowledge you have sought is far beyond your worth. They are here for a reason, to teach those foolhardy enough to quest down to these depths, of the story of the thing they seek." He reached out a hand to touch at the painted wall, his fingers slipping through the rock. "Take note of them, for they hold much more knowledge than that which I could tell you through words."
He feared for the Isle indeed now, when a man who sought knowledge asked such a thing; and there were greater intruders within his land that had ignored these painted warnings completely.
"The stone is a great and ancient thing, of which must not be destroyed. But it seems that there are those who wish to end the golden age of Dragons' Cove." He looked down past Rintho to his chamber, where the noises of the dragons echoed back to them.
Back to top Go down
Zay
Admin
Zay

Things that I am :
  • SR Salamander
  • Medium Poster
  • Platypus
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Minion of Monty
  • Underling of Eldar

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Rintho could not disagree with that...nobody wanted what either the invaders or the dragons were offering...did they?
Nobody except the droves that joined both sides, he thought, and that made him doubt Celen's words (and by now he was sure it was Celen) more than he'd have hoped. Had the principle become so old, they truly were only relics of times gone by?
"With respect, great Celen...Irael...now is not the time for cryptic answers. I fear I may never be able to return to this place again and see the wonders here, I know time wears thin for your forms too, but for the sake of the living and those that, ahm, dwell between, what do the walls say? Who are these people? How are we to understand if there are no answers? What if the dragons destroy everything of it? They are on the verge of a damn lightning stone destruction and all you have to tell me is 'take note'! Please!"
He became quite frantic, feeling on the tip of a great discovery but having it held from his reach...the possibility iof it being swallowed up and lost forever was all too real a prospect.
Back to top Go down
Rogue
Rogue

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Underling of Eldar

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 6:16 pm

Celen had never been a man for giving any lowly explorer answers they did not deserve, and that Rintho would not even pause to consider what he said gave him no further reason to indulge the man. How else had he kept such secrets he held out of common knowledge, without his coldness for those who only begged for knowledge, and did not go the way to seek it?
"There are answers to be seen, but those who look for them do not do the Isle any favours. These walls tell the past, of things that have shaped the land as it is today and those within it. Of things that have been kept from man and dragon alike to protect them, and to protect this place from darker things again."
If the dragons destroyed these things, then it would do no man favour, no dragon favour. They could do as they pleased now and think themselves great for their deeds, but ancient things such as the lightning stone had a purpose. The destruction of anything so set in stone would never bode well for peace and prosperity.
"If those rage filled animals destroy the stone, then everything you look on today will cease to be as it is. Irael and I have done as we can, as is our duty and honour, but we cannot stand before what will come of such a thing and survive it. And when we cannot, who have lived more years than you might hope to, the losses of the rest of the Isle will be incomparable."
Back to top Go down
Zay
Admin
Zay

Things that I am :
  • SR Salamander
  • Medium Poster
  • Platypus
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Minion of Monty
  • Underling of Eldar

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

It was all very much for Rintho to take in, and so he reeled back from Celen, his lips tightly shut as he tried to contemplate on what he had been told. This was /history/? How could it be when there had only been...It directly conflicted with what he knew! Or had he missed a great piece of history that...?
"Celen, Irael...How is that so? The arch magician has given those of the isle peace with the stones when they first settled here...there has been no great darkness, none that has been spoken of...what do /you/ speak of?" He asked now, insistently, feeling the largeness of what he was learning almost too great for him to handle.
"What losses, you mean the free magic and...?"
Free magic, said to have created disasters...perhaps he would experience it for himself...but that might have been unwise. Yet here he was being told their peace had not always been peace.
There had to have been something to foreshadow it...Apparently. Or he was going mad in his understanding of the spirit.
"Would you tell me that those great figures are /true/people of the past? Those shadows and those wisps that grip the ceiling? The dragons amid the people, fighting?"
It looked far more like a picture of Maledictus Eice's views than the past.
Back to top Go down
Rogue
Rogue

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Underling of Eldar

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 8:11 pm

"I speak of history. I speak of those things that have shaped today, despite those that live knowing nothing of it. I speak of the things written on these walls, that fools who dare to trespass think they have the authority to ignore. Dragons' Cove retains its peace for the stones, and the Arch Mage's great power, and that knowledge can be learnt from these walls, these walls that tell of the things that will come to pass again if his work is undone. And still, a change is sought." Celen's figure shimmered a little in the air, then reappeared with less distance between himself and Rintho, holding one arm out to point beyond, to the chamber they had come from. Perhaps these dragons wanted something 'better', but to destroy age old artifacts that they could not hope to understand, that would not bring a better thing, only ruin.

Do you understand now, Wanderer? Irael spoke up now, standing behind by the wall still. In times of old, before those you know today and do not appreciate for not knowing any other, the world was in darkness. And then, from the shadows, came the Arch Mage. We, the brave, and good of soul, followed him to see the land alive again. Without balance, all will fall again.
Back to top Go down
Zay
Admin
Zay

Things that I am :
  • SR Salamander
  • Medium Poster
  • Platypus
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Minion of Monty
  • Underling of Eldar

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 8:39 pm

"That will come to pass, /again/? Surely you do not just mean the chaos of before? The wrath of the elements...there has been no...well, no violence of this sort before. Never have humans fought dragons or any other sort of 'war'...we are all from the settlers, but the dragons themselves..." Rintho sounded what he knew to Celen, in hopes of having it corrected for him...Yet he also did not quite believe it.
Evidently, he should. The man was ancient, his dragon proof of the past kinds, the walls and caves had been in a deep slumber...The truth was within these chambers, and had never escaped to see light.
"...What do you /mean/ the world was in darkness, however? Please, anything you can tell me Sir...Dragon..." He would have to look at the halls again in his own time; however long that might turn out to be.
"Can nothing be done for you? Do you know how long your spirit form remains? So many questions..." Rintho had no need of breath, but he felt at a loss, revelations tumbling through his mind.
Back to top Go down
Rogue
Rogue

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Underling of Eldar

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Irael looked around himself to the painted walls, then behind him, where history stretched further back, and into chaos. This man had not taken note of any of what was shown there, to be so ignorant now. It frustrated Celen, that he demanded such answers, without even looking himself for knowledge that was before his eyes. It was looking, not seeing, that he was doing.
The peace has been well kept, for you to believe only of it. But as my dear companion as said, the past is for the taking, if only you were to take note of it. Fire and blood has rained down before, and it will rain again without balance.
The Arch Mage would have been pleased, to know that peace had lasted such an age, and that Dragons' Cove would never know of a war.

"How long we will last, I do not know. The last time, the stone was not harmed, only I. It was not an undue time before I returned as I was before. But this time..." Everything had changed. Both he and Irael were spirits, unable to do a thing, and the lightning stone... who knew what fate would befall it; corruption, destruction? Would they even last out such a thing, drag themselves together again with their source gone. It was not something that they had ever contemplated... it seemed too absurd, too impossible.
Back to top Go down
Artemis
Artemis

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • SR Salamander
  • DDC Dingo
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Troll Fanatic
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

Female Loveliness : 73

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 12:38 am

Anaekileya nodded, frowning.
“Indeed… I don’t think I can use any more magic now, but at least it did seem to have some effect, no matter how small. But the question is, what caused the dimming? The magic or the stone itself? No physical damage seems to have been done… You are right, though, we must endeavour to protect ourselves now that we have defeated our opponents. We cannot risk touching the stone ourselves… perhaps if a few members returned to the long passage, to see what might be of help from the walls.” Decision made, the sisters dispatched two small, flying dragons to examine the pictures more closely and see if any depicted anything of use about the stone.

While waiting for the dragons’ return, Anaekileya returned her attention to the stone. With some difficulty, she picked up a smallish stone from the floor just outside the temple and smacked it towards the stone without the aid of magic, angling her swing carefully so that her club just brushed along the ground to connect soundly with the rock. Rather less energetically than the last missile, it bounced off the lightning stone and tumbled back to the floor. Watching intently, Anae could not see even the slightest dimming of the stone’s infuriatingly mysterious glow.
“As I suspected,” she murmured, almost to herself- though of course, Vythiweiah shared in her thoughts. Apparently, nothing but magic would have an effect on the stone. No matter; they would simply attack it with arcane powers. The clubtails themselves might have been weak magic users, but that didn’t mean all the dragons of Maledictus Eice were. Not by any means.

After a brief survey of their ranks, Anae called forwards a mature and world-weary ice dragon, whom she and Vythiweiah had known for years. If any could be trusted in testing their magic against the stone, it was him. They talked briefly, with somewhat conflicting opinions over how he should proceed- he did not simply lob chunks of ice at immensely magically powerful stones, thank you very much- before he paced his way over to the stone. For a long moment, it seemed he was not going to do anything except stand with his head canted back, gazing at the yellowish surface. Eventually, however, he braced himself and a crystalline spike of ice seemed to grow out of the floor, from nowhere, the air around it growing chilled and dry. Swiftly it reached the stone’s surface, where he continued to stare at it avidly, obviously expecting it to continue growing- but to no avail. Confusion and self-consciousness spread across the dragon’s face; with a grunt, he stepped back, the icicle drawing away with him before hurtling back at the stone with all the speed he could muster. There was still no effect.

Perplexed, he sat back and shook his head. Anaekileya, too, retired to her haunches in frustration. How could it be that when she launched an attack at the stone with her magic, it seemed to damage the stone, yet it did not when the ice dragon did just the same thing? It certainly couldn’t be that she was stronger; he might have been older than her, but his magic still far outclassed hers. Then what?

It was not Anaekileya who prompted the answer, but Vythiweiah. A mention of earth and ice and lightning magics- and the old ice dragon lifted his head, eyes suddenly bright and animated.
“Now there’s a thought!” he exclaimed. “Once, some years ago, I trained at that human academy in the east-” A low hiss rolled through Maledictus Eice’s ranks at his words, hackles rising in distaste at the thought.
“-before I came to realise the error of my ways,” he continued hurriedly. “They had nothing to teach me about my own magic, but they also talked about the wider picture of magic. Earth negates lightning magic, they said. And lightning negates… hm, water or some such. Of course, I never thought twice about it, these magics having little importance to me at the time- but that must be the answer.” Pleased with himself, he looked from one clubtail to the other. Anae thanked him graciously, her mind working furiously. Of course, that would explain it; it was not the rock being thrown at the stone which had done the damage, but the magical energy which she had used to power its flight. And so, when she had batted the smaller stone without the aid of magic, nothing had happened. No doubt it was more complicated than that, somehow, but this certainly seemed to be the key. Earth negated lightning. Ice did not. And so, what other magics might have an effect on the stone?

Moving swiftly now that they were armed with this knowledge, the dragons organised themselves into groups based upon the types of magic they were able to use- some few who were more wild and did not know what magic they used, only their capabilities with it, having to discuss briefly before categorising themselves- before testing each type of magic on the stone, systematically. The single euphorn among their ranks was the only other dragon who was met with any success in damaging the stone- but the neutral magic still did not seem as potent as the earth. After experimenting a little by using more earth magic against the stone, only to have its glow swallow up the dimmed patches like before, it was decided that some kind of strategy was needed. Knowing the reputed power of the Arch Mage and a couple of dragons even having seen living proof of it in the form of the Guardians, all of Maledictus Eice gathered to discuss how best to attack the stone. Those who knew more of magical lore assured the group that all dragons could contribute, earth magic or no; it was simply those dragons who used earth magic who would have to apply the force to the stone. Nobody seemed entirely sure of how to share their power, however, save for the euphorn, who assured them all that he was quite capable of such matters. But they all shared a concern over whether he would be able to survive so much energy passing through him, let alone control it; though none dared voice their fears, the thought was almost tangible in the air. Finally there was no more discussing to be done. The dragons assembled, tense but ready for their mission to be done. A large group of antlers took the front, all part of the same tribe and therefore well experienced in working together, the two males standing slightly ahead of a gaggle of females. They were flanked by a mixed assortment of desert chasers, dragons of mixed breed and a single red rock, standing solidly as the breed’s namesake in the midst of the group. The euphorn stood as a tenuous link between these earth-using dragons and the rest of Maledictus Eice, only those dragons who used lightning standing aside- clearly still working against their fascination with the stone. The clubtail twins had dutifully taken their place among the earth dragons, measly as their power might be.

The feeling as the dragons began to pour their power towards the stone, as raw as they were able to make it under the euphorn’s careful instruction, was bizarre. A torrent of magic which would surely be deadly if you delved too deeply into it; the strain it was putting on the euphorn was immediately clear to behold. Anae held a concerned eye on him as she tried her best to make the magical energy earthy- but how? This was entirely unlike anything she had done before. All of Maledictus Eice was on uncertain ground, trying to figure out how they could best do their part- most of the dragons trying to keep their power as neutral as possible to minimise the euphorn’s workload, the earth dragons trying to inbue the energy with as much earth as they could without some kind of medium. Eventually, as they grew used to the sensation, the flow became more steady and concentrated. The lightning stone was dimming noticeably now, not having a chance to recover from the modest but steady flow of power which was being directed at it.

Not long after they began to work in unison, though, came the first hint of the consequences of damaging the stone. Forking out without warning, a tongue of lightning struck out at the antler who stood at the forefront of their assembly. He stumbled, face contorting in pain, and everybody’s concentration was broken, the flow of magic halting abruptly as they gathered to murmur in concern over the affected antler. The stone’s glow gradually evened out, with no significant difference to before- but if you looked closely, the glow was that bit less vibrant, the flickers which ran across the stone that bit more unstable.

The antler seemed largely unharmed, and so after retreating a good distance from the stone, Maledictus Eice warily resumed their effort, only able to hope that they would not be struck again. Down to almost the last member, they were determined not to give up unless there was no alternative. Not when they had come so far.

Last edited by Artemis on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

Female Loveliness : 16

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 5:27 pm

Dyavol calmed down rapidly once the violence was over; his mood crashing as he realised how many dragons they had lost. He did not approve of the images raised over their enemies, but he already knew that he was more bitter towards their foes than some of the other dragons. The Clubtails knew what they were doing, so if they thought their foes had done enough to warrant this kind of burial, he would follow their judgement.

From there, everything went very quickly. The stone looked impregnable – Dyavol had no idea how they could even scratch the surface. However, he was keen to try. He grouped in with the other wind-magic dragons, and stopped near the front of the group despite his weak magic. It was one more way to let out his violent side, which would keep his mind from wandering. He didn’t understand all the talk of magic types, or what the ex-human-associate Euphorn thought he was doing, but let himself be shepherded through the motions until he was arranged where they needed him. With that, the magical attack began. It was strange for Dyavol to use his magic rather than his teeth and tail, and he wasn’t sure what he thought of it.

--

Oceianna backed away quickly as the huge dragon went down, letting the other dragons move ahead of her. She understood killing the man, but she felt sorry for his mount. She had done her bit – now the fiercer dragons could take over. She was more than happy to be ushered over to the small cave, where the magical attack on the stone had already begun. She would have helped the Euphorn explain magic types quite happily – Eliza had been obsessed with them – but she didn’t want to reveal that she had a human – especially not now. So, that in mind, she quietly joined the dark magic group, well aware that their attack would have little effect.

Once the correct magic system had been arranged, she loosed her attack on the stone vigorously. Her strength was in magic, so she was much more at home with this form of attack. It was much gentler on her injured wing too, which was really starting to throb now that the thrill of the fighting had gone.

Back to top Go down
Eldarwen
Admin
Eldarwen

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Minion of Monty
  • Thrall of Zay

Female Loveliness : 68

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 10:59 am

He felt as though he were waking from a dream. Slowly, painfully and fighting against the notion of reality as hard as he could. Fenrir blinked a couple of times before the scene in front of his eyes started to make sense again. Somehow, somewhere along his frantic dancing around the stone, he had lost consciousness, it seemed, though he was clearly still on his feet.

Standing a little apart from the rest of the dragons, Fenrir stared on in disbelief as the light emanating from the stone seemed to fade a little every few heartbeats. What were they doing? No, no, no! They should not touch the stone, no! It’s magic, it’s wonderfully caress and loving magic! What were they doing! The magic would…

The wolf dragon hadn’t finished his thought when he noticed that an antler dragon had already gone down, most likely slain by some kind of magic lashing out from the stone. It was too late now. Fenrir hung his head. He shouldn’t have lost control, he should have warned them! But it was too late now, they were in too deep to retreat or to save themselves from the consequences they were now going to have to bear. How he knew, he didn’t know. He only knew that this plan of destroying the stone… it wouldn’t bring them any good. Worst of all, there was nothing he could do. Getting too close to the stone would only make him go mad again and his magic was still sizzling like crazy in his veins. Lightning coursed through his veins in a crackling race against each other and Fenrir had to take a few more steps away from the stone to assure that he wasn’t going to fry from within.

He nudged the lightning storm dragon standing next to him to nudge the others and urged them to move backwards with him. They were the ones that were in immediate danger along with the earth dragons, but unlike the unconscious antler dragon who would no doubt recuperate, they would die from an overdose of lightning magic.

Before they got far enough away however, the combined strength of Maledictus Eice seemed to have provoked something further in the stone. Light suddenly pulsed brightly in the stone and more lightning crackled through the cave and without giving the dragons a chance to scram for their lives, lightning struck. The handful of lightningstorms and wolf dragons were soon writhing on the floor of the cave, howling in pain as their wings flared and crackled with the energy that had just been shot into their bodies.

Fenrir thought he was going to die. The pain was too much to take. It hurt an unbelievable amount and he could feel the heat of the lightning course through his body, tracking each tiny movement of the magic as though he were watching a beetle crawl across the floor. He didn't know what was happening to the others and at that moment he didn't care. There was only pain. Tremendous pain.

Luckily, his world soon went black.

Last edited by Eldarwen on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Zay
Admin
Zay

Things that I am :
  • SR Salamander
  • Medium Poster
  • Platypus
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Minion of Monty
  • Underling of Eldar

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2013 12:48 pm

Rintho followed the spirit dragon's movements as he seemed to look over the walls about them. So he had not been wrong; the walls were in fact a story.
"The walls are the truth then? But who made them..? Please, as a desperate man, truly only a /mortal/ at his core, tell me these few things. What can be done now?" The stone in his mind obviously needed replacing, but how could they hope to do that without such skill, or many focused skills, in the presence of free magic and...it just all seemed hopeless.
Hopefully the dragons had only corrupted the stone.../that/ he knew how to fix, if not by himself at all. But what if they were destroying it? Did they know?
So many fools gathered in one place, there were darker workings afoot and it made him deeply suspicious.
"My mind is at a loss. Never before has such a thing occurred...to lose a stone would be...disastrous...wouldn't it?"
Would it not?
Back to top Go down
Rogue
Rogue

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Underling of Eldar

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2013 1:00 pm

The walls are truth and history, Irael agreed.
"History that should not have to be known, that should not be spelled out in every syllable," snapped Celen, glaring both at Rintho and his dragon too. "What else have we had to do down here for the past thousand years? The lightning stone has not changed, as there has been no threat to it. Unlike now, when you and those dragons bring all your destruction down here in the thought that you know best." He snorted disdainfully, stepping stiffly around Rintho so he could look at the lich from all sides, portray all his dislike for what had come with him- even if the man had not caused any of it. "Those dragons need to be stopped. They are foolish children, meddling in things they do not understand. Is it so hard to leave alone those things that have been put in place for good, even though their secrets may be unknown?"
The man was finally becoming irate about this whole situation, frustrated that he could do nothing more now, yet Rintho was not doing anything physical himself at this moment. It would have been completely irrational of course, but he did not think of that. "Of course it is a disatrous thing. Why else would we die over and again for its protection?"
Back to top Go down
Zay
Admin
Zay

Things that I am :
  • SR Salamander
  • Medium Poster
  • Platypus
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Minion of Monty
  • Underling of Eldar

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2013 1:26 pm

For a man so ancient and respected, Rintho had expected better, but truly...whether only in spirit or ghost, most beings seemed...difficult. Single minded and unwavering, in fact, the dragon was a better sort than the man, but Rintho stilled his tongue from speaking such thoughts.
"Thankyou Irael." He said simply, unappreciative toward someone whom he had thought might have been much better. But now only wanted to give up, scorn him for not knowing just as was intended, and sink into his bitter pit of death and damned be the consequences upon the mortal land. Rintho did not have time for such thinking, feeling already sharply disillusioned to this 'legendary' figure. Nevermind the legendary strength of the creatures inthe fall itself, and even the stone...
All were fallible in a way he had not quite thought they would be before, they were far less than the divine image that was so commonly thought far and wide...they were fragile.
"That what must be done now? If the free magic is unleashed..." He persisted, rutting with his words back against Celen's haughtiness.
Back to top Go down
Rogue
Rogue

Things that I am :
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Underling of Eldar

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2013 1:30 pm

Celen continued to walk up and down, feeling his dragon watching him and his attention close by. It felt strange not to have their mental connection in this state, so used to hearing the dragon's thoughts filter through his own easily. Like this, he felt half blinded against what Irael was feeling.
More positive than his companion, for certain. Celen always got like this when they lost their bodies for a while, suddenly disheartened and much more negative. It was a failure against the Arch Mage's wishes every time, he said. With Rintho close, he couldn't speak quietly to Celen and give reassurance however; and there had always been safety for one of them in the past. He understood his rider's switching moods, but it did not make the man look quite as great as he was to onlookers.
Celen, Irael rumbled, stopping the man from continuing his tirade for now. It could wait for later- it would. At least the man listened to him. Our magic is strong. It will take time, but we will return to our bodies and guard this place again, one or both of us. Then, we will protect what is left of the stone and its magic. The other stones cannot become corrupted or destroyed. If the lightning stone is, then they must be protected. They are of far more importance than any one life, even yours, prolonged through your state as it is.
Back to top Go down
Artemis
Artemis

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • SR Salamander
  • DDC Dingo
  • Alarmingly Excellent
  • Dragon Hoarder
  • Troll Fanatic
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

Female Loveliness : 73

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 3:54 pm

If they had thought that the fork of lightning which had struck down the antler had been a severe backlash from the stone, it was nothing compared to the torrent of magic which was unleashed upon the unfortunate lightning-magic dragons. Staring intently at the stone as she was, for a few moments after the flash Anaekileya couldn’t see anything except a pulsing haze of white. What she could hear, though, those screeches of pain from the other dragons- it filled her with dread. As her gaze finally cleared, she hurried over to the dragons, who all seemed to be either unconscious or twitching mindlessly on the floor. A wave of doubt suddenly afflicted Anae; what if this had really been a mistake? The stones were abominations and should be destroyed, she remained convinced of that, but was it worth paying this price- the lives of her brothers and sisters, potentially. She had been the one to lead them here… what if she was leading them to their doom?

But in a moment, Vythiweiah was standing strong beside her. The presence of her sister was reassuring- all of Maledictus Eice had come willingly, after all. Every one of them had the same desire for revenge, to regain their homeland.
“We must move them away from the stone,” Anae said, trying to keep her voice even and firm. “Quickly-”
Working together, those dragons who had the strength moved every one of the fallen out of the chamber all the way back to the mouth of the hall of pictures- putting a corner between them and the stone would hopefully help to protect them. After assigning a pair of dragons to stand watch over them, the rest of ME returned to the main cavern to examine the stone.

Grave as the cost might have been, it was showing definite signs of damage now. Light moved across its surface unevenly, occasionally flaring and releasing a small shower of sparks. Perhaps that shouldn’t have seemed dangerous- they were as tiny as fireflies, hardly noticeable next to the dragons’ bulk- but something about them made Anae feel deeply unsettled. She’d never been comfortable with strong or intangible magic, and this definitely constituted both. One change she didn’t understand, though, was a faint blue haze which hung about the stone- barely noticeable, but definitely there. She didn’t want to get too close, but she inched forwards with caution, until she felt it- a bizarre impression of magic, but not like she’d ever encountered it before. It felt wild, somehow, undefined- and, after a second, she realised that it made her feel awful. It was overwhelming, somehow, despite its small quantity; shaking her head to clear her mind, she backed away hastily.
“It is obvious that this process is more dangerous than we imagined,” she sighed once she had retreated to a safe distance. “This is magic we do not really understand, and perhaps should not have meddled with… But there is no undoing what we have done. We must decide if we will continue, make sacrifices to change Dragons Cove for the better- or if we will retreat now.” She hated the idea of giving up when they had come so far already, but it was better than bullying her brothers and sisters into doing something they didn’t want to do. Any dragon who backed out now would not be considered as a deserter; this was a different kind of battle entirely.

For a minute, the only reaction to her words was uneasy muttering amongst the ranks. Then, finally, a few dragons stood and lifted their heads to regard the clubtails, vowing to continue and make whatever sacrifice had to be made to free their homeland. Slowly, nearly all of the other dragons joined them, until only a few remained, shifting uneasily, apparently unable to decide what to do. One had recently become a father and, after a moment’s discussion with Vythiweiah, he retreated to watch over those already fallen. One other slinked away with her head hung low, apparently ashamed of herself but fleeing all the same. The others joined the formation which had been assembled once again, this time with the clubtails closest to the stone in an attempt to give some protection to the others. Looking back over the ranks, Anae swelled with pride- despite everything, still Maledictus Eice held strong, ready to fight once more.

This time, when they began to send out their magic, they did not hesitate as lightning forked out stronger than ever. They had raised up several tall spires of rock in hopes that it would attract some of the energy, and they did, taking blast after blast which might otherwise have hit one of the dragons- but there were still more which did strike dragons, blasting them to the ground from where they were carried away to relative safety with the others. All the time, the onslaught continued, until Anae herself was struck. The strike was weaker than some and she was stronger than most, but all the same it brought her crashing to the ground, her mind addled. Around her, she felt the flow of magic falter in uncertainty, the dragons unsure whether or not to continue- as best she could, she urged Vythiweiah on with her mind, until she distantly heard her sister call out “Keep going!”. It took some time- how long, she couldn’t say- but eventually Anae managed to drag herself back to her feet and engage herself in the flow of magic once more, albeit feebly.

Gradually, the stone’s glow grew ever more unstable, until it pulsed erratically- totally dark until it sent out a huge band of light along with a tongue of lightning. The blue haze around it became denser and darker, expanding out to the rest of the room and forcing the dragons to back away from it- it had darkened to a deep midnight blue now, and seemed to be growing ever faster. Their numbers were greatly reduced- she hardly dared to think what condition those who had been struck down might be in. She herself was scarcely able to stand, and it was only sheer willpower which allowed that. Others, she knew, had fared much worse- though her lack of magical power didn’t seem to have stood her in good stead. All she could do was pray that none had died, yet somehow she knew that they had.

When the moment came, it came without warning. Another pulse of light began to build up inside the stone, exploding to the surface like every one before it- but the haze of lightning which came with it this time was like no other before it. The blast shook the cavern, setting off a chain of rumbling which sounded less than safe. If, by some miracle, none had died before, then they did now- a blitz of lightning forked out in every direction, scattering their formation and sending the dragons scurrying away in terror. As the light from this final blast died away, leaving the stone standing dark and empty, that deep and ominous blue haze began to spread faster than any could hope to run from it.
An old dragon from Bolarf had once told her about the massive waves which apparently afflicted the coast every few decades; rising from the sea like an avenging god, they were unstoppable, tearing through everything in their wake with no regard for what it might be. Once, he had said, a leviathan dragon had even been washed away into the sea by such a wave. She had scoffed, dismissed the stories as exaggerations. Now, though, looking at this wall of incomprehensible magic, she felt that she could understand the scale and the power of such a thing. She wanted to flee, desperately, but her legs wouldn’t carry her- and even if they had, it would have done no good. One by one, all of the dragons were swamped by the mist, engulfed in this magic which was so uncontrollably powerful. It felt fierce, feral, battering the dragons and tearing past them without so much as hesitating. Much to her horror, though, it didn’t stop. The magic kept on pouring out of the empty stone- it might have become slightly weaker after the initial rush, but it was still enough that Anae couldn’t begin to put a thought together. Yet somehow, despite how terrible it was, there was a strange attraction to this magic as well- an ancient instinct roused, recognising this long-forgotten magic.

Somehow, a few of the dragons with stronger magic seemed to have fared better. The old ice dragon had managed to stagger over to Anae, the euphorn at his side, and between them they roused her enough that she was able to stand once more. From a glance at the euphorn, she suspected he was easing her burden somewhat; he looked terribly strained, his eyes half-closed in concentration. There was no time for gratitude now, though. Gradually, they moved among the dragons, bullying each one into rising and staggering away down the corridor. The dead, they left; there was nothing to be done about them now. None of them had the strength left to move themselves properly, let alone carry their deceased away to be laid to rest properly. Finally- she didn’t know how- they made their way through the labyrinth, up all those passages, all the way to the first chamber where they had landed so long ago. The further they went from the destroyed stone, the easier the magic became to bear- but it still wasn’t easy. Vaguely, Anae was aware of chambers collapsing around them, but she didn’t have the presence of mind to think about anything except getting out. It seemed impossible to spread her wings and lift herself into the air, yet somehow she managed it, realising about halfway up that she was carrying a smaller, wingless dragon with her. Where she had found the strength from, she couldn’t imagine, but she knew that she couldn’t allow herself to flag now. After everything she had led Maledictus Eice through, she couldn’t desert them when they needed a leader most.

It wasn’t until some time later that she finally began to be able to think straight. They had been trekking aimlessly through the jungle, their only goal to escape the magic- its presence still lingered even now, but weakly enough that they were able to collect themselves somewhat. None of the dragons knew what they had done, or what they would do next, but there was nothing left to do now except continue their journey, keep moving away from this magic which was so unbearable.

Behind them, the lightning stone too continued- continued to unleash its devastating wake.
Back to top Go down
Stormkatz
Stormkatz

Things that I am :
  • ME Meercat
  • DDC Dingo
  • "Nice Girl"
  • Troll
  • Medium Poster
  • Chatbox Spammer
  • Really Too Kind
  • Rebel of Rogue

Female Loveliness : 16

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2014 12:11 am

Dyavol never once left the group responsible for the main attack on the stone – although he was a very weak magic user, he offered all the help he was able. However, once the stone showed signs of wear, he felt a hint of dread wash over him. The untamed magic ws brutal, and as the explosion of lightning forked through the group, he pulled back slightly. He missed the bulk of the attack, but a branch off the main fork struck the furthest pinin his tail, sending a shock up his spine. It hurt, and almost stunned him out of the air, but the metal took the worst of the strike, and he wasn't hurt as badly as many of the others.

He didn’t quite manage to retain his position in the air, and fell a few feet in the process, but he refused to leave the group to go with the injured. He insisted he was still fine – the red heat of the fight beforehand was still numbing his body, and his mind was fixed on their main objective: destroy the stone that enslaved their magical capabilities.

Everything was a bit of a blur beyond that. The stone began to let out magic at a startling rate, and the force of it did actually blow his wings off course, sending him spiralling uncontrollably through the cavern until he found himself with the injured dragons. Before he knew what was happening, they were all fleeing. He managed to fly some of the way himself, but then his wings refused to do any more, and it was all he could do to cling onto the nearest larger dragon and hope they could escape alive. After that, he didn’t recall anything until they reached the jungle again.

---

Oceianna’s wing began to throb more andmore as the magical struggle continues, and soon her energy reserves were too low to offer any great help. She retreated to the group of injured dragons, and slumped with the others, gritting her teeth against each pulse of pain through her wing and front quarters.

Her old master had once said something about what might happen if a stone was damaged, but until the wave of raw magic actually hit her, she had no idea what it would be like. She withstood the magical blow better than some dragons, but it quickly became clear that they wuld have to leave before the cavern fell down around them. She helped some of the other injured dragons to their feet, and led them back as far as she could, before the main force joined them in a dash to the point they had entered the Fall.

Her injury was too painful to fly up the fall again, but Ocei was a smaller dragon, and light besides, so a kindly dragon amongst the ranks must have helped her out of the great pit. She remembered a lot of the journey away from the Fall too, although others claimed that their memories were too hazy. Maybe she only thought she remembered.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)   (SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board) - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

(SW of Celen's Fall) Hunting to Kill (17th Board)
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6